friend went to hand in her late assignment today but Uni closed - what can she do??? (1 Viewer)

N.U.G.

HSC
my friend studies at a Melbourne University, her assignments were due on Monday but she didn't get them finished until today. She went in to hand them in but the Uni was closed due to it being a Public Holiday in Melbourne today. She loses 10% for each day its late so to avoid getting an additional 10% taken off for today is there anything she can do?

I was thiking mayeb she could seal it and have a Justice of the Peace sign it or something but I really have no idea...

anyone?

HSC
N.U.G. said:
my friend studies at a Melbourne University, her assignments were due on Monday but she didn't get them finished until today. She went in to hand them in but the Uni was closed due to it being a Public Holiday in Melbourne today. She loses 10% for each day its late so to avoid getting an additional 10% taken off for today is there anything she can do?

I was thiking mayeb she could seal it and have a Justice of the Peace sign it or something but I really have no idea...

anyone?
Email it to the university/lecturer/faculty etc. as proof of completetion of the assignment, then she should have a better chance of not getting extra penalties.

Generator

HSC
N/A
I doubt that emailing the piece a day before it is submitted on paper will count for much because few, if any, markers would bother to read through both to ensure that the one submitted on paper actually matches the one attached to the email. At this hour and on a public holiday, seeking out a JP doesn't make much sense, and even if one could track down a JP in all likelihood the academic would just ask why the student didn't bother to be so diligent prior to the due date.

She will be penalised, and, as jezzmo said, it isn't as though the public holiday appeared out of nowhere. It's her own fault, and now she must pay the price.

N.U.G.

HSC
Generator said:
I doubt that emailing the piece a day before it is submitted on paper will count for much because few, if any, markers would bother to read through both to ensure that the one submitted on paper actually matches the one attached to the email. At this hour and on a public holiday, seeking out a JP doesn't make much sense, and even if one could track down a JP in all likelihood the academic would just ask why the student didn't bother to be so diligent prior to the due date.

She will be penalised, and, as jezzmo said, it isn't as though the public holiday appeared out of nowhere. It's her own fault, and now she must pay the price.
true. she's an International Student and thsi is her first year im Australia and she had no idea about it being a public holiday today. yeah, i guess there's nothing she can do. From the sounds of it that extra 10% will most likely means she'll fail whcih is a shame

thanks anyway

stazi

Nightman
HSC
usually a weekend is counted as one day, a public holiday is an extension of a weekend, thus sat, sun, monday should only get 10% off

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
A weekend is usually counted as one day? I've never seen that policy before...

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Lazarus said:
A weekend is usually counted as one day? I've never seen that policy before...
MKTG1002:
4.5.2 Penalties for late assessments

Late submission will be penalised by a deduction of 10% per working day (weekends: Sat & Sun, will be regarded as 1 day late) of the available mark (e.g. 2 days late = -20%, 3 days late= -30%, etc.).

MKTG2002:

4.5.2. Penalties for late assessments
Students will be penalised at a rate of 10% per working day for assessments received after the due date.

WORK1002:
No indication of whether w/e is counted as an extra day or 3 days, but i think my friend got only 10% deducted and submitted on a monday

GOVT1406
Late Work
Late submission of written work will result in a deduction of 10% of the mark
awarded for each week or part thereof beyond the due date, or date to which
an extension has been given.

^Not really a good indicator, because it's deducted weekly

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
Some unis/lecturers consider handing an assignment in before 8/9am as being handed in the day before. Also try talking to the lecturer about it and perhaps get some fake tears ready and a sob story.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
That's bloody leniant...
In my course, each weekend day is counted as a day late

ManlyChief

Manly: 7 miles from Sydney, 1000 miles from care
HSC
stazi said:
usually a weekend is counted as one day, a public holiday is an extension of a weekend, thus sat, sun, monday should only get 10% off
but monday wasn't the public holiday - tuesday (i.e. melbourne cup day) was, wasn't it?

ps - bloody slack eco+bus faculty policy! even the arts faculty can count the two days of the weekend ... and your faculty is supposed to be training our future accountants?!?! oi weh ...

pps - bloody melbourne - a whole day off for a 3-minute race?! couldn't they just get pissed at work during the arvo like everyone else in the country? ... they think they are sooooo special ... :)

Benny1103

HSC
N/A
Lol that's weird. Some physics tutorials were running today.

Edit: Nevermind I thought you meant Melbourne Uni.

Last edited:

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
In my faculty weekends and public holidays are just tough shit. They are all a day.

shannonm

HSC
N/A
for us, late work is simply not accepted

be happy you at least have the option of spending an extra day on your assignments with only a 10% deduction.

tomorrows_angel

tomorrow is too soon...
HSC
Ms 12 said:
In my faculty weekends and public holidays are just tough shit. They are all a day.
education faculty at usyd doesn't count weekends at all. 5% per weekday. which is weird cos it gives people so much more time on a weeked, but i was happy cos when i submitted an essay late 2 weeks ago i'd been working all weekend and had done nothing at all on it on the weekend. Though it's still unfair to those whose faculties count weekends.

and if there was a zero late tolerance i'd be screwed... i've handed in like 4 assingments late this semester!

stazi

Nightman
HSC
shannonm said:
for us, late work is simply not accepted

be happy you at least have the option of spending an extra day on your assignments with only a 10% deduction.
Whoa! Where is this?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Depends on faculty

I did a business law subject last semester where assignments were not accepted at all after the deadline (unless of course you had a doctors certificate or something official), so you either hand it in, or get 0 and fail the course

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
ManlyChief said:
pps - bloody melbourne - a whole day off for a 3-minute race?! couldn't they just get pissed at work during the arvo like everyone else in the country? ... they think they are sooooo special ... :)
It's to attend the race, not just to see the race.

You can't just rock up at the last minute to see it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)