Freaking out about your exams? (1 Viewer)

First years: Freaked out about your exams?

• No, because I honestly don't care.

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • No... but I should be.

Votes: 13 20.6%
  • Yes, because I know next to nothing about the course.

Votes: 30 47.6%
  • Yes, but it's only standard pre-exam nervousness.

Votes: 15 23.8%

• Total voters

darkroomgirl

HSC
Is anyone else freaking out about their upcoming exams? I just found out that the 'essential' bibiliography for one of my subjects was exactly that: ESSENTIAL. Duh, right? But considering there's more than 40 books in that list, I didn't think anyone would've been bothered to read all of them. Now, I have to trek down to Fisher just to scan through all of them, and I'm FREAKING out. So far I've got a distinction average (just) for the subject, but I'm thinking the exam's totally gonna bring me down.

Anyway. That was my sob story. Anyone else procrastinating out there?

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A
YES DEFINATELY. I JUST WANT TO PASS MY SUBJECTS SO I NEVER HAVE TO TOUCH THEM AGAIN.

I think the fact that school was compulsory and now Uni lectures aren't, really got to me. I think after the mid-sems, I spent more time at UTS than at USyd.. :eek:

I just want to pass....

EDIT: 'I know next to nothing about the course' was chosen.

Last edited:

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
I'm on the edge of freaking out. I've been treating STUVAC like a mini-holiday and I'm slowly realising how much cramming I have to do now :eek:

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
I've attended over 50% of classes for only 2 subjects, so stuvac is going to be one massive learning session. Should turn out alright.

spank_meh

add me on MSN NOW!!!!
HSC
its kinda weird i did study but at the same time i had these distracting moments wen id be like pfffffffft lol who cares nd go watch tv or go oh here /like now/ and yeah..

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Ah, the poll just got added. I didn't realise this was for 1st years. Oh well.

I, of all people, drew up a magnificent plan of what to study and do for each day of STUVAC until next Tuesday (my first exam). Needless to say, I'm failing miserably at keeping to the plan. I didn't even do the minimum required of me on the first day of Stuvac. So pathetic.

Am trying to madly catch up now but it's looking pretty lame :(

darkroomgirl

HSC
It seriously doesnt help that the World Cup is on as well... and all the games are at a time where my brain functions at its best. Grrr. Im so distracted.

Ah well. C'est la vie! Que sera sera! *inserts other foreign phrases which indicate that I don't care*

lala2

Banned
HSC
I'm procrastinating so badly lol. I'm easing off BOS relatively well I reckon, but then all these games look so tempting....grr :mad1:

I'm traeting stuvac like a holiday...not good. Chemistry first up, 60% organic chemistry (which I suck at), and the exam worth 75%....and I've only just started learning the reactions :(

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A
Sarah168 said:
Ah, the poll just got added. I didn't realise this was for 1st years. Oh well.

I, of all people, drew up a magnificent plan of what to study and do for each day of STUVAC until next Tuesday (my first exam). Needless to say, I'm failing miserably at keeping to the plan. I didn't even do the minimum required of me on the first day of Stuvac. So pathetic.

Am trying to madly catch up now but it's looking pretty lame :(
lol me too. :)

Also, past two days.... went out to watch WC games, didn't study at all on monday and tuesday, yes it is pretty lame... :(

HSC
I had my first exam dream since the HSC finished two nights ago...it involved my pen running out and me deciding to leave the exam room to go to the newsagents...

Im not too worried about the exams...Im doing Barts so most of my subjects just need semi-coherent waffle, but I doubt Ill be getting anything too much higher than a 60 in all of them

Some_Guy

HSC
Ive just been reading over the lecture notes and realising I dont have a fucking clue whats going on.

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
Silver Persian said:
I doubt Ill be getting anything too much higher than a 60 in all of them
Well, obviously you want to do well, but hey, P's (Passes) = degrees, so don't stress too much.

Some_Guy said:
Ive just been reading over the lecture notes and realising I dont have a fucking clue whats going on.
Well thats what we're here for! Try asking some of us if you have a pressing question, e-mail your tutor/lecturer, talk to others in your unit - if you don't ask, you'll never know. Studying helps of course as well, but don't be shy to ask questions! :)

Also, I'll quote what I said in the other thread:

ujuphleg said:
Can I just say to all of you though (talking to the first years here) that this isn't the HSC - don't freak out too much. I found the graduating class of 2005 to be the most paranoid yet, and your collective attitude towards university seems to be of much the same wavelength. Chill out a little, take it easy, read over your lecture notes, talk to other people who did the same units as you, apply yourself a little bit and you'll be ok. You can't be completley stupid to have got into university, so work a little and you'll be fine.

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
Yes I also realised studying for uni exams is nothing like studying for HSC exams. First, the content is A LOT less. For majority of my subjects we only get tested on the second half of the semester, and some we only get tested on 2 texts which is fantastic. I do realise other subjects are not like this, but uni exams aren't as bad as hsc. Just keep reading your notes and do practice questions if they're available. It's daunting, I know. But definitely not something to get sick over. If you've done your assignments, been to lectures and tutes, and done some study over stuvac, then you won't (shouldn't) fail.

I couldn't really pick an answer from the poll. I'm going to be the black sheep and say that I'm not freaking out about exams coz I have done study for a good week now. I've memorised most of the work for my english subjects, and I'm basically only worried about getting evil questions in Stats. But my exam isn't for another 1.5 weeks so I'll be worried about that later, only because I need a Credt Avg in that subject. Otherwise, I'm cool. Just studying and taking well-deserved breaks, etc

darkroomgirl

HSC
grk_styl said:
Yes I also realised studying for uni exams is nothing like studying for HSC exams. First, the content is A LOT less. For majority of my subjects we only get tested on the second half of the semester, and some we only get tested on 2 texts which is fantastic. I do realise other subjects are not like this, but uni exams aren't as bad as hsc. Just keep reading your notes and do practice questions if they're available. It's daunting, I know. But definitely not something to get sick over. If you've done your assignments, been to lectures and tutes, and done some study over stuvac, then you won't (shouldn't) fail.
That's true. And also, I've realised that the fact that we're not striving for an over-90 mark takes a lot of the pressure off. I mean, I never knew I could be so giddy over a 70. The standards are really, really different.

lala2

Banned
HSC
Thanks ujuphleg, for those comforting words of wisdom. I wanna pass so I never have to see organic chem and statistics again (though knowing pharmacy, I probably will!).

I just wanna ask if the below is this a good way of thinking about it? Currently:

BIOL1101--38.8/50--78% average
CHEM1611--19/25--76% average
MATH1606--25/30--83% average
PHAR1615--64/80--80% average

Therefore, in order to pass:

BIOL--11.2/50=22.4% needed to pass
CHEM--31/75=41% needed to pass
MATH--25/70=36% needed to pass
PHAR--already passed but need to get 50% on paper to pass unit (some silly rule thing)

Good idea or not? I'm worried about scaling. And on that note, has anyone not needed to even pass their exam to pass a unit of study, like my situation above?

darkroomgirl

HSC
Malfoy said:
I'm freaked out because not only do I know next to nothing about some courses (ENGL1002; still no idea what's in the exam), but I don't know exactly what's in the exam for others (EDUF1018; HSTY1025). Urgh.
Oh yay! Someone who's doing my subjects!!!!

darkroomgirl

HSC
Malfoy said:
Yay! I know what you mean. Do you have any clue what's in the EDUF1018 exam? I work on Thursdays and that's my only lecture on a Thursday so work overrides it.

(Lol, I wonder if you were in any of my tutes.)
Hey I PM'd you... we'll discuss it over there :)

G

Gavvvvvin

Damage Inc. said:
I only went to lectures in the first week for all my subjects and the compulsory shit like labs and tutes. I'm going to pass easily.
same...i thought uni was gonna be heaps hard when i first started...but then I realised its just as easy to bluff your way through as highschool.

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
lala2 said:
Thanks ujuphleg, for those comforting words of wisdom. I wanna pass so I never have to see organic chem and statistics again (though knowing pharmacy, I probably will!).

I just wanna ask if the below is this a good way of thinking about it? Currently:

BIOL1101--38.8/50--78% average
CHEM1611--19/25--76% average
MATH1606--25/30--83% average
PHAR1615--64/80--80% average

Therefore, in order to pass:

BIOL--11.2/50=22.4% needed to pass
CHEM--31/75=41% needed to pass
MATH--25/70=36% needed to pass
PHAR--already passed but need to get 50% on paper to pass unit (some silly rule thing)

Good idea or not? I'm worried about scaling. And on that note, has anyone not needed to even pass their exam to pass a unit of study, like my situation above?
My advice? Just do the best you can do, then you can ask nothing more of yourself.

As far as I was aware, you need to achieve at least a pass in all of your assessments to pass the course. I thought that was a University-wide rule. But obviously not! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)