FOX news review of kanye west's 'late registration' (1 Viewer)

HSC
suprise suprise, bill o reillys employers review kanyes album, and they DONT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT HIP HOP, proof is in the review.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,168551,00.html

Rapper Kanye West's blurt-out on Friday night's telethon is still reverberating.

But one thing's for sure: His new album, "Late Registration," was already set to debut at No. 1 today on the charts. He's thought to have sold upward of a whopping 900,000 copies in his opening week.

I'm told that West was serious, by the way, when he uttered those now famous words: "George Bush doesn't care about black people."

He didn't just blurt it out anxiously. It was intentional.

The word is that West has revved up friends like Jamie Foxx, who does his Ray Charles impression on West's new album. This may not be the end of their take on how race is perceived in the music business.

Whether or not you agree or disagree with West, one thing's for sure: He's determined to make his name one way or another.

The big question will be how the Grammys receive "Late Registration," an album that's landed him on the cover of Time magazine. How will the awards judges handle all the samples and guest appearances?

West's big hit single, "Diamonds From Sierra Leone," is completely based on Shirley Bassey singing "Diamonds Are Forever." The song was written by James Bond composer John Barry.

The rest of "Late Registration," while very entertaining, contains almost no original compositions.

Ironically, singer Brandy makes an appearance on one track, even though she was dumped from the new collection of Ray Charles "duets."

The producers evidently didn't think she was hip enough to remain with Charles on record. Now she's on the No. 1 album in the country.

There are plenty of other collaborators on "Late Registration" since West, you know, like Sean "Diddy" Combs and other rap entrepreneurs, does not actually sing.

Because of this, the multi-talented John Legend makes not one, but two appearances as a guest vocalist. In those cases, Legend was hired to perform by West. So too were back-up singers Tony Williams and Keyshia Cole, as was Maroon 5's Adam Levine.

But wow — look at the sampled singers. Besides Bassey, there's Bill Withers (a track of his called "Roses" is included), as well as the KayGees, Etta James on "My Funny Valentine," Orange Krush's 1982 recording called "Action" and Natalie Cole from a Michael Masser/Gerry Goffin song called "Someone That I Used to Love."

Gil Scott-Heron, a legendary performer about whom West's fans probably know zilch, is an integral part of "Late Registration" on his sampled "Home Is Where the Hatred Is." There's also an appearance by Hank Crawford on "Drive Slow."

Will all these people be listed as Grammy nominees when the time comes? If there are winners, will they all be included? That's something I'd like to see.

"Late Registration" is fun to listen to, but in many ways it's a con job. It's a clip job, too.

Try to imagine Marvin Gaye not composing all of "What's Going On?" but splicing together other people's music and recordings over which he'd chant his musings. He would have been laughed out of the business.

But times have changed. We have Alicia Keys, Anthony Hamilton, Legend and just a few R&B performers who can actually create music. The rest has to be a clever construction.

Maybe that's why West's comments on Friday night felt so jarring. As he made his unscripted remarks about race, he was sporting his usual Ralph Lauren Polo ensemble. These would be the same clothes worn by President Bush's Kennebunkport relatives as they gaped at their television sets.

West is no N.W.A. or Chuck D. A lot of signals got crossed on Friday night. But the one that didn't is the most important: Today, "Late Registration" is No. 1, no matter how it was put together or who did it.

--------------------------------

why do these close minded fuckwits review an album of a genre they dont know anything about, obviously they did it because they are mad at kanyes recent comments

HSC
'He didn't just blurt it out anxiously. It was intentional.'

you cant just say something like that and not explain yourself or what led you to those conclusions.

its like 'yeah i know it was intentional because i can read his mind it doesnt matter that his father was a black panther'

gerhard

HSC
the whole review could be summarised to, 'rap music isnt real music, they dont even play instruments, and they just talk over the music'.

Adrian.

HSC
hiphophorray123 said:
Maybe that's why West's comments on Friday night felt so jarring. As he made his unscripted remarks about race, he was sporting his usual Ralph Lauren Polo ensemble. These would be the same clothes worn by President Bush's Kennebunkport relatives as they gaped at their television sets.

West is no N.W.A. or Chuck D.
All that is the truth. I think it was unfair for them to only attack Kanye about sampling and guest apperences though. I can understand, but don't agree with, people arguing that rap isn't really music due to sampling. I also do agree that most rap albums have way too many guest apperences. Attacking a single artist is unfair and sampling is a part of rap music so that is definatly unfair.

HSC
he has a deal with ralph lauren

his dad was a black panther

john legend is signed to his label

i dont think the reviewer knew any of these three facts.

really? he cant be passionate about one thing, because he is wearing a brand name that bush wears??? that is really childish to point that out in a review bitterly defaming someones album just because of a political stance

iwannarock

HSC
that was the funniest reviews i've ever read.

seriously it made me chuckle. if that was meant to be comical.........it was.

if that was serious, well the writer just made a fool of himself.

he used every textbook anti-rap argument there is.

man he's so convincing.

down with rap!

Adrian.

HSC
hiphophorray123 said:
really? he cant be passionate about one thing, because he is wearing a brand name that bush wears??? that is really childish to point that out in a review bitterly defaming someones album just because of a political stance
He can be passionate about anything he wants but it does seem hypocritical to have a winge about GWB not caring about black people when he's a multi millionaire (I guess). How much does he do to help black people? I'm sure there is a Kanye Foundation or something but how much does he REALLY do? I'm not saying that he should give all his money away but he obviously tries hard to get money. I doubt he needs the money he gets from RL but he takes it anyway.

For the record I agree with Kanye, GWB doesn't care about black people. I do wonder how much Kanye REALLY cares though.

gerhard

HSC
kanye's actually kinda smart in that he realises he's a hypocrite.
someone posted some of his lyrics in some other kanye thread where he basically talked about this.

HSC
Adrian. said:
He can be passionate about anything he wants but it does seem hypocritical to have a winge about GWB not caring about black people when he's a multi millionaire (I guess). How much does he do to help black people? I'm sure there is a Kanye Foundation or something but how much does he REALLY do? I'm not saying that he should give all his money away but he obviously tries hard to get money. I doubt he needs the money he gets from RL but he takes it anyway.

For the record I agree with Kanye, GWB doesn't care about black people. I do wonder how much Kanye REALLY cares though.

jay and kanye are in talks with diddy to start a fund.....

Adrian.

HSC
hiphophorray123 said:
jay and kanye are in talks with diddy to start a fund.....
The best of rap is getting together, I see.

I'm going to stop arguing now because I will admit that I don't like Kanye (in or out of music) and you obviously do like him so this will never end.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)