Four Corners Doco ... (1 Viewer)

HSC
Anyone get a chance to catch the program tonight, 8.30 on ABC? Really interesting in regards to overseas full-fee paying students and the 'dumbing down' of courses. In 10 years time we won't have many of them because China + co. are building numerous new Unis.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
I thought it was a really interesting program. We've probably all had experiences with at least one "FOB" (God I hate that term) that has absolutely no grasp of the English language and yet continues throughout their program of study.
I understand why uni's do it, and I definitely get the financial strain uni's are under ($28m of debt and 450 job cuts, anyone?) but at the same time, it has to be impacting on the quality of our degrees, which is something I sure as hell don't want.
--
On a side note, when they were showing my campus, I was like "omg, I walk on that exact spot several times a day!!" :p It was kinda odd seeing people I know, though.

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
i missed it! and i so wanted to watch it as well.. stupid stupid work... anyone tape it?

Edit: never mind.. discovered it will be on fox.. wil have to be nice to someone so they can tape it for me

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
PrincessSJ said:
Edit: never mind.. discovered it will be on fox.. wil have to be nice to someone so they can tape it for me
Do you know when it will be on? I only got to catch bits of it ...

klh

HSC
it was interesting..dumbing down the courses...getting more money and the need for research and focusing on "excellence"...
I just thought that the old CAE system seemed better.

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
ergin ergin ergin stupid people dumbing down courses and cutting things back!
erg @ them!!

KD

HSC
N/A
At UNSW academics do not know the status of students in the course (HECS, full fee, overseas etc. etc.) therefore there is no bias in their marking. It is not good practice to reduce the standard of your course for overseas students as it will eventually get back to future students that the degree isn't worth the paper it's printed on and they will cease to come.

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
erm princessSJ i don't think it's the students that are dumbing the course, it's the universities. the students don't decide who passes the course, the university does. the students are the targets of this marketing campaign to lure them to our universities to get a degree. i think the point is that universities are under pressure to do this because the government sees it as a plausible way to fund this country's education system.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)