first year ENGG1801 help (1 Viewer)

ART

HSC
Hi. I'm currentlyhaving problems with the first CAD Solidworks assignment for engg1081. I remember vaguely from O Week that there is a website where higher year students give advice for approaching first year assignments, but cannot remember the web site. Could someone plz give me the name of the website (if there is one!?). Thanks.:)

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
I don't recall there being a website. If you have any problems email your tutor, or ask Lozzi.

You can post whatever problems you have here as well, I'm sure some of us can provide some feedback on SolidWorks.

Adam

HSC
They pretty much threw you in the deep end with that subject. We're here to help though :p

ART

HSC
Okay, basically, first the assignment sheet tells us step-by-step how to make the simple shape of a connecting rod, but then it says "you r shown some variations in the shapes of manufacturing con rods, others are left for u to search out." So, does this mean we have to design our own con rod? How much detail (i.e. how many added features like grooves,etc) should I include to get full marks? Also, how do you add fillets??-(and what are they?)

Also, what does "Boss" and Extrude" mean? Do we use these buttons to make the fillets/grooves/etc?.
Thank you kind people!

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
Yes you design your own con rod, similar to what is shown, but with fancy features. It's actually quite hard to get 10, but 9.5 is quite easy. Just do a few fillets, change the dimensions, a few other details and you're done.

Fillets are rounded corners or edges. It makes the object look nicer, and reduces strain and stress. Check SolidWork book for exact detail, because I can't be bothered writing it up at 11.40pm.

Boss projects the shape to form a solid. Extrude projects the shape into a solid (ie cutting it away). Again, check your book on what you can do.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Adam said:
They pretty much threw you in the deep end with that subject. We're here to help though :p
What are you on about? 1801 is the easiest subject in the faculty.

Adam

HSC
As in that piece of software and handing in the assignments and what's expected of you....

It may have changed by now, but it was a bit of a bitch (not the content - I got my only D in that subject :p)

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
In 2005, it was the easiest subject ever in existence. Only CAD was somewhat demanding, but that was set by your imagination rather than for marks ie you can easily get a good mark, but it's hard if you have something in mind you want to model and you can only use so many functions.

MATLAB was a joke. Full marks were handed out like flyers in the quizes and 90%+ raw was liberally achieved in the exam.

bubu

oh great... i thought i was goin to have trouble with programming so i did some work on it and im already up to the 4th tut but i didnt no they gave out marks so easily... waste of study... better put my efforts on AERO 1560, KC better not give us a mark for that profile crap cause mine was totally dodge

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
Wait until the Gaussian quadrature (if still in the labs). The concept is really easy, but just messy with all those for loops.

bubu

all i can find is gaussian elimination... which the concept i more or less understand

wats this gaussian quad thing...

p-unit

HSC
whats the deal with everyone trying to make life so complex!!!!!
in my tut every one is trying so hard to get there stuff complex
i think you should just keep the con rods simple and make life easy

richz

withoutaface said:
What are you on about? 1801 is the easiest subject in the faculty.
rly? the lectures are like so boring, i keep falling asleep.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
Neither Lozzi or Langrish are entertaining, although it's quite easy to make fun of Langrish's accent.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
xrtzx said:
rly? the lectures are like so boring, i keep falling asleep.
Just don't turn up. If you need help later, read the slides, works just as well and takes 1/4 of the time.

mikephones

we learnt heaps from 1801,

by missing the lectures we soon discovered the true evil of union specials (ie breakfast that has been sitting for 3 hrs)

mack5

HSC
hi, fellows, does anyone know where i can find solution for previous years matlab exams (1801, 1st yr matlab)?? thx in advance

Last edited:

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
No, but they're ridiculously easy and you should be able to get 100% if you have MATLAB running.

The only question that is remotely hard is the sieve prime question, which uses a double for loop from memory.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
Post a particular question and I'll see if I can give you an answer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)