Flexibile First Year Engineering (1 Viewer)

reno2004

Retired Member - 1/12/04
HSC
N/A
I was going through the Engineering faculty website for Sydney Uni and saw something about being able to do a felxible first year of engineering.
Since this program seemed to only start this year, I was wondering if anybody is currently doing it and if it is worth doing. I am not 100% sure wat sort of engineering I want to do, and would appreciate any comments from others about this course.

Winston

HSC
I know a dude in my maths lecture doing it, it sounds promising, it gives you a taste of engineering in general, and then second year you can divert to something more specific.

Adam

HSC
Do Civil Engineering, it has exactly the same subjects in the first semester, and more or less then same in the second. And you can call yourself an Engineer, not some flexible person who can't make their mind up :p j/k

Kittycat

HSC
My mum was a civil engineer & said that it was really hard work....
hmmm.....
Engineering seems really interesting.

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
yeah, i'm in the program and i have to say- i like the flexibility it provides...but then again unsw and other uni's have had this sorta thing for ages (and its abt. time for usyd to follow suite!!).

so yeah, u should choose it if u seriously do not know what stream that u wanna do! :)

Snapwizard

Snapy
HSC
Originally posted by Kittycat
My mum was a civil engineer & said that it was really hard work....
hmmm.....
Engineering seems really interesting.
Civil has so much work the ur be crying when you actually do the subject!!

Kittycat

HSC
Originally posted by Snapwizard
lol I already know this.
It is also hard work. Late nights & stuff.

reno2004

Retired Member - 1/12/04
HSC
N/A
ok, looks like I might do the flexi thing then. Wat UAI do u need? and do u really need chemistry to be able to understand stuff?

clive

evilc
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Snapwizard
haha yeah, civil does have the tendancy to make you want to cry, but if you do all the assigned work when you are supposed to do, it's not that bad. 3rd year is apparently the killer year :eek:

Snapwizard

Snapy
HSC
Hahahaha I know people who are struggleing with first yr!!

I dont know much about job opportunites but if you want to enjoy uni have have a really relaxing time at uni, Civil is a real killer unless you kick ass in math(but thats just first yr)!!

clive

evilc
HSC
N/A
I found first year to be a killer at first, but once i got my act together and started to understand stuff it was ok, especially second semester. Second year seems so much harder than first year to begin with as well, but it is ok now :)

Calculon

Mohammed was a paedophile
HSC
N/A
I'm considering doing B E (aeronautical)/ B Sc and I was wondering if there are many jobs in the aerospace sector for new graduates
EDIT: Are there any disadvantages of flexible first year ?(eg. not enough students drop out of the course you want to do)

Last edited:

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by reno2004
ok, looks like I might do the flexi thing then. Wat UAI do u need? and do u really need chemistry to be able to understand stuff?
u need 91 or something for it... and yeah, u will b doing chemistry in your first year, under the flexible first year program... btw- by choosing flexible entry- u automatically knock out the options of computer/electronics/software engineering.

Originally posted by Calculon
I'm considering doing B E (aeronautical)/ B Sc and I was wondering if there are many jobs in the aerospace sector for new graduates
EDIT: Are there any disadvantages of flexible first year ?(eg. not enough students drop out of the course you want to do)
na, there's no disadvantage whatsoever- as long as u have the uai for aeronautical- then for sure u'll get in when u need to choose the stream.

and yeah, the job factor is a big problem in the aero. sector- ppl. usually get jobs here in the air force and others go overseas... but u should do it if u like it- and since ur doing a combined degree- then u can fall back on ya B science degree if u cannot find a job wif aeronautical. :)

reno2004

Retired Member - 1/12/04
HSC
N/A
I was also thinking of doing B E (aeronautical)/ B Sc. I was looking around and it seems like the job oppurtinities are very small in Australia, but if ur ready to go to America or Europe, france in particular, there are plenty of job oppourtunities there.

A UAI of 91 isnt too bad, aeronautical needs 92 anyway. By the way, wat is electrical engineering like at Sydney Uni?

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
...A UAI of 91 isnt too bad, aeronautical needs 92 anyway. By the way, wat is electrical engineering like at Sydney Uni?
yeah, u need to have the uai for the stream u wanna get into as well....eg. if u get into the flexible stream, that doesn't mean that u can transfer to space engineering (uai of 99+) unless u have the 99+ uai!!

Calculon

Mohammed was a paedophile
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by freaking_out
yeah, u need to have the uai for the stream u wanna get into as well....eg. if u get into the flexible stream, that doesn't mean that u can transfer to space engineering (uai of 99+) unless u have the 99+ uai!!
What if you get a distinction/high distinction average in the first year?

Winston

HSC
Obviously that's a different case then, that would also demonstrate that since you can handle engineering in general so well, the odds of handling something more specific will be high. In Uni, they have numerous sets of criteria for you to enter into things, it's not all about UAI.

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
yep, in that case u can get in...but remember uai is a factor to a certain extent i.e if u've got the uai- ur guaranteed a place!

I was also thinking of doing B E (aeronautical)/ B Sc. I was looking around and it seems like the job oppurtinities are very small in Australia, but if ur ready to go to America or Europe, france in particular, there are plenty of job oppourtunities there....
yeah, u should b prepared to work overseas...otherwise (as keypad told me) - "u'll b playing pool wif the IT/computer science guys after u graduate (i.e u'll end up jobless)"...this statement might have some truth to it i must admit. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)