For those wanting to study Law... (1 Viewer)

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Asquithian said:
where did you pull those stats from frigid?
the most recent debrief publication of Young Lawyers website.

rink

HSC
If your doing a combined law degree eg: psychology and law and lets say i get bored of psych after a semester and dont want to do it anymore but i still wanna do law, what happens then? Can i drop psych and do law combined with something else instead eg:social science? If i do that, i wont have to start the law stuff all over again will I? Sorry if my q's r stupid lol, just wanna make sure.

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
Generally (for UoW anyway), you can change the 'other' degree if the destination faculty will let you in. How much credit you can transfer/extra time you have to spend at uni depends on what you're transferring from/into. As you do not change anything to do with your law subjects, you do not have to 'start over' with them.

As far as I know, you cannot drop the 'other' degree altogether - ie, you still need to be a grad to do the straight LLB.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
rink said:
If your doing a combined law degree eg: psychology and law and lets say i get bored of psych after a semester and dont want to do it anymore but i still wanna do law, what happens then? Can i drop psych and do law combined with something else instead eg:social science? If i do that, i wont have to start the law stuff all over again will I? Sorry if my q's r stupid lol, just wanna make sure.
Don't do psych/law, do Arts/Law majoring in Psych for your Arts portion. That way you won't be restricted. Or you could do Science/Law majoring in Psych if you are more science inclinded.

supa

HSC
N/A
Lpab

Hi all,

Anyone studying Law with LPAB at the moment?

LPAB students also have their own LPAB student forum set up for discussion.
www.legalised.com

BTW, this is a cool forum.

santaslayer

HSC
MoonlightSonata said:
Don't do psych/law, do Arts/Law majoring in Psych for your Arts portion. That way you won't be restricted. Or you could do Science/Law majoring in Psych if you are more science inclinded.
But Arts (psych) isn't the same as a pure psych/law degree is it?

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
santaslayer said:
But Arts (psych) isn't the same as a pure psych/law degree is it?
No, it isn't. But majoring in psych gives you the same qualification recognised by the APS (at least at relevant universities, such as USYD).

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
hfis said:
As far as I know, you cannot drop the 'other' degree altogether - ie, you still need to be a grad to do the straight LLB.
Not any more, as of 2006 UOW offer a straight undergraduate law degree. 3 years of substantive stuff plus a year of practical training or honours.

santaslayer

HSC
Ms 12 said:
Not any more, as of 2006 UOW offer a straight undergraduate law degree. 3 years of substantive stuff plus a year of practical training or honours.
Which Ms 12 is planning on doing. :uhhuh:

Or else you can go to UTS and do the straight LLB.

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
Ms 12 said:
Oh joy, that's excellent news. The F I'm headed for in one of my core med science subjects isn't so bad now.

aaron1975@CDU

HSC
N/A
enjoy the ride, but please forget (early) that you ever had, or indeed ever intended to have a life. The path to success is through a gradual subrogation of your sense of humour, to the point that you begin tolaugh out loud at some really crappy jokes, made by judges, in the cases that you learn to enjoy reading. HOW SAD.

Not me, honest....................................................

lala2

Banned
HSC
Yeah, I heard about the straight LLB's. I'm surprised that the cutoffs for the current one at UTS is not as high as I thought it was, considering that you're not 'wasting' your time doing the other degree, and just go straight in to become a lawyer. Anyone know why?

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
lala2 said:
Yeah, I heard about the straight LLB's. I'm surprised that the cutoffs for the current one at UTS is not as high as I thought it was, considering that you're not 'wasting' your time doing the other degree, and just go straight in to become a lawyer. Anyone know why?
like everything else in this world, it's a matter of supply/demand, the perceived difficulty of straight law, and present value of future expected cashflows.

no, seriously, UTS opened up more LLB places this year, hence the discrepancy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)