fitzpatrick VS Coronous VS cambridge (1 Viewer)

Yaz88

CEO
HSC
hey guys jst wanted 2 no in ur opinon which book is the best for preparing for the hsc.........

firehose

HSC
Fitzpatrick but textbooks are for learning, for night-before revision do a test paper

zenger69

Bok Choyer
HSC
New Senior 3U Maths is good for doing some harder exercise questions rather than Cambridge which is excessively hard.

But use Phoenix HSC MAths Topic by Topic which has collected HSC exam style questions and placed them in topic by topic. When preparing for the HSC and do those questions several times.

Hope it helps.....

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Doesn't matter which. So long as you can understand the concepts you can find as many challenging concepts as you like in past papers.

tennille

HSC
I remember I used that old pink Coroneos book. It was so ugly. :p

But it helped me a lot.

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
nice av tennile!
anyways maths in focus is not here
thats the text our skool uses :eek:

alien

HSC
we had maths in focus and coroneos, and heaps more but they were the only ones i used. best bet is to do questions from both.

illucid

HSC
N/A
the book by Mr. and Mrs. Arnold..... Mrs. Arnold is my 4u teacher at school :p so its only logical here.

^___^
HSC
Jones and Couchman is pretty good

but i don't really see the point of using cambridge for 2u level
cambridge owns in 4u, but i don't think you need that kinda of level of practice to really ace 2u, just practice as much exam type questions as u can and you are set

illucid

HSC
N/A
i agree with the 2u thing... Any 2u work i do i end up going to do exam style questions for practice. The text book isn't *that* important.

sladehk

le random
HSC
all you need is fitz and past exams

HSC
i can only say fitzpatrck is the better txtbook cos it has alright questions and exercises and good examples. never used coroneos as a txtbook before but i have borrowed a past hsc maths exam booklet (from 1980-1993) by coroneos which seems alright but the font is crap. cambridge has shit hard questions and the examples weren't very helpful.

sladehk

le random
HSC
are the "shit hard questions" explained?

HSC
if you're saying worked solutions then...no worked solutions available :(
but then fitzpatrick doesn't have worked solutions either but at least most of the questions make some sense. fitz also has revision exercises and practice exam questions at the back of the book whereas cambridge doesn't have any practice exams but it does have alot of hard and impossibly difficult questions. just my opinion.

edit: i would still say use it as it can be useful for the equally shit hard questions 8-10 in the exam paper. i'm still using fitzpatrick, some maths in focus exercises, j&c and cambridge. but in terms of which one i favour the most between fitz, cambridge and coroneos, it would have to be fitz for the good examples, revision exercises and practice test papers.

Last edited:

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
I liked Fitzpatrick 'cause it was slightly more challenging than Jones and Couchman, our other text, which was good to start with. I like Coroneous as well. Nice to do work outta there in the weeks leading up to exams.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
I had fitzpatrick but rarely used it. It was crap at explaining almost everything. Most of the times we were learning topics i didnt really do any questions from the book, only occassionally. Most of my work came from past papers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)