Frankenstein and Blade Runner Essay Questions (1 Viewer)

levelup888

HSC
With the 2012 HSC question for Frankenstein and Blade Runner, I'm not sure on how to approach it and how to answer it. Can anyone please give me ideas? :confused2:

"Our intrest in the parallels between Frankenstein and BLade Runner is further enhanced by consideration of their marked difference in textual Form.

Evaluate this statement in light of your comparative study of Frankenstein and Blade Runner"

Last edited:

jayce1555

HSC
I believe you just have to talk about how their differences (textual form) and similarities (parallels) are influenced by their context

RamizG

HSC
I think it's stating that: Our interests in the similarities of Frankenstein and Blade Runner ( I believe you talk about the common themes) are portrayed through their textual form ( Novel and Film)

Luke.Olah-Jewel

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
As in all things to do with HSC English you must return to the rubric whether it is Area of Study or any of the electives, whenever the examination committee composes the HSC questions there only reference point is the rubric, in fact the only criteria for the examination committee accepting or rejecting an essay question is whether it adheres to the concepts included in the rubric. So let us examine the rubric for this module:

MODULE A: Comparative Study of Texts and Context
Elective 2: Texts in Time
In this elective students compare how the treatment of similar content in a pair of texts composed in different times and contexts may reflect changing values and perspectives. By considering the texts in their contexts and comparing values, ideas and language forms and features, students come to a heightened understanding of the meaning and significance of each text.

The word "parallels" has to be read as what ideas and concepts are common to both texts.That in itself is quite easy,as you discuss such things as the conflict between human morality and scientific advancement. The importance of nature and the environment in both texts and the definition of what it is to be human are the monster and Roy, more human than their human counterparts. However although these themes are found in both texts, their interpretations are entirely different because of the entirely different contexts in which they were created; that is the early 19th century and the late 20th century. The interpretation of the meaning is also dramatically changed by the difference in textual form. Most glaringly Blade Runner is a motion picture film and as such a visual text. It relies on images to represent its meaning, so there is far less interior monologue. You don't get to hear the thoughts and feelings of the characters as directly as would in a novel, where the character speaks directly to you. Although you have dialogue in films and much of it is critical for understanding, it is the images which communicate meaning. Both texts are very successful in what they do but it is done in two profoundly different ways. One strand of the question asks you to evaluate the statement ,so you must clearly argue whether the textual form differences enhance our interest ....I would argue yes, it does while at the same time I would thoroughly explain what those parallels are. Hope this helps. Please let me know = )

Luke

Last edited:

miss study

HSC
if you realise that it also is an open ended question, you can disagree and state that its not through the textual form.... and then take it away from there but make sure you back up your argument and always link back!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)