first year - extra UoS?? (1 Viewer)

sf_diegoxrock

HSC
currently, i have 13 hours a week at uni (and 10 hours at work on the weekends) and i was thinking about enrolling in a language class (chinese beginners) i was just wondering, since that would be 6 credit points, would i be able to drop off a subject in semester 2? i'm really trying to get out of philosophy!!

do you think it's a good idea or not? i e-mailed the faculty about it, and in the reply, there was mention of the huge likelihood of failure :|

thoughts, comments, suggestions?

thanks in advance

gemmal

HSC
sf_diegoxrock said:
currently, i have 13 hours a week at uni (and 10 hours at work on the weekends) and i was thinking about enrolling in a language class (chinese beginners) i was just wondering, since that would be 6 credit points, would i be able to drop off a subject in semester 2? i'm really trying to get out of philosophy!!

do you think it's a good idea or not? i e-mailed the faculty about it, and in the reply, there was mention of the huge likelihood of failure :|

thoughts, comments, suggestions?

thanks in advance
I don't see why you couldn't drop philosophy. You can still change subjects now if you wanted to do chinese first semester.
What degree are you doing, Arts?

sf_diegoxrock

HSC
the thing is, if i drop phil (semester 2) i have to pick up another subject to use up all my credit points, right?

usyd doesn't offer chinese in sem 2 and the course they do offer for chinese, a pre-req. is chinese in sem 1

i'm not actually doing an Arts degree, i'm doing a Business degree

nemuca

Ultimate Bludger!!
HSC
you're normally not allowed to overload in first year

and you wouldn't have to enrol in extra subject if you drop philosophy, 18cp is regarded as full-time already, but might take you longer to finish your degree (well, i guess it depends on how you structure your degree)

gemmal

HSC
sf_diegoxrock said:
the thing is, if i drop phil (semester 2) i have to pick up another subject to use up all my credit points, right?

usyd doesn't offer chinese in sem 2 and the course they do offer for chinese, a pre-req. is chinese in sem 1

i'm not actually doing an Arts degree, i'm doing a Business degree
Is philosophy a compulsory subject in your degree?
If not, why don't you drop phil all together, and do Chinese, semesters 1 and 2?

sf_diegoxrock

HSC
yeah, i'm going to drop it altogether

but then i'd have to pick up a subject in place of it, right?

nothing else really interests me, i'd love to learn a language though... thing is, all the language subjects running in 2nd semester require you to have completed 1st semester unit of study

:\ if i pick up chinese in sem 2, i'll have to do it this sem too...
that would mean that i have an extra unit of study in sem 1 :(

gemmal

HSC
sf_diegoxrock said:
yeah, i'm going to drop it altogether

but then i'd have to pick up a subject in place of it, right?

nothing else really interests me, i'd love to learn a language though... thing is, all the language subjects running in 2nd semester require you to have completed 1st semester unit of study

:\ if i pick up chinese in sem 2, i'll have to do it this sem too...
that would mean that i have an extra unit of study in sem 1 :(
Why can't you drop phil in semester 1?

sf_diegoxrock

HSC
phil is in semester 2 so i can drop it easily, though i wouldn't know what else to pick up in it's place

HSC
Why is this so complicated? You drop a subject in Sem 1 and pick up Chinese and then you drop Philo for Sem 2 and continue with Chinese.

If you don't want to drop a subject in Sem 1 then you don't do Chinese.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)