• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

First Year Subjects - BSc(Advanced) (1 Viewer)

brianphamm

HSC
My maths and chemistry subjects are set, I'm just confused about which biology/physics subjects to pick. Is it wise if I choose BIOL 1903 AND BIOL 1911 for semester one (I've heard they're both similar subjects but I guess it would reinforce my biology skills - I didn't do biology in high school), and MBLG 1901 AND PHYS 1004 for semester two?
And would it be too overwhelming to choose advanced units, or would it be okay? Thanks!

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A
Check out subject reviews and just to let you know - many people found MBLG difficult ~ ask around and you'll know why. But I love human bio and would recommend everyone to study it.

pokka

d'ohnuts
HSC
It's probably not a good idea to do BIOL1903, BIOL1911 and MBLG1901 as the prerequisites are getting 80+/90+ (depends) in HSC Biology or ATAR of 95 or above. Since you made it into BSc (Adv), I assume you meet the requirements of the latter but looking at the prerequisites, I assume these units can be QUITE difficult if you don't have any prior HSC Biology knowledge.
However, if you think you can take it on (who knows? you might pick it up), then I think you should just go for it then if it's not going well for you and you don't like it then you can change to the regular units (or even completely change it to something different if you want) as long as it is before the date when you can change your subject units.
Besides that, I think PHYS1004 should be fine if you want to choose it and whether choosing advanced units is overwhelming or not can depends on how well you cope with the advanced subject(s). If you're undecided on choosing Advanced or Regular for certain units, it's probably best to choose Advanced first then that way it's easier to change to Regular if you think it's overwhelming.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
1911 should be fine
The difference between 1903 and 1003 isn't much (I've heard)
Do MBLG1001

Yay

jet

Banned
HSC
If you're willing to put in some effort, it's not much of a drain to study all your units at the advanced level. It's fairly common actually (among the people I knew).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)