• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Foundation Mathematics (1 Viewer)

tomtom1991

HSC
It seems im doing foundation mathematics instead of maths mod 1, just wondering, does the course take loner because of this?? Also, is foundation mathematics just the 2 unit course again, because if it is, im taking the 3 unit bridging course atm, and that is like 70% 2 unit again, would suck to have to learn the 2 unit course for a third time =='

~Islanzadí~

HSC
It seems im doing foundation mathematics instead of maths mod 1, just wondering, does the course take loner because of this?? Also, is foundation mathematics just the 2 unit course again, because if it is, im taking the 3 unit bridging course atm, and that is like 70% 2 unit again, would suck to have to learn the 2 unit course for a third time =='
Well it depends on whether you are doing a combined engineering degree or a single engineering degree.
If you are doing a single engineering degree then no, it will not extend the length of your course, as it will only take the place of one of your elective subject spots.

If however you are doing are doing a combined degree it may or may not. The idea is that you do Foundation Maths in Semester, 1 then Mathematical Mod 1 in Semester 2 and finally Mathematical Mod 2 over the UTS summer session. This way by year 2, you will not be behind your fellow peers. However if you don’t elect to do Maths Mod 2 over the summer session then it will extend the length of your combined degree. This is because all your electives for a combined degree are already filled and the Foundation Maths would be considered an extra subject.

As for Foundation Maths being like the HSC 2-unit course, well yes it obviously will include that, as the Mathematical Readiness Survey demonstrated that you don’t have a strong enough grasp of the 2-unit Mathematics course. As it is described on the UTS website “This subject aims to increase a student's chance of success at university by developing essential knowledge and skills in the areas of algebra, functions, calculus and probability”. So it will include everything that’s necessary preparation in order to succeed in Mathematical Modeling 1.
PS: Even if you do the 3-Unit bridging course, from my understanding you will still have to do Foundation Maths if you failed the survey. Hope this helped.

b1gboyjames

Banned
HSC
mate you dont need a foundation course if you did 2 unit. ffs, I did 2 unit in high school and I smashed maths mod 1. I know so many students who did the foundation course even when they did 2 unit ended up regretting it.

tomtom1991

HSC
Im going to ask if i can get out of the foundation maths course, the 3 unit course has refreshed everything i learnt at school. When i did the survey i wasnt prepared for a maths test, 2-3months after the hsc i didnt recall everything i learnt over the two years because i had be relaxing. Hopefully i can get out of it, but im really doubting that i can.

b1gboyjames

Banned
HSC
Just un enroll and enroll into maths mod 1.

maths mod 1 is a fucking joke of a subject

dim987654321

HSC
:headbang:just go straight for maths mod 1, its pretty easy mate. the resources and lecturer are awesome, if you fail this no offense but you probs shouldnt be doing engineering....

just put your head down and put the hours in for the study and you'll be right...

good luck~!

frenzal_dude

UTS Student
HSC
N/A
I recommend everyone does Foundation Maths, it won't take you longer to complete your degree at all, because foundation maths gets counted as an elective, and all students have to do 4 electives by the end of their course anyway.
Also foundation maths is extremely easy, in the first lecture they taught us that 2 negatives makes a plus, ie. 2--2=4.
So if you want a guaranteed High Distinction for one of your electives (you might not ever get this chance again, once you've passed mm1 you can't do foundation maths), then do foundation maths, you don't even need to go to the lectures coz it's so easy, so you'll have more time to study for other harder subjects.

And then if you want to be a step ahead of every1 else, you can do mm1 in the summer holidays and get an extra subject out of your way, so you can have 1 semester down the track where you would only need to do 3 subjects, and have a bit of a bludge!

This is what I did because I only did 2 unit, and because foundation maths was so easy, I got motivated because of my high marks, and I started to enjoy maths so much that I got a high distinction for mm1.
That's what I did, think about that compared to some of my other friends who thought they would give mm1 a go and then they ended up failing it and having to pay $900 to repeat it, and then that also added 1 more semester to their degree.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)