Flight Attendant (1 Viewer)

Hippy La-Laa

Stupid Pixie.
HSC
What does everyone think about a career as a Flight Attendant? Domestic and/or International.

I'm just curious... Anyone know any people in the industry? How do they like the job?

llamasohee

HSC
are you thinking of becoming a flight attendent? r there any preqs?

dave_119

Banned
HSC
my sis has just applied to qantas and aus airlines... she should get an interview she's had experience in the hospitality industry for a year and a half....

my cousin is applying as well to virgin, all u need is a decent rack...

personally guys who r flight attnedants r gay, they all are.. its ridiculous, cause it really is a great way to see the world..

id go international, who wants to fly around aus, seriously... u can go domestic when u have a family or sumthn...

most flight attnedants dont have a brain in their head, well most of the young blondes, but the older chics r much better....

a language can help.. especially if u are goin internation to places like germany or italy.... their are a lot of thai f.a's that go sydney bangkok then london etc....
but if u fly to South Africa, U.S.A it should be good....

give us a yell if u wont any more info

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
i want info. do you get to choose if you want to be international or dormestic? what happens between flights, do they put you up in a country overseas for the night?

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
i dont think it's as glamarous a job as every1 thinks. remember u have to put up with customers who u CANT get away from and will stuck with for up to 20 hours, people can be irritable on planes. just beware

yenta

veyron <3
HSC
If you look like a model and know a second language, you're guaranteed a job...oh and u have to be pretty tall as well something like 5'10"? (not too sure though) so they are pretty superficial i would imagine. I was considering becoming one but decided it would be too competitive and I don't think the pay is fantastic (as in good but not great). And yes dealing with shitty customers would suck

elisabeth

HSC
Have you flown before? Sounds like an obvious question, but my friend's sister wanted to be one... never been on a plane but had romantic ideas. Turns out she's not good with turbulence and her ears pop madly, so no longer her career of choice.

dave_119

Banned
HSC
iambored... u do get to choose between domestic and international, if u fly with qantas you get put up in 5 star accomodation and given an allowance for the time u r in that country, it is way more than enough....

i disagree with you townie... 20 hours, the longest flight is only 14 hours (singapore to london) or (L.A to Sydney)... however sydney-singapore-london is 23 hours... but it is very uncommon for flyers to stay in a city and catch the sa,e flight u will out, they usually catch the next alvaiable flight at that stop over... most people are asleep during the flight and there are very rare occurences that people r rude, but it does happen...

yenta, you have to be kidding yourself, pays 45,000... that is great, not including allowances at places you stay, and when u think about it on a 13 hr flight, they are only working for 6, and get paid for the other 7.... they earn great money...

elisabeth, ive basically been to over 20 countries, which is about over 100 flights....

waterfowl

HSC
My old english teacher was a flight attendant for a few years before she became a teacher; I remember her telling us some very un-romantic stories.
From what I've heard from her it isn't an overly glamorous job, however there are some truths to the stereotypes.

yenta

veyron <3
HSC
dave_119 said:
yenta, you have to be kidding yourself, pays 45,000... that is great, not including allowances at places you stay, and when u think about it on a 13 hr flight, they are only working for 6, and get paid for the other 7.... they earn great money...
Is that the base salary? And are there opportunities to get promoted and earn more money? If not, I personally wouldn't consider 45 000 to be enough for a life long career (or substantially long anyway)

sugaryblue

Living on deficit
HSC
Flight attendent's requirements vary accordingly to the airline. For safety reasons, there's like a height requirements between 158 to 183cm depending on the airline. Some airlines measure with arm reach instead. Not all flight attendants are air heads. Nowadays, a lot of airlines require them to at least have a degree.

It's a tougher job than most people would think it is. you have to be responsible for a lot of things that go onboard the airline, and the time difference will have an impact on your body and biological clock. your presentation must be immaculate even after a 13 hours flight!

usually, you might fly one leg, then you stop over at a country for a couple of days, with accomodation provided, then you'll continue on with the journey to another destination or you'll service on the route back to your home country. it is nice to the extent that you get to see the world :) but sometimes passegners can be difficult and rude. with some airlines, the salary is quite low but it varies a lot among airlines. Some of them do have better benefits than others.

Last edited:

dave_119

Banned
HSC
yenta said:
Is that the base salary? And are there opportunities to get promoted and earn more money? If not, I personally wouldn't consider 45 000 to be enough for a life long career (or substantially long anyway)
yeah u can become a CSM ( Cabin Crew Manager, which earns around 65000)

elisabeth

HSC
dave_119 said:
elisabeth, ive basically been to over 20 countries, which is about over 100 flights....
I was actually asking Hippy, who seems to be expressing interest in becoming a flight attendant.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)