Folau switches to the AFL (1 Viewer)

ar7

HSC
fact is you tried substantiating your claim, that the AFL develops better talent, by mentioning the draft system. IF they develop better talent, why can't they tap from the existing current pool in NSW, without basing selections totally on concessions/draft picks?

as aforementioned by kaz1... there has been NO NRL team that has "consistently failed" by languishing incessantly at the bottom of the table..
when was cronulla's last premiership? rabbitohs? parramattas? even the "successful" dragons?

the AFL develops better talent by far. i never said NSW specifically develops better talent, however, they are beginning to develop some real talent. look at the afl's recent player in dustin martin, the guy played a few years in Sydney and is now touted as a potential superstar. the AFL as an organisation is better structured in its youth programs as seen by the successful implementation of the draft to even out the competition. if the afl isnt proof enough, check out the nfl. the vfl's 18s competition draws more attention than the toyota cup. c'mon mate, the way the afl is run is superior to the nrl and it is clearly seen in its talent programs.

HSC
guys you're all wrong

afl requires a lot more skill to play than league. skill and endurance.

i play both and i play first grade rugby league, its easy, much more physical though

2nd grade afl, afl is a more fast moving game that rewards athleticism and fine skills, afl hand passing is fucking hard okay

that said i still like league more cos u get to smash cunts/is easier to smash cunts

folau will not have all that much trouble adapting to afl, kicking isnt hard to pick up, i cant kick for shit in league but i can hit a target 45m away in afl pretty easily

league rewards explosive power and strength
afl rewards athleticism, jumping and running

HSC
They switch to each other because they're very very similar, and require roughly the same skills.

ALF on the other hand requires no skills... they even recruit basketballers ffs

I hope the ppl of western sydney ignore this new team... anyone who likes League, Union, Football or really any other sport should hate the ALF for trying to wreck rival codes.
There have been alot of professional footballers who have had to choose between a career in football and cricket, are you saying that cricket requires no skill as well? Great athletes can dominate any sport they want, the AFL recruits from other sports because it wants the best athletes possible, it's stupid to suggest that AFL requires no skill to play. I've played rugby union and AFL for most of my life and there is no doubt AFL requires more skill.

ar7

HSC
surprisingly, the leather afl balls are easier to kick than the synthetically designed balls of the rugby codes. weird

brunx

HSC
afl draft system(kids being taken out of their home environment ie friends and family and moving to a city/team that they have no childhood aspirations to play for)
is not as good as
nrl system (teams developing their own junior teams, having local kids play for the team...initially until they get poached... having a greater sense of community spirit) some nrl teams do not have strong junior development programs...but the salary cap does a pretty good job of keeping things even, usually. (lets not mention the storm)

HSC
no they arent, they are heavier though and easier to kick accurately
league balls are *easier* to kick but they dont have the same stability

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
guys you're all wrong

afl requires a lot more skill to play than league. skill and endurance.

i play both and i play first grade rugby league, its easy, much more physical though

2nd grade afl, afl is a more fast moving game that rewards athleticism and fine skills, afl hand passing is fucking hard okay

that said i still like league more cos u get to smash cunts/is easier to smash cunts

folau will not have all that much trouble adapting to afl, kicking isnt hard to pick up, i cant kick for shit in league but i can hit a target 45m away in afl pretty easily

league rewards explosive power and strength
afl rewards athleticism, jumping and running
So you play against the likes of Darren Lockyer, Jonathon Thurston, Jarryd Hayne etc. ?

joeysmall

the clown has no penis
HSC
you're an idiot. get your fkn facts right..

There is a major flaw in your argument here. His current team, Brisbane, average roughly 33,000 across the year. His new team, Western Sydney will be lucky to average half of that at home in its first year.. unless a quadrillion freebies are given out. Unless you're suggesting that he'd like to play in front of no one instead of Suncorp...
Firstly, yeah probably should have looked up if the NRL grandfinal had actually sold out instead of listening to friends. Secondly, I didn't ever say it's good move for Folau to go to GWS. Finally, in 2009 total attendences to NRL games = under 3 million. Total for AFL = over 6 million. To be playing in a code with double the attendences has to be better than playing in a code with half. There's also almost DOUBLE the amount of stories in the media regarding AFL. And I assume that it'd probably double his pay. Why don't you go look it up?

Stats: Australia's Battle of the Codes - Statistics

ar7

HSC
afl draft system(kids being taken out of their home environment ie friends and family and moving to a city/team that they have no childhood aspirations to play for)
is not as good as
nrl system (teams developing their own junior teams, having local kids play for the team...initially until they get poached... having a greater sense of community spirit) some nrl teams do not have strong junior development programs...but the salary cap does a pretty good job of keeping things even, usually. (lets not mention the storm)
how is an elite coaching program developed by former afl players in conjucntion with sport scientist from the australian institute of sport not good? you do raise a valid point about not having aspirations for the team they end up with, however, the chance to play at the highest level surely overrides any lack of connection with their new team.

brunx

HSC
how is an elite coaching program developed by former afl players in conjucntion with sport scientist from the australian institute of sport not good? you do raise a valid point about not having aspirations for the team they end up with, however, the chance to play at the highest level surely overrides any lack of connection with their new team.
yeah the coaching system is good im sure. just not so sure about the draft system..

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
when was cronulla's last premiership? rabbitohs? parramattas? even the "successful" dragons?
Premierships aren't the only measure of success you know?
Cronulla were equal minor premiers 3 years ago, Parra made the GF last year, Dragons are easily the competition front-runners at the moment.. and for the past two years.

beginning to develop some real talent. look at the afl's recent player in dustin martin, the guy played a few years in Sydney and is now touted as a potential superstar.
key word "touted". There have been many players that have been 'touted' as the next $BW etc etc in league, being 'touted' to perform in the future means nothing. bad example

the AFL as an organisation is better structured in its youth programs as seen by the successful implementation of the draft to even out the competition. if the afl isnt proof enough, check out the nfl. the vfl's 18s competition draws more attention than the toyota cup. c'mon mate, the way the afl is run is superior to the nrl and it is clearly seen in its talent programs.
i never said the nrl is run more efficiently and effectively than the afl.. i'm mainly attacking the AFL's motives in luring cross-code converts for the sake of pure publicity; they can't do it 'legitly' so to speak

twistedrebel

HSC
Firstly, yeah probably should have looked up if the NRL grandfinal had actually sold out instead of listening to friends. Secondly, I didn't ever say it's good move for Folau to go to GWS. Finally, in 2009 total attendences to NRL games = under 3 million. Total for AFL = over 6 million. To be playing in a code with double the attendences has to be better than playing in a code with half. There's also almost DOUBLE the amount of stories in the media regarding AFL. And I assume that it'd probably double his pay. Why don't you go look it up?

Stats: Australia's Battle of the Codes - Statistics
origin= most watched sporting event on Australian calendar.
@ar7, Some people are natural athletes become good at two sports i.e nrl/afl/soccer and cricket as they are played in different seasons. E.g Jarred hayne was school boy 100m champion without any training at all. Idris is highly ranked in the world at shotput and discs etc.

AFL's GWS is going to be a massive failure. when the new TV rights deal comes in for the NRL, the salary cap will almost double.

ar7

HSC
yeah the coaching system is good im sure. just not so sure about the draft system..
hmmmm

the system probably works more in favour of clubs rather than individuals. i see your point though. but i guess its for the 'greater good' of the competition. also, i dont know any player who wouldnt give his best, regardless of the guernsey he was wearing.

ar7

HSC
origin= most watched sporting event on Australian calendar.
@ar7, Some people are natural athletes become good at two sports i.e nrl/afl/soccer and cricket as they are played in different seasons. E.g Jarred hayne was school boy 100m champion without any training at all. Idris is highly ranked in the world at shotput and discs etc.

AFL's GWS is going to be a massive failure. when the new TV rights deal comes in for the NRL, the salary cap will almost double.
thanks but i dont understand what this has to do with talent programs. you make a decent point and i agree, however, the ability of the afl to nurture this talent and develop them into key players is what sets it aside from nrl. it will be interesting to see how folau makes the transition, but i personally think he will succeed. i have seen many league players join sydney aussie rules teams in the last few years and they have adapted well. folau being an elite athlete should find this switch easier than most. plus the decent pay packet is a good incentive.

johony

HSC
So you play against the likes of Darren Lockyer, Jonathon Thurston, Jarryd Hayne etc. ?
um

first grade meaning the highest level of a particular club, doesn't mean just NRL or whatever

ar7

HSC
Premierships aren't the only measure of success you know?
Cronulla were equal minor premiers 3 years ago, Parra made the GF last year, Dragons are easily the competition front-runners at the moment.. and for the past two years.

key word "touted". There have been many players that have been 'touted' as the next $BW etc etc in league, being 'touted' to perform in the future means nothing. bad example

i never said the nrl is run more efficiently and effectively than the afl.. i'm mainly attacking the AFL's motives in luring cross-code converts for the sake of pure publicity; they can't do it 'legitly' so to speak
what is the legitimate way to convert an nrl athlete to play afl? should folau have been born with a sherrin under his arm? the afl do indeed want the publicity, however, folau has the potential to develop into a worthy afl player and this is a risk the afl should take.

twistedrebel

HSC
thanks but i dont understand what this has to do with talent programs. you make a decent point and i agree, however, the ability of the afl to nurture this talent and develop them into key players is what sets it aside from nrl. it will be interesting to see how folau makes the transition, but i personally think he will succeed. i have seen many league players join sydney aussie rules teams in the last few years and they have adapted well. folau being an elite athlete should find this switch easier than most. plus the decent pay packet is a good incentive.
NRL has produced much ore stars then AFL ever will. currently NRL has aleast 10 guys worth a million+ overseas.

ar7

HSC
NRL has produced much ore stars then AFL ever will. currently NRL has aleast 10 guys worth a million+ overseas.
you are so off the mark there. if you decide to look at the bigger picture of australian sport you will realise that afl is in fact more popular and subsequently has more 'stars'. the fact ex-nrl players are earning overseas is simply because it is also played in england and new zealand, as well as having a great similarity to union.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)