Fresh grad or experienced tutor? (1 Viewer)

chxx1234

HSC
Hi guys, do you think that fresh grad (with state ranks/very high hsc mark) would be a better tutor than experienced tutors for English as they are more familiar to the new syllabus? And maybe they are closer to your age so they understand you more? I know different people have different experiences and learning methods but I would like to know what you think.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
I think this would come down to each particular case.

Generally speaking, experienced English tutors tend to be more reliable. A recent grad may get very high HSC marks/state ranks, but in most cases lacks tutoring experience, meaning they could face problems in explaining certain concepts/techniques to their students whereas an experienced tutor may not struggle to get their idea across.

Directrix

Forklift Certified
HSC
Hi guys, do you think that fresh grad (with state ranks/very high hsc mark) would be a better tutor than experienced tutors for English as they are more familiar to the new syllabus? And maybe they are closer to your age so they understand you more? I know different people have different experiences and learning methods but I would like to know what you think.
Yourself

dasfas

HSC
eh, I'd go with the state ranker as they might have some tips that every experienced tutors don't have. If you feel like they aren't great at communicating how they did so well, then go for the experienced tutor.

Duskheaven

HSC
Fresh grad but only if they've done the exact texts you've done unless the experienced tutor is highly knowledgeable which is far from guaranteed. Obviously, high school English text analysis isn't the pinnacle of English writing and my sister can rip Band 6 essays to shreds. Genuinely helps when she tutors.

black.mamba

HSC
i don't think communication would be much of a problem for most english state rankers
regardless, i'd probably go with the experienced teacher given that (in my experience) their teaching skills are more refined and they are better are improving the average / above-average student

dasfas

HSC
Fresh grad but only if they've done the exact texts you've done unless the experienced tutor is highly knowledgeable which is far from guaranteed. Obviously, high school English text analysis isn't the pinnacle of English writing and my sister can rip Band 6 essays to shreds. Genuinely helps when she tutors.
Yeah agreed, if the fresh grad hasn't done the texts, then experienced wins out. The main utility from the fresh grad that state ranks is that they have tips and tricks that other teachers may not have.

The experienced teacher that has been but not studying can lose touch with the tips/tricks after a while. They might be able to teach you the content better, but they won't be able to give you the little optimisations on how to be more productive and waste less time than a student who has just gone through the HSC

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)