First-Year IT Camp 2008 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
help_me_please said:
yeah i was at the tuesday one. i had a couple of friends at the wednesday one and they said it was run a bit differently because one of the girls was late?

i can't really say for 07 because i don't know what the situ was there, but for 08 it would have def been what you posted above. i had a couple of friends who didn't get in because they were doing ft jobs/internships. there is a heap of work that needs to be organised for the camp (im in the process of organising 2x30pg booklets, tshirts and helping with other admin tasks) so it does take a lot of work which ft people don't have.

i highly doubt that jenny hates you, its probably just things outside of your (and jennys) control that have probably prevented you to participate.
Yeah. One of the girls was late, and it was a bit less organised that the 2007 recruitments. Also, my internship only went for three weeks- and I personally explained that to her. I think she had a preference of recruiting students entering their 2nd years too.

I've refrained from sending her an email about it, and I've also decided not to apply for any positions within FIT in the future.

help_me_please

it nerd
HSC
ok... im sure if you did email jenny though, you might be able to get more of an explanation about it.

but to the 08-ers: you are going to have an amazing time on camp! promise! we have a lot of fun in store for you! :)

masterbaiter69

HSC
Huratio.
Just because you did not qualify for the yellow shirt and sprouts does not give you any right to put down the yellow shirt IT camp.

Are you just jealous you did not get it two times in a row? Doesn't that say something? Such as a lack of a certain quality that does not allow you to qualify for throwing/holding events such as the camp, and being an ambassador for the uni.

Perhaps being just a moderator on a high school forums website is necessary, if you lack the social skills. Maybe this is more suited for you, a less-socially geared individual, as opposed to a more leadership/social type role that is necessary for the IT CAMP.

This is my two-cent's worth, maybe you have to accept the fact that you aren't good enough to be an ambassador for the uni to be a SPROUT or a YELLOW SHIRT. Please don't blame Jenny, and don't rip on the camp.

Last edited:

Beege

HSC
How do you enrol at UTS, do you have to go to UTS to do it? Can you arrange when you want to do it cauz I'll be overseas from the 3rd of february till the 9th. Plus will I miss out on my perfect timetable if I don't do the enrolment soon enough? I've already emailed jenny about the camp registration and she is telling me that if I get an offer she wants me to email or ring her to arrange a time to register for the camp since i'll be going away.

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
masterbaiter69 said:
Huratio.
Just because you did not qualify for the yellow shirt and sprouts does not give you any right to put down the yellow shirt IT camp.

Are you just jealous you did not get it two times in a row? Doesn't that say something? Such as a lack of a certain quality that does not allow you to qualify for throwing/holding events such as the camp, and being an ambassador for the uni.

Perhaps being just a moderator on a high school forums website is necessary, if you lack the social skills. Maybe this is more suited for you, a less-socially geared individual, as opposed to a more leadership/social type role that is necessary for the IT CAMP.

This is my two-cent's worth, maybe you have to accept the fact that you aren't good enough to be an ambassador for the uni to be a SPROUT or a YELLOW SHIRT. Please don't blame Jenny, and don't rip on the camp.
I'm simply pointing out the recruitment flaws which I noticed while applying in both years. I'm not putting down the camp or the SPROUTS program. Here are two answers I wrote as part of the questionnaire to get into the group interviews. Not once have said that the camp and SPROUTS program is useless and irrelevant.

My Application said:
I want to be involved in Yellow Shirts and SPROUTs programs because I
remember the transition between high school and tertiary education as a
very memorable experience. At the end of 2005, I attended the UTS Advisory
day and was pleased by the information received about the types of courses
offered, and what it would be like in university life. The IT camp in 2006
and Orientation Week was an invaluable experience to meet new friends who
had the same interests and would be attending the same university as me.
Being a leadership and promotional representative at UTS to guide the new
students of 2008 would be a great and rewarding experience.

I believe I have the skills required to promote the Information Technology
Faculty of UTS. In the mid year I applied for a transfer to the B Bus/B
Comp course from the BScIT DipITProfPrac course and was accepted. I have
the inside information of both courses and I suppose this knowledge base
is useful for the position as a promoter.
My Application said:
The aims of the IT Orientation Camp are to introduce the ingoing students
to student advisors and lecturers so that they know who to talk to if they
have a query or problem that needs an answer. It also provides a platform
for the transition between high school and tertiary education via meeting
new friends and participating in informal activities. The information
given by staff is important for students to know and the IT faculty have
taken it under their cognition to do this in this kind of fun and
enjoyable environment.

The aims of the SPROUT program are to promote and inform potential
students about the UTS' IT faculty and the courses offered. It provides
students with vital information about university life and the specifics of
subjects involved with each individual course. Receiving this information from not only lecturers, but current students provide a reliable way to get the information across to students thinking about undertaking a course
with the UTS IT faculty.
What I've written is what I believe. I was once a student in Year 12 looking for a course to do at university. I've been through all of it, and I can say with no doubt that these camps and advisory days held by yellow shirt/SPROUT promoters have been extremely helpful and settling into university life.

I was stating in my previous posts that the qualities required to get into this program was purely presentation skills (in my interview session). It does not examine your knowledge of the FIT and its courses required to help prospective students making up a decision on what university to put in their tertiary education preferences.

Just because I'm a high school forum moderator, does not mean I lack social skills. You simply don't know me to make that judgement. Additionally, I've held numerous leadership programs during my years in high school, and also through my employment at a management consulting company for the past one and a half years.

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
Beege said:
How do you enrol at UTS, do you have to go to UTS to do it? Can you arrange when you want to do it cauz I'll be overseas from the 3rd of february till the 9th. Plus will I miss out on my perfect timetable if I don't do the enrolment soon enough? I've already emailed jenny about the camp registration and she is telling me that if I get an offer she wants me to email or ring her to arrange a time to register for the camp since i'll be going away.
There are some things you have to do in person to enrol. Things like: Getting your photo taken for your student card, listening to some faculty talks about the course, getting your CAF form approved, and enrolling into subjects.
Enrolling into subjects can be done online- if you know what you are doing. There is a step-to-step process in which you go through on your enrollment day informing you of how to do this. There is also an eCAF form which you can fill out online.

Contact the FIT Student Centre to see if you can enrol early. I know that Business students have an earlier enrolment day than that, so I don't see the problem in doing it early. Otherwise, you can elect a proxy to attend on your behalf.

TrickmA

HSC
Heya Huratio, via Start@UTS it says we need to come into UTS to enrol. There are several dates, what i was wondering was will we be picking our timetable on that specific day? Or will tutorial registration be held on another day?

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
For enrolment dates- the earlier, the better. You are selecting your lecture and tutorial times as Musk said. The timetable system works on a first-come-first-serve basis, so the people who selected earlier times for the enrolment will get the better class times.

Beege

HSC
Huratio said:
For enrolment dates- the earlier, the better. You are selecting your lecture and tutorial times as Musk said. The timetable system works on a first-come-first-serve basis, so the people who selected earlier times for the enrolment will get the better class times.
:angry: damn

NeoTokyo

HSC
Hey guys, I just got the camp registration forms in the mail. Hope to see you guys there. =)

Shadowrider

HSC
What happens if you forgot to register for the camp on the 6th?

Shadowrider

HSC
Yeah she said to pick up the information that i'm going to miss out on when i enrol (18th feb)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)