Folau switches to the AFL (1 Viewer)

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
gluck to folau, but with the kicking, im not sure that nrl players and afl plays kick in the same style. afl players use 2 hands to hold it, release it and boot it with a huge follow through with their legs, compared to nrl where just bomb it or grubber etc..
folau can't even kick it/basically never has

and the few times that Khunt has tried to kick/punt, they've been shockers. Does have a decent grubber through.. which is useless in AFL.

ar7

HSC
lol Khunt and Israel, AFL is a shit code that can't develop talent.
aussie rules is the second biggest sport in australia in relation to participation levels. the afl has a draft program with over 5000 18 year olds competing for a chance at the main draft camp held at the ais EACH AND EVERY YEAR. nrl has neither a draft nor a spot at the ais. who has less ability to develop talent again?

Last edited:

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
aussie rules is the second biggest sport in australia in relation to participation levels. the afl has a draft program with over 5000 18 year olds competing for a chance at the main draft camp held at the ais. nrl has neither a draft nor a spot at the ais. who has less ability to develop talent again?
^umm do you realise the meaning of what you've just posted?

the NRL doesn't need a draft program because it doesn't need to spread youth talent in such a manner. The AFL draft system is in place so that teams like Sydney and Brisbane can reap the benefits of other state's development. If it wasn't for the special concessions that 'newer' teams receive, as evidenced in what GWS and GC will be able to attain, then they would've been fked.

HSC
He won't be the last nrl player to switch codes to AFL, because GC and GWS have signed hunt and folou as ''rookies'' in the first years of their contracts, they can be paid the majority of their contract in their first year without it counting towards the salary cap, as the salary of rookies isn't included in the salary cap. The AFL is that rich that they don't even care if it works or not, but considering it doesn't effect the salalry cap, you may as well give it a go.

joeysmall

the clown has no penis
HSC
i dont follow NRL or rugby whatever but WTF. why would you want to move from nrl to afl?
A regular season game of AFL could attract 90,000+ people to go and watch it (Collingwood vs. Geelong 2 weeks ago). Last year's NRL grandfinal didn't even sell out. If you were able to, why wouldn't you swich to AFL?

emiliieee

Batman.
HSC
A regular season game of AFL could attract 90,000+ people to go and watch it (Collingwood vs. Geelong 2 weeks ago). Last year's NRL grandfinal didn't even sell out. If you were able to, why wouldn't you swich to AFL?
i guess. but isnt AFL like a crappier version of NRL?

Chemical Ali

지금은 소녀시대
HSC
N/A
Union and to a lesser extent League.
They switch to each other because they're very very similar, and require roughly the same skills.

ALF on the other hand requires no skills... they even recruit basketballers ffs

I hope the ppl of western sydney ignore this new team... anyone who likes League, Union, Football or really any other sport should hate the ALF for trying to wreck rival codes.

johony

HSC
i guess. but isnt AFL like a crappier version of NRL?
in terms of administration and reach in australia, its hardly crappier

AFL borrows from lots of different sports, so technically it's easy to adapt to if converting from other sports. add to that the complexity of the techniques in the AFL isn't particularly high or varied.

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
Last year's NRL grandfinal didn't even sell out. If you were able to, why wouldn't you swich to AFL?
you're an idiot. get your fkn facts right..

Grand final a sell-out - NRL Premiership - Fox Sports

NRL grand final between Melbourne Storm and Parramatta a sell-out

September 29, 2009 Sunday's NRL grand final between Melbourne Storm and Parramatta is officially a sell-out after a final ticket release on Tuesday morning.
Almost all of the final 6,000 tickets released by the NRL sold within 15 minutes of becoming available on Tuesday, with the final ticket being purchased by 2.30pm in the afternoon.

The sold-out final follows on from last Friday's 74,549 attendance at the preliminary final between the Eels and Bulldogs, a record crowd for a non-grand final finals match in Sydney.
now that we've settled that... if i was told that i could get attain the highest pay in an occupation, in an industry that i had no experience whatsoeva in.. why wouldn't i take it? It has nothing to do with anything else.. and "proving" himself in a totally foreign code.

A regular season game of AFL could attract 90,000+ people to go and watch it (Collingwood vs. Geelong 2 weeks ago).
There is a major flaw in your argument here. His current team, Brisbane, average roughly 33,000 across the year. His new team, Western Sydney will be lucky to average half of that at home in its first year.. unless a quadrillion freebies are given out. Unless you're suggesting that he'd like to play in front of no one instead of Suncorp...

If you were able to, why wouldn't you swich to AFL?
wow....

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
I reckon this GWS thing is going to be a massive failure, I live in Blacktown (the place where they want to be based) and it's all rugby league here.

HSC
I reckon this GWS thing is going to be a massive failure, I live in Blacktown (the place where they want to be based) and it's all rugby league here.
I agree. I live in an AFL state (not Vic), and I could not imagine that I'd be all that interested in NRL just because there was a new team.

vanush

kdslkf
HSC
lawl last season so nostalgic. Jarryd Hayne made me get into the game for the first time ever. Brilliant athlete.

ar7

HSC
^umm do you realise the meaning of what you've just posted?

the NRL doesn't need a draft program because it doesn't need to spread youth talent in such a manner. The AFL draft system is in place so that teams like Sydney and Brisbane can reap the benefits of other state's development. If it wasn't for the special concessions that 'newer' teams receive, as evidenced in what GWS and GC will be able to attain, then they would've been fked.
obviously mate the talent needs to be spread. look at the nrl and you will notice that some teams are perpetually cellar dwellers, however, in the afl you only have the one team who has consistently failed this decade. why? the draft evens the competition and makes for a greater spectacle and subsequently more spectators. look at the numbers. even look at the nfl. they have a draft. is it a negative? no.

quite frankly, GWS and GC deserve these concession as they are venturing into non-AFL territory. what is the point of throwing them into the deep end? concessions are very much justified here.

CheesePlease

Cheese Dreams!
HSC
AFL rewards those with strong general sporting ability. e.g. the ability to run, jump, catch, kick, and to a lesser extent than league, tackle. It's not that you don't have to have skill it's that it's a similar skill set that every kid kicking a football around with their mates is working on, regardless of their code.

That being said, the best players are usually those that grow up with the game and I reckon the new league boys will struggle to read the game and have an impact.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
obviously mate the talent needs to be spread. look at the nrl and you will notice that some teams are perpetually cellar dwellers, however, in the afl you only have the one team who has consistently failed this decade. why? the draft evens the competition and makes for a greater spectacle and subsequently more spectators. look at the numbers. even look at the nfl. they have a draft. is it a negative? no.

quite frankly, GWS and GC deserve these concession as they are venturing into non-AFL territory. what is the point of throwing them into the deep end? concessions are very much justified here.
Not really, the teams in the NRL are pretty even. Two years ago Cronulla were premiership contenders, and the teams in the bottom of the ladder of the ladder at the ladder have done well at some point in the last few years.

HSC
Yes, concessions are justified, but not to the extent that they are getting.

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad

fact is you tried substantiating your claim, that the AFL develops better talent, by mentioning the draft system. IF they develop better talent, why can't they tap from the existing current pool in NSW, without basing selections totally on concessions/draft picks?

however, in the afl you only have the one team who has consistently failed this decade
as aforementioned by kaz1... there has been NO NRL team that has "consistently failed" by languishing incessantly at the bottom of the table..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)