For all 2005 Hist ext students (1 Viewer)

tWiStEdD

deity of ultimate reason
HSC
there are plenty of historical questions that remain vague.

as a 2004 ext history student, the best advice i can give you 2005 history ext students is this.

focus on the period of history you do in 2U! failing that, focus on a period of history you LOVE and have always loved.
the best way to find a question is to open up a general history book that documents time periods and discusses little bits and pieces that has to do with the country and the time period in question.
i talked to a year 11 girl who i know and i showed her this book i have at home, the Usboune encyclopedia of world history and we found her a question in no time.
the easiest way to find a question ever.

other great sources:
- 'official' websites such as www.firstworldwar.com
- the HISTORY channel. dont have pay? get it.

furthermore, if you guys want someone to help you out with essays, drop me a line at twistedd_@hotmail. com with your essay attached. if i have time, i'll go over it with a fine tooth comb for you.

if you DONT have a question and you're still having trouble and you use msn then add me and i'll talk it through with ya.

all the best, to all 2005 history extension candidates!

Last edited:

snowblack

bleh
HSC
Hey twisted
today was my first ext his lesson.....while i love history, the prospect of learning about historians did not excite me so i was thinkin of dropping it as i am doin 13 units.....does it get any better? n do u hav like a ton of homework to do?...cud u plz tell me a bit more bout the course?
fanx dude :p

<<lauren>>

snowblack; i know im answering someone else question but ill give you my opinion too. i do thirteen units, and found that seven subjects is fine as long as you keep on top of them... if you enjoy them (or most of them). self-motivation and interest is essential. also, dont give up just because a few weeks is too hard...a friend of mine did this and really regrets dropping the course now.

also, learning about the historians seems daunting when you first start, and to tell you the truth i didn't understand the entire first term of ext. history, but after a while everything all falls into place and it makes your ancient/modern history easier and more interesting.

there is a lot of homework as theres no way you can get everything done in a two or three hour class, but at the end of the course, its very worthwhile - you'll look at everything in a different light, especially what people have to say about your case study and major project. ive become quite passionate about the historicity of jesus and for someone with no religious background and little previous knowledge of jesus, thats saying something!

tWiStEdD

deity of ultimate reason
HSC
Snowblack,
Extension history is not like your normal extension subjects. It does NOT, for example, look at what happened in the moments surrounding President Kennedy's death, but what was written about it and why.

Historians make history. Who the historians are become so much more relevent the more you read history and the more you read into specific events, dynasties and time periods. The point of learning about historians is that you can have a sharper understanding of the philosophy of history.
I dont mean to allude to the fact that you may have to learn where and when Bob the historian was born, but you do need to know about what he thinks about history.

Have you ever asked yourself "how do they know that this happened?" well, extension history will add to these questions and give you a range of responses in the form of expositions (either written for the purpose of extending an arguement or for introducing a book) penned by the mightiest of historians themselves Ranke, Vincent, Evans, Jenkins, Hobsbawm and so on. While i know that it is dry at first, as you read more it becomes soooo much more interesting.

On top of that you WILL look at some reality and question wether or not what some historians believe happened actually happened at all. Did JFK really deserve a pink heart? and so on.

Stick with it, its worth it for the marks and for the experience and knowledge gained through your studies.

All the best.

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
snowblack said:
Hey twisted
today was my first ext his lesson.....while i love history, the prospect of learning about historians did not excite me so i was thinkin of dropping it as i am doin 13 units.....does it get any better? n do u hav like a ton of homework to do?...cud u plz tell me a bit more bout the course?
fanx dude :p
Snowblack, while i enjoyed extension history very very much, its not everybody's cup of tea. I found the discussion we did on construction and purposes of history fascinating, and i absolutley love the subject.

Having said that, there was A LOT of reading to do -- about 30 pages before each lesson, which is hard to do if you are really busy like i was.

I would say consider a few things:

1. do you have a good class? If you do, it will make things much much better.
2. What other subjects are you doing? I did Extension 2 English, Extension Music AND Extension History -- and if i could go back and re-do anything, I wouldn't change it for the world. But i'm a major works kinda girl, i like that sorta stuff.

3. finally, while I'm not in university (yet, but I hope so) I have a heap of friends who are (including my boyfriend) who have been astounded at the fact that I can hold my own in an academic debate, back my facts up -- and win. Why? Cos everything i know about the big philosopher guys (very technical, I know!) like Derrida, Foucault, Marx etc. I learnt in Extension History.

It is truly a subject that allows you to open your mind, question your surroundings and learn about the great teachers that came before us.

If you like a challenge, don't give it up, because it will reward you richly. :)

Best of luck.

tWiStEdD

deity of ultimate reason
HSC
ujuphleg is right about the reading, to an extent.
the reading is NOT that extreme. you can get by reading in your spare time if u enjoy it as i do and as i hope you do. lessons can be spent debating the merits of postmodernism or marxism (my teacher was/is in love with marx so it often got there.... -sigh- poor deluded man :p) which, i believe, was more productive than reading.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)