Forms and features... difference? (1 Viewer)

s-tressed

HSC
So I believe that a 'form' refers to techniques whilst a 'feature' refers to the type of text (memoir/film/novel) but I'm not sure?

If I'm right then what would the language features be in 'The pepper tree?' Just a short story?

Thank you for your help in advance!

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
as an English student, you will be more than capable to find language features in a short text without needing others to find it for you-I have believe that you are able to do it, particularly after reading my clarification of the difference between forms and features
essentially you have kind of mixed the two words up, text form refers to text types like memoir, newspaper article, film and novels, while textual features refers to both literal/visual or structural techniques that defines/helps us to categorise texts into different text forms, for example, textual features of a typical short story is that there is a plot-introduction, complication, denouement-although they can be twisted in various order, there is usually a resolution, it is usually only several pages-can be read in one go, and it is usually fictional-hence called short story, and for newspaper articles, right, you could have subheadings, headings, photograph, caption, short paragraphs and etc... hope this clarified some stuff up:)

and language features for a short story can be specific as in it is usually descriptive-metaphors, personification, similes and visual/multisensory imagery, basically a lot of the narrative/literary techniques-don't need to specifically differentiate it from novels, a lot of language features are the same-so you basically just find these devices-structural and literary that relates to a given question, for example, exploring a particular facet of belonging for example..

Last edited:

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
I always thought forms was structure and text type and features were techniques. If you are looking at language features, you're analysing the techniques. So you could say the short story format of "the Pepper tree" xyz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)