• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

For 'Discuss' questions (1 Viewer)

fatassmcfat

HSC
Is it compulsory to have points for AND against? Since the BOS defines it as 'Identify issues and provide points for AND/OR against'
The way they marked it in my school is you need 2 for, 2 against
However for some questions its obviously stupid e.g. 'Discuss the effects of CFC's in the atmosphere'- how do you provide positives for that?

HSC
Is it compulsory to have points for AND against? Since the BOS defines it as 'Identify issues and provide points for AND/OR against'
The way they marked it in my school is you need 2 for, 2 against
However for some questions its obviously stupid e.g. 'Discuss the effects of CFC's in the atmosphere'- how do you provide positives for that?
From what my teacher has told me, if you get questions like such (bold part) worth say 6 or 7 marks, before you begin you have to mention what CFC's are and what they did, because if you didn't the marker would be like wtf is this guy/girl on about (you need to be detailed, as if markers are dumb).
So the "positives" that you would discuss about CFC's would be the properties that allowed it to be a better replacement than ammonia as refrigerants, its use as propellants in aerosol cans, fire extinguishers etc. Then the negatives would be what the CFC's are doing in the stratosphere.

Italics - should be brief, don't write like a page. Maybe like 2 or 3 lines

Last edited:

kalstar

swag
HSC
Uni Grad
It's not compulsory, having points for and against just makes it easier as there is more things to write about.

fatassmcfat

HSC
Ok thanks, il probably make some BS 'fors' just in case
Also do you guys know if its ok to use short hand script for calculations? e.g. instead of writing concentration just letter C, or instead of moles just the curly letter n
Sorry im getting paranoid

Stateofthenation

HSC
Hi fatassmcfat,
using a C for concentration or M for molarity or n for mole is perfectly acceptable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)