For those who work during this holiday (1 Viewer)

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
sugaryblue said:
how many shifts are you doing per week? do you ever feel exhausted? How do you cope?
I used to do seriously insane work during uni holidays. 10-16 hour shifts 7 days a week from late November to middle of February. Only had a break on Christmas day and when it rained (4 days all up). It was great money, only way I survived was with parental help, i'd head off to work at 5-8pm depending on temperature and get back 3-11am the next day, get home fall asleep, wake up and get ready for the whole thing again.

No time to cope really you either made it in one piece through the night or you had an accident or got exposed to some pretty harsh chemicals. I think I had minor poisoning once, although it could have just been a dodgey hot dog I ate but it messed me up for a week, that was a hell of a week in the field.

Wish I could be doing it now :(

But yeah parental assistance :)

Lou_86

pro procrastinator
HSC
at the moment i've been doing 10 hour shifts every day and i am pretty buggered...2moro is my day off after 6 days of work...one day off and then back to the same routine until x-mas eve....the thing that helps me cope is the amount of money i am making..but it all isnt too bad thou, cos i enjoy my job! (mind u, my feet and back still kill like hell..)

leftrightout - wat type of job were u doing?

biggles04

Banned
HSC
N/A
Lou_86 said:
at the moment i've been doing 10 hour shifts every day and i am pretty buggered...2moro is my day off after 6 days of work...one day off and then back to the same routine until x-mas eve....the thing that helps me cope is the amount of money i am making..but it all isnt too bad thou, cos i enjoy my job! (mind u, my feet and back still kill like hell..)

BiLo

steph@nie

narcissistic whore.
HSC
I can work at most 5 days a week (which I do) and I do 6-9 hrs each shift. It's pretty easy money and it's not that bad.

rumour

HSC
sugaryblue said:
how many shifts are you doing per week? do you ever feel exhausted? How do you cope?
Work 5 days a week, 8 hour shifts smoetimes with overtime.

& I don't cope that well olny started last week & my back is sore. Yes I feel exhausted, came home from work, go to sleep, wake up & get ready to go back to work. :(

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
sugaryblue you mentioned in another thread about your work marathon!! maybe it's a bit much? it'll be over soon

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
Lou_86 said:
Worked for an aerial agriculture company as a marker. Which is basically a ground support person. The company would get a series of jobs on various farms and they would send me out there to mark out where the fields are with lights. The planes would then go spray all this shit on the fields while I go monitor the weather conditions to make sure it's still legal. I then had to go collect all the lights, race to the next area to be sprayed set everything up and notify the pilot it was cool to come out.

I started with a brand new vehicle (10kms on the clock) and by the end of the season it had 20,000kms on it. I'd easily do 500kms some nights, and that was between farms and back lanes in the bush full of kangaroos and other hazards not main roads. Usually a few accidents happen every season, shit like markers getting caught when the wind changes, people driving off irrigation channel banks, hitting something sturdier than the car (ie tree). Hitting kangaroos was unusual for me, I hit 2 all the way through, some guys would come back with 4-6 dead ones every night they cleaned up on their way.

It was good because it needed a lot of different skills:
-Following instructions
-Reading maps
-Working to a tight schedule
-Working by yourself for prolonged periods of time (when there was no wind you'd just sit there for hours monitoring it while the pilot would try and catch some sleep at base)
-Communicating effectively (when a heap of bats/birds were in the area the pilot needed to know quickly. Reminding them when there is a power line running across the field. Telling farm workers what chemicals had been sparyed and how long they should wait).

But it was cool, those pilots are insane to watch, they'd come in over some trees drop to 2 metres above the ground to start spraying and then 15 metres before the next tree line just pull out. Also they usually fly UNDER power lines because spraying over them would be against the law (drift). And really once you got used to the danger side of things the idea of being able to fang it around someones property without fear of getting busted was cool too.

You hear lots of stories on how various pilots had ditched their planes in fields in the past and so on and they have really dark sense of humour because of it. Worst I saw was one marker misreading his map and going Dukes of Hazzard style into a 15 metre deep half filled irrigation ditch when he thought there was a crossing but really there wasn't. Another marker getting stuck trying to do a 3 point turn on an irrigation bank and hanging his vehicle over the side which we managed to stop falling in. Plus one pilot flying into a flock of ducks one of which he managed to catch through the windshield, blood and guts all over the inside of the cockpit.

ballerinabarbie

bundy for me
HSC
i do 40-45 hours a week (over 5 days) but i've been doing it all year and manage to cope ok... it's better when u have your 2 days off a week together.. makes it much easier...
i still manage to go out like 1-2 nights a week and not get too tired and believe me i'm a person who loves to sleep(my body needs 10 hours a night, not the recommended 8)... guess my body is just used to it all by now though
if you are really tired and have to work i reccomend berocca... and if u really need to, red bull...

sugaryblue

Living on deficit
HSC
iambored said:
sugaryblue you mentioned in another thread about your work marathon!! maybe it's a bit much? it'll be over soon
that's right (i did mention something hey ;)). it ain't that bad coz i love my two jobs at the moment. I am not sure if it's too much yet, that's why I wanna see how people are coping with work. hehe... looking at some of the comments here, my load isn't that bad at all!!

My marathon runs from 10th to 27th December, that's slightly more than two weeks. I just finished my 6th day!! so 12 more days to go... as long as the shop's busy, time flies!! I am doing weekdays at Body Shop and weekends at the airport. :D I worked at the Body SHop last year too so they called me back this year. The hours haven't been long so far so i can cope, but I think next week (the week before Christmas), i do get some insane hours!! 8 hours shifts are gonna be a killer coz have to stand for so long!! but the girls there are the nicest people I've worked with!!! As for the airport job, it's quiet pretty much most of the time and I am on my own. the good thing is that I do get to sit down and read instead of twiddling my thumbs and do nothing. LOL I just told you my entire life. haha...

what about yourself? you working this christmas?

Last edited:

Sweet_Lemon

Final Sem'
HSC
casuals don't get enough shifts...i'd rather work more time then stay at home n chat online...LOL

Katie123

Clinical is OVER
HSC
how come you all have so many shifts.
i have 1 shift a week. No weekends. and only 4 hours.
They dont put me on cos they wont work around my availabilities so the 14 yo get it

HeCtic

Dutchie
HSC
I've had 34 hours last week, 35 this week and I'm getting 44 next week at David Jones.

After that I'm expecting it to drop to around 20 per week, which'll be a relief. My shifts are normally 8 hours or 4 hours.

Lundy

Banned
HSC
I only work 2 shifts, 10 hours a week. That's how I want it, because I want an actual holiday these holidays, to get in touch with my inner bum.

Sweet_Lemon

Final Sem'
HSC
Katie123 said:
how come you all have so many shifts.
i have 1 shift a week. No weekends. and only 4 hours.
They dont put me on cos they wont work around my availabilities so the 14 yo get it
same here.. :D

timrie6

HSC
N/A
i was getting 22 hours a week but now I only get about 16, cos my supervisor got angry cos i wanted lots of time off to do fun stuff. instead of shit work.
and casuals only get 4 hours at a time now at bilo.

Dash

ReSpEcTeD
HSC
I'm working like 35-40 hours per week atm... Should ease up after christmas though...
Can't wait 4 my next paycheck... I'm gunna get sooo much $$$ :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)