For students to read before Voteing (1 Viewer)

Murray

Follower of Odin
HSC
NB - i am a strong Union supporter and future ALP voter so ... well it will explain my sources etc.

PM's New Tech Colleges Threaten Country Secondary Schools
05 October 2004

Thousands of year 11 and 12 students in country secondary schools and TAFEs will miss out on vocational education if the Coalition's proposed new tech colleges go ahead. The Coalition proposal will reduce funding to secondary schools for vocational education programs and restrict choice and diversity of year 11 and 12 subjects for these students.

Visiting Geelong TAFE in country Victoria today, ACTU President Sharan Burrow said:

"The Prime Minister's plan to set up new tech colleges poses a serious threat to the viability of local secondary schools as well as local TAFE colleges in country areas.

The Coalition is planning to set up 15 new private 'techs' in country areas as part of a network of 24 trades-oriented colleges that will duplicate the work currently done by public TAFE institutes.

The proposed new technical colleges will compete with local TAFE colleges and take 7,200 year 11 and 12 students away from surrounding schools. This will threaten the viability of many subjects and educational programs for the VCE students that remain in local schools.

The Prime Minister's plan is bad and wasteful policy that is driven by politics rather than a genuine desire to give Australians in country areas decent educational and work opportunities.

The PM's tech colleges will cost the taxpayer $289 million. This is almost ten times ($20,444 a year) as much per student as it costs in TAFE ($2,235) and yet, even then, the Coalition cannot guarantee that students in the new tech colleges will not be charged fees to attend.

Only 7,200 students will have access to the tech colleges but if the money was put into local TAFE colleges as many as 70,000 students could benefit. Instead of undermining local schools and colleges the Coalition should boost the vocational education courses that already exist.

Labor's plan for more than 50,000 extra TAFE places and $2.4 billion more for struggling government & independent schools will lead to significantly better education & work opportunities for young people in country areas. For example, twice as many students in country and regional Australia are likely to benefit from Labor's boost to TAFE than from the Coalition's plan."

(for more see http://www.actu.asn.au )

Aim Higher - Learning, Training and Better Jobs for More Australians - Stopping The 25% HECS Increase

A Labor Government will recall the Australian Parliament before Christmas to stop the Howard Government's 25 per cent increase in HECS.

This is the only way in which Australian students and families can avoid Mr Howard's increase in student debt in 2005.

Labor must be elected and the Parliament must sit, before it's too late.

Labor's plan to stop the 25 per cent increase in HECS is an important part of Federal Labor's plan to give many more Australians the opportunity to go to university and TAFE.

John Howard is forcing Australian families to make up for $5 billion in funding cuts through 25 per cent HECS hikes and more and more full fee degrees, costing as much as $210,000.

The Howard Government is pricing too many young people out of a university education and turning away tens of thousands of talented Australians from university and TAFE each year by not funding enough places.

A Federal Labor Government will fund our universities properly, keep a university degree affordable and increase the number of university and TAFE places for Australian students.

A Federal Labor Government will:

Stop John Howard's 25 per cent HECS hikes, abolish full fee degrees costing as much as $210,000 and keep university affordable for ordinary Australians.
Relieve the financial burden on students by extending rent assistance to Austudy recipients from 2006 and progressively lowering the age of independence for students on Youth Allowance to 23 years.
Give more Australians the opportunity to get a university or TAFE qualification by creating 23,000 extra commencing university places and 20,000 extra commencing TAFE places to be distributed throughout Australia each year by 2009.
Properly index university grants to give universities a secure and compounding revenue base and provide $912 million additional funding by 2009.
Establish a competitive $809 million fund over five years to encourage universities' reform and transition to twenty-first century learning institutions.
Establish a $215 million Community Engagement Fund over five years to support regional, rural and outer-suburban universities' leadership role in local communities.
A Federal Labor Government will also address national skill shortages, increase equity in university participation and secure the foundations for high standards and improved quality.

The policy announced today includes updated costings spanning the forward estimates period following the 2004-05 budget. The net budget impact of Aim Higher is $1.2 billion over the forward estimates.

Education is the first rung on Labor's ladder of opportunity.

Aim Higher: Learning, Training and Better Jobs for More Australians will deliver more university and TAFE opportunities for Australians.

(for more see http://www.alp.org.au )

THIS IS POLICY NOT PROPAGANDA!

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Well those definately aren't bias...
in the first article

"The Prime Minister's plan is bad and wasteful policy that is driven by politics rather than a genuine desire to give Australians in country areas decent educational and work opportunities."

lmao how's about if your going to get articles on policy to examine, get the liberal one from the liberal party's website, the labor one from the alp's website?

Rorix

HSC
I wasn't going to read this thread because I don't think I'll ever be "voteing" in my life, but my curiousity got the better of me.

spell check

HSC
Rorix said:
I wasn't going to read this thread because I don't think I'll ever be "voteing" in my life, but my curiousity got the better of me.
did you mean "curiosity"?

you realise that you just absolutely destroyed yourself

if i knew how i'd post one of those "owned" pictures

Nick

foregone conclusion
HSC
N/A
Not-That-Bright said:
Spell check, you didn't you grammar, you had no capital letters at the start of your sentences... You suck.
oh no, you got me

obviously i don't intend to do grammar, or to use capital letters or full stops

but since rorix criticised the guy who made the thread for incorrectly spelling "voteing" i thought it appropriate to point out that he also made a spelling mistake

thorrnydevil

Ancient Member
HSC
N/A
Murray said:
NB - i am a strong Union supporter and future ALP voter so ... well it will explain my sources etc.

PM's New Tech Colleges Threaten Country Secondary Schools
05 October 2004

Thousands of year 11 and 12 students in country secondary schools and TAFEs will miss out on vocational education if the Coalition's proposed new tech colleges go ahead. The Coalition proposal will reduce funding to secondary schools for vocational education programs and restrict choice and diversity of year 11 and 12 subjects for these students.

Visiting Geelong TAFE in country Victoria today, ACTU President Sharan Burrow said:

"The Prime Minister's plan to set up new tech colleges poses a serious threat to the viability of local secondary schools as well as local TAFE colleges in country areas.

The Coalition is planning to set up 15 new private 'techs' in country areas as part of a network of 24 trades-oriented colleges that will duplicate the work currently done by public TAFE institutes.

The proposed new technical colleges will compete with local TAFE colleges and take 7,200 year 11 and 12 students away from surrounding schools. This will threaten the viability of many subjects and educational programs for the VCE students that remain in local schools.

The Prime Minister's plan is bad and wasteful policy that is driven by politics rather than a genuine desire to give Australians in country areas decent educational and work opportunities.

The PM's tech colleges will cost the taxpayer $289 million. This is almost ten times ($20,444 a year) as much per student as it costs in TAFE ($2,235) and yet, even then, the Coalition cannot guarantee that students in the new tech colleges will not be charged fees to attend.

Only 7,200 students will have access to the tech colleges but if the money was put into local TAFE colleges as many as 70,000 students could benefit. Instead of undermining local schools and colleges the Coalition should boost the vocational education courses that already exist.

Labor's plan for more than 50,000 extra TAFE places and $2.4 billion more for struggling government & independent schools will lead to significantly better education & work opportunities for young people in country areas. For example, twice as many students in country and regional Australia are likely to benefit from Labor's boost to TAFE than from the Coalition's plan."

(for more see http://www.actu.asn.au )

Aim Higher - Learning, Training and Better Jobs for More Australians - Stopping The 25% HECS Increase

A Labor Government will recall the Australian Parliament before Christmas to stop the Howard Government's 25 per cent increase in HECS.

This is the only way in which Australian students and families can avoid Mr Howard's increase in student debt in 2005.

Labor must be elected and the Parliament must sit, before it's too late.

Labor's plan to stop the 25 per cent increase in HECS is an important part of Federal Labor's plan to give many more Australians the opportunity to go to university and TAFE.

John Howard is forcing Australian families to make up for $5 billion in funding cuts through 25 per cent HECS hikes and more and more full fee degrees, costing as much as $210,000.

The Howard Government is pricing too many young people out of a university education and turning away tens of thousands of talented Australians from university and TAFE each year by not funding enough places.

A Federal Labor Government will fund our universities properly, keep a university degree affordable and increase the number of university and TAFE places for Australian students.

A Federal Labor Government will:

Stop John Howard's 25 per cent HECS hikes, abolish full fee degrees costing as much as $210,000 and keep university affordable for ordinary Australians.
Relieve the financial burden on students by extending rent assistance to Austudy recipients from 2006 and progressively lowering the age of independence for students on Youth Allowance to 23 years.
Give more Australians the opportunity to get a university or TAFE qualification by creating 23,000 extra commencing university places and 20,000 extra commencing TAFE places to be distributed throughout Australia each year by 2009.
Properly index university grants to give universities a secure and compounding revenue base and provide $912 million additional funding by 2009.
Establish a competitive $809 million fund over five years to encourage universities' reform and transition to twenty-first century learning institutions.
Establish a $215 million Community Engagement Fund over five years to support regional, rural and outer-suburban universities' leadership role in local communities.
A Federal Labor Government will also address national skill shortages, increase equity in university participation and secure the foundations for high standards and improved quality.

The policy announced today includes updated costings spanning the forward estimates period following the 2004-05 budget. The net budget impact of Aim Higher is $1.2 billion over the forward estimates.

Education is the first rung on Labor's ladder of opportunity.

Aim Higher: Learning, Training and Better Jobs for More Australians will deliver more university and TAFE opportunities for Australians.

(for more see http://www.alp.org.au )

THIS IS POLICY NOT PROPAGANDA!
Yeah, that is in no way bias or propaganda...idiot.

Nick

foregone conclusion
HSC
N/A
Nick said:
oh no, you got me

obviously i don't intend to do grammar, or to use capital letters or full stops

but since rorix criticised the guy who made the thread for incorrectly spelling "voteing" i thought it appropriate to point out that he also made a spelling mistake
hahaha damn identity crisis

steph@nie

narcissistic whore.
HSC
In the Herald yesterday they had some table comparing the two parties policies regarding education.

Rorix

HSC
Rorix said:
No, I didn't.

See, I was making a joke about his spelling mistake, but to demonstrate that my post was indeed a joke, I incorporated my own spelling mistake

Your gimmick account is really lame, by the way.

Nick

foregone conclusion
HSC
N/A
Rorix said:
See, I was making a joke about his spelling mistake, but to demonstrate that my post was indeed a joke, I incorporated my own spelling mistake

Your gimmick account is really lame, by the way.
shit, you think so?

*cries*

Rorix

HSC
you obviously think it's bringing much hillarity to the board

Nick

foregone conclusion
HSC
N/A
Rorix said:
you obviously think it's bringing much hillarity to the board
it's easing the squeeze on bad spelling

Rorix

HSC
it amazes me how you can quote a post and not read it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)