flame test colours (1 Viewer)

indeed

HSC
What are all the different cations flame test colours we need to memorise? (different textbooks and websites vary)

Thanks!

Big_Kev

HSC
nah kidding here take a look at these Li, Na, K, Ca, Sr, Ba, Fe (2+ & 3+), Zn are the main ones (pb is the most important to know tho fr make sho u say that u GOTTA USE lead in the flame test 😏)
1692320061608.png

wizzkids

HSC
Students are not required to memorise flame test colours for the HSC Chemistry examination.
The syllabus does not require it, and even if a question about flame tests was included, the data would have to be provided either in the formula sheet or in the body of the question.
The HSC Chemistry examination is not testing students' ability to memorise tables of data.
The syllabus states that flame test colours are qualitative for investigation, not quantitative, and they are highly subjective.
You just have to know that flame colours are unique to a particular species, and why they are unique (the emission line spectrum).

carrotsss

HSC
ikrrr that was so sad
im so glad I never have to deal with SORs vague bs again that subject was so annoying

like i feel like half the multiple choice were more about having technique and being able to read the examiners minds rather than actual knowledge

indeed

HSC
Students are not required to memorise flame test colours for the HSC Chemistry examination.
The syllabus does not require it, and even if a question about flame tests was included, the data would have to be provided either in the formula sheet or in the body of the question.
The HSC Chemistry examination is not testing students' ability to memorise tables of data.
The syllabus states that flame test colours are qualitative for investigation, not quantitative, and they are highly subjective.
You just have to know that flame colours are unique to a particular species, and why they are unique (the emission line spectrum).
I think there have been a few Qs in the past where there were no contextual clues given and needed to know flame colours in short-answers and MCQs:
1692424310891.png
1692424324385.png

But yeah I get what you mean by focusing more on the application rather than memorising, thanks 👍

carrotsss

HSC

synthesisFR

School Spirit Skit 1
HSC
actually on this note,
what do we have to memorise for this section im rlly confused
in terms of ppt and complexation
theres so many flowcharts idk which one to pick as well as complexation like which ones do i remember.

carrotsss

HSC
actually on this note,
what do we have to memorise for this section im rlly confused
in terms of ppt and complexation
theres so many flowcharts idk which one to pick as well as complexation like which ones do i remember.
for precipitates just see if it’s on your data sheet, if it is then it’s insoluble (there are 2 slightly soluble ones on the data sheet too but that’s it), you don’t have to memorise anything

synthesisFR

School Spirit Skit 1
HSC
on this note
hey guys i was wondering if i could see ur notes for the
conduct qualitative investigations – using flame tests, precipitation and complexation reactions as appropriate – to test for the presence in aqueous solution of the following ions: (insert 16 ions)

i just need to precipitation and complexation part bc im having difficulty coming up with a flowchart
i have learnt a couple so am very conrused on what i should be using and knoing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)