for those who know ANYTHING about uni... (1 Viewer)

aLeeOh!

about to explode
HSC
i have NOOOO IDEA ABOUT anything!!!
i just need help and advice...
i know i want to go to uni... dont know which one thought nor what for... but i am thinking about public communications and the media, and law..
my problem? i dont know whether or not i am attracted to them because they sound impressive and kewl and all.. or whether or not i actually know whats in them....
at this point in time... i really think it's the first one and therefore i am sooooo unsure about everything- very postmodern of me!
so... do any of you do either public communications and the media and/or law?
or are there any other courses which are similar and you think i should consider?
ive tried to understand "stuff" but i just dont!
i only know a couple of things... i love drama.... i love english-at times.. i love talking, people and moving......
oh yeh, and my name is alee oh :)

Matthew_152

I would recommend that u do a Bachelor of media and Communications/ Bachelor of Laws degree. This is offered at some universities and seems to cover all of your interests.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
i guess you need to look past the 3/4/5 yrs of uni, and think about what you will enjoy doing in the real world...so try going to a law firm for some work experience, go to ...somewhere...that does public cummunications/media for some work experience...try lots of different things, see what you enjoy
that being said, you are going to need to enjoy your uni years...i know my uni offers a 'shadowing program' where yr 12's follow a uni student around in the same/similar degree to them for a day; whilst its not very long, you will get a snippet of uni life and the course.
also, i guess its easy for you to be influenced by what your parents/friends/family think would be a good choice for you...step back from that, ignore the 'oh, my daughter wants to be a lawyer, isnt that so good' kinda talk and focus on what you want for yourself.
also, look up in the UAC guide (be stingy-uni students are- and borrow a copy off your careers advisor or the library) what uni's offer courses which you are interested in, and go to them and wander around, you will get totally lost, but it will give you a good idea of the surroundings you will be in
also, annoy the hell out of your careers advisor, i did to mine!! they are there to help you, thats what their paid for..go and talk to them, tell them your interests and ideas and stuff, they may be able to offer suggestions you would have never of even thought of, or comfirm your ideas for courses or whatever.
umm...also talk to as many people as possible (not friends or family or whatever, unless they are in that particular field, otherwise they may influence you), tell them to be honest, you dont want all 'this job is the greatest in the world' coz in reality, all jobs have sucky aspects, find out what they are and if you could deal with them or not.

umm...thats all i can think of, hope it helped!

santaslayer

HSC
Originally posted by Matthew_152
I would recommend that u do a Bachelor of media and Communications/ Bachelor of Laws degree. This is offered at some universities and seems to cover all of your interests.
at UOW..91.00 only!!! :D

aLeeOh!

about to explode
HSC
thank you so much for replying and trying to help me out....
i guess ive always wanted to do public communications and the media... but im just not sure what it invovles...thats why im so unsure..
also, hipsta jess, how can i find out more about that shadow program?do most uni's offer it? and even if hey do.... isnt it annoying to have someone following you round all day?ha! get lost inthe first five minutes and accused of stalkin!
you see, i browse, i find things iminterested in.... but what does it actually involve? somone was tryin to explainto me about how you choose a mojor/ area in something.. or..i dont know.
maybe i'll just be a bum and bum around on my bum till i can bum no more!

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
why go to uni straight away? Why not do the mature student thing and work in the field/s that you are interested in and work out if they are the right thing (as you are a little unsure at the moment) and go in as a 21 year old with industry experience- my sister has just finished communications at CSU and some of the other ppl in her class did this and didnt regret a thing- they are now working and she isnt as experience counts!)
Why stress about which course/uni then get into something you might hate and either follow it through to completion and be out 1000's of $$ or drop it after a small period of time and regret the whole thing (and probably still be out $$ as HECS is a bitch!-Ive just paid mine off after *10* years!)
Just some other food for thought...
(and no, I'm not saying that uni is a waste or that aLeeOh shouldnt go to uni.... just getting my defences up first as some ppl are selective readers!! :) )

Last edited:

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by aLeeOh!
also, hipsta jess, how can i find out more about that shadow program?do most uni's offer it? and even if hey do.... isnt it annoying to have someone following you round all day?ha! get lost inthe first five minutes and accused of stalkin!
well my uni sent out information about it to schools about...1/2 way through the year...
but if you contact the student services center or someone, they should be able to tell you if they offer it or not
i dont think the uni students mind...they volunteer...i think they may actually get paid..

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
i had not much idea when i put my prefs in for the last time

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by iambored
i had not much idea when i put my prefs in for the last time
Lol, so what are you doing?

aLeeOh!

about to explode
HSC
hey. what do you think about drama? as in performing arts, theatre.. all those beautiful things.... do you think i could somehow do them as well? or just squish them in all together?
bAH!!! im tired of using my brain.... it'll come to me when it comes to me!

santaslayer

HSC
u can do a straight out drama degree.although there is additional selection criterea

angy_elic

Very Old Member
HSC
I went to uni and did a course as part of yr11 and that was the best thing i ever did. I thought i liked a lot of science, but i found out there was only a tiny bit i did like. Unis have tonnes of discovery style days, i have been to soooooo many in the past and they are invaluable. Try one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)