foreign movies (1 Viewer)

miss_salty

HSC
N/A
Does anyone watch foreign movies in here (especially French, Italian, German etc)? I never really like the SBS channel but after normal movies and im too lazy to get off the couch, I switch to it.

I find foreign films fascinating - they have a maturity and subtlety with their odd humour and charm. Admittedly there are a lot of silences (which consttitue boredom for many) but the dialogue is always interesting.

I don't really know any titles seeing that i only switch to it half-way through but i loved Amelie. that's all i can remember.

malkin86

HSC
You shoulda seen "Sexy Boys" on SBS last week.. the French American Pie. w00t for sophistication. "Je me branle et j'aime ca!"

Oh, and the Baby Cart series of movies from Japan is so cool.. it's about this widower samurai with a toddler and how they go around kicking arse, and the baby cart (like a samurai-age pram) has more gadgets than James Bond. :uhhuh:

waterfowl

HSC
I like watching German films because it is good practice in German listening (the subtitles are distracting though). I also sometimes watch French films.

miss_salty

HSC
N/A
malkin86 said:
Oh, and the Baby Cart series of movies from Japan is so cool.. it's about this widower samurai with a toddler and how they go around kicking arse, and the baby cart (like a samurai-age pram) has more gadgets than James Bond. :uhhuh:
Is that 'lone cub and wolf" (or something like that) coz that show is freaken weird and funny. But i like it. I think in one episode this guy had his neck sliced open and he was speaking poetically how the sound of the wind from his slit throat was beautiful or something. lol talk about a poetic death.

phantom limb

HSC
N/A
malkin86 said:
You shoulda seen "Sexy Boys" on SBS last week.. the French American Pie. w00t for sophistication. "Je me branle et j'aime ca!"
i love that movie!

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
I wish I knew french.

Whats the best way to learn?

tommywatts

yeah weird but very interesting. Though it was boring, I was compelled to watch a man scrubbing his plate at the sink for 10mins. :rolleyes: a lot of people don't like the long silences in foreign films since they are conditioned to like Hollywood ones with bangs and explosion.

but hey, I like French films - the french always have a maturity and sophisication as well as a lot of erotica. :uhhuh:

waterfowl

HSC
jumb said:
I wish I knew french.

Whats the best way to learn?
I think going to a French speaking country, staying with a family that doesn't speak much English and doing a language course there would be best.

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
The french scare me.

Isnt there some better country thats french speaking?

waterfowl

HSC
jumb said:
The french scare me.

Isnt there some better country thats french speaking?
Canada, New Caledonia, French Polynesia, Haiti, Switzerland (Half), Monaco.
Some parts of Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia
And quite a few African countries

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
Canada! That's (probably) the one I was (maybe) thinking of.

chepas

HSC
jumb said:
Canada! That's (probably) the one I was (maybe) thinking of.
YAY Canada! Vive le Québec (libre)!

Us French folk have a thread, albeit with a rather French-film focus http://www.boredofstudies.org/community/showthread.php?t=39893, but also for those Sunday Showcase SBS movies.

Sexy Boys was funny. :D.

I remember there was this Czech movie a while back whose name I've sadly forgotten, but it was just so heartwarming and nice.

But nothing can go past a good French farce.... The Closet, the Dinner Game, all those kind of standards...

steph@nie

narcissistic whore.
HSC
malkin86 said:

Omg. I fucking missed it and I was so wanting to see it. :(

I was hoping someone would say it was crap so that I wouldn't get bummed.

chepas

HSC
I taped it, but the frigging tape ran out 20 minutes from the end and in my frantic rush to find another tape, I come to realise a week later I taped over part of my Extension Fr. film. Shite... but anyway. Have the DVD lol....

I can't find a copy of Sexy Boys anywhere in Aust. Dang... The tape finished just at the scene where the guy was fiddling with the vibrator in the bathroom. :rolleyes::)

Sasky

HSC
i love foreign films... french ones are great. But havent seen one at the movies for awhile. Last one i saw was tais toi (I tried to put bais toi on my jersey but got busted) but wanted to see the triplets of belleville. Anyone got to see it?
Also wish i could go to uni to start a foreign film screening night. that'd be cool. Yeah, i'd think going and living in a french-speaking country would be great. If u dont like the french perhaps cananda - that'd be kewl. I want to learn spanish cause je suis est parle francais (a little anyway)...

belly_moo

burgur 'o5
HSC
bais tois ?what does that mean?

the last time i saw a foreign film was at the Dendy in newtown. it was this japanese samurai film called Zatoichi - really really good :D :D :D

Silverstone

Obey, The Law.
HSC
steph@nie said:
Omg. I fucking missed it and I was so wanting to see it. :(

I was hoping someone would say it was crap so that I wouldn't get bummed.
If youre talking about sexy boys, i saw it on World Movies - and its just crap as. They use spaghetti instead of a Pie, and thats it. You didnt miss much.

olay

HSC
belly_moo said:
bais tois ?what does that mean?

the last time i saw a foreign film was at the Dendy in newtown. it was this japanese samurai film called Zatoichi - really really good :D :D :D
tais tois = 'shut up' in french.

last one i saw at the cinemas was barbarian invasions. and on dvd was hmm... goodbye lenin i think [that was a bit dodgy i thought]. i have a thing for foreign films too :) i think the appeal lies in the images + language cos it's exotic in comparison to our immediate environments.

and my FAVE film ever [well, top 2] is la vita e bella :)

tabularasa

HSC
There are so many foreign film i want to see but my megaplex near me doesn't play any of them. I 've seen Amelie and crouching tiger hidden dragon loved them both. Want to see Hero and goodbye lenin and the weeping camel

mack

Banned
HSC
I enjoy foreign films as well, as they often go places Hollywood movies never would. I recently watched "Irreversible" and what I saw in that stayed with me for weeks. Powerful, brutal film indeed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)