Formal-Long dress/ cocktail length? (1 Viewer)

shaemitchell

HSC
I dont know what to do about the dress im getting made whether it should be long or short so:

What is more appropriate at a year 12 formal a long dress or a cocktail length dress?

I dont know about other schools but my school its usually half/half.

Thanks in advance.

cuppy

HSC
N/A
have a browse through various shops and when you spot the right dress and know that it is 'the one' your question will be answered.

if it happens to be a long dress which completely covers your feet you won't have to worry as much about shoes ;)

HSC
N/A
Myself and many of my friends ended up going cocktail. Not only is it easier to dance in, but the dress can be worn again (seriously - how many times in your life will you wear a full-length dress other than at high school formals?).

That being said, it IS your Yr 12 formal, so if you find a full-length dress of your dreams, go for it.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
glitterfairy said:
seriously - how many times in your life will you wear a full-length dress other than at high school formals?
That is exactly the reason I wore a full-length dress to my year 12 formal. There are pretty much no other occasions where you can dress up like a princess.

But yeah it all depends on what you want. Just go browsing, try stuff on, see what you like. I'd already gone cocktail to 2 other formals and decided I wanted to go corset. And it worked for me.

Oh and make sure you get your dress made at a good place. A whole bunch of people got their dresses made for very cheap in Cabramatta and YOU COULD TELL. Firstly, they all wore pretty much the same dress in various shades of aqua or white. And secondly they were all appallingly sewn. They just didn't sit properly. OH and some people's dresses weren't ready on time, despite being assured they would be. Poor girl had the perfect dress being made and it arrived a week after the formal.

HSC
N/A
cuppy said:
have a browse through various shops and when you spot the right dress and know that it is 'the one' your question will be answered.

if it happens to be a long dress which completely covers your feet you won't have to worry as much about shoes ;)
Yeah but then you'd need high enough heels as to not trip over the dress..

I reckon you should just visit many shops, try on whatever you like the look of, and if you love something buy it. =)

PrettyVacant

HSC
shaemitchell said:
I dont know what to do about the dress im getting made whether it should be long or short so:

What is more appropriate at a year 12 formal a long dress or a cocktail length dress?

I dont know about other schools but my school its usually half/half.

Thanks in advance.
Go shopping, find a dress that really catches your eye, and take note of it.

Then get it made.

alby

cool duckie
HSC
vulgarfraction said:
Yeah but then you'd need high enough heels as to not trip over the dress..
if you're getting it made they'll (or definitely should) make it long enough so that it covers as much as you want it to without you tripping on it or anything

HSC
N/A
Haha yeah I think I managed to skim over the 'made' bit.

Can I ask why you're insisting on having it made? Just for better fit?

shoegal1490

HSC
I personally think by year 12 you probably should just go with cocktail. But if you have chunky/unflattering legs, stick with a bit of a longer dress :). Gluck shopping around.

HSC
N/A
LottoX said:
It'd be highly original... sort of... Plus, you could say "Yeah, I got this dress custom-made :D"
Only issue with that, is that custom-made is inferior quality 99% of the time, unless you're buying a dress from somewhere dodgy. I'm a pretty good sewer myself (I've made a number of formal dresses and even a few wedding dresses)... and I am frequently awed by the amount of detail and effort that goes into professional sewing/tailoring. There's only so much you can do with a home machine... fancy professional-level machines have all sorts of nifty features.

Plus, ready-made stuff usually has nicer, better-quality fabrics. A basic formal dress might use up 5 metres of fabric, and you might spend $50 per metre, not to mention sewing fee (which tends to be double the cost of fabric). And for $500-750, you could BUY almost any formal dress you wanted.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)