• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

First Year Course Planner (1 Viewer)

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
I accepted my offer for Medical Science.

And have to wait till Feb 2nd to enroll online.

Then I saw this First Year course planner and COLA thing.

I picked my electives and stuff. Is it real??? :confused:

Did anyone else visited that First year planner thing and picked??

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
And what is the General Education course for Semester 2??
And the 3 UOC for this course didn't register on my planner. HELP!

Lord Ac

Trust me *wink*
HSC
Its just a practise Surivor. Its not real.

You can have it all ready for when you do enrol.

(im pretty sure anyhow ;)) - Its a pretty cool program

Ac

sunny

meh.
HSC
Originally posted by Survivor39
And what is the General Education course for Semester 2??
And the 3 UOC for this course didn't register on my planner. HELP!
The COLA program can pick out your subjects for you, based on your HSC results. Eg, it might recommend you do Higher Maths if your HSC 3u/4u Maths mark was high enough.

A gen ed is an elective - its a course that you do (usually outside your field of study) to help with general knowledge. Your school might have restrictions on what disciplines of gen eds you can pick. See the your schools website for restrictions, and the virtual handbook for the full listing.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Are you going to do Medical Science, Lord Ac??

And sunny, does your general education program counts? It's only 3 UOC. like do you have to sit exams, and do you get HD, DN and credit stuff?

sunny

meh.
HSC
And sunny, does your general education program counts? It's only 3 UOC. like do you have to sit exams, and do you get HD, DN and credit stuff?
Yes, gen eds are counted like every other course and are graded (thats why they're worth credit points!). Whether or not they have exams varies from course to course, and whether they run in session or out of session.

Gen eds are generally thought of as "easy marks" because they don't require alot of work. Being "general" education, they don't go into a very deep level in the subject - makes it easier.

Lord Ac

Trust me *wink*
HSC
Are you going to do Medical Science, Lord Ac??
Pyschology.

In first semester I do 1 subject of psychology and get to choose 3 other gen eds ... ;);)

Ac

sunny

meh.
HSC
Three gen eds? In one session?!?!

What degree are you doing?

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
hmmm, i am thinking of doing Earth - a Dynamic Planet, it's a geology course but it is out of session....
What does it mean compared to In session?

and i have to pay for the field trip :(

Maybe I'll pick Cosmology then. The name is nice.....

sunny

meh.
HSC
That can't be right if its BPsych (my gf does this). Gen eds in most cases don't happen until second year, and even then, 3 gen eds in a semester just doesn't happen. Are you sure you're not getting them mixed up with normal electives?

Ac: please check this, you don't want to enrol yourself in 3 gen eds when you really should be enrolled in 3 electives!

Last edited:

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Originally posted by sunny

Gen eds are generally thought of as "easy marks" because they don't require alot of work. Being "general" education, they don't go into a very deep level in the subject - makes it easier.
yeah, but don't you still "compete" with the people doing the course?? Because there is only a number of % of people getting HD and DN.......

How is it easy in that sense?

sunny

meh.
HSC
hmmm, i am thinking of doing Earth - a Dynamic Planet, it's a geology course but it is out of session....
What does it mean compared to In session?

and i have to pay for the field trip :(

Maybe I'll pick Cosmology then. The name is nice.....
Summer session is divided into three sub sessions: XA, XB and XC.

XA are course that are the longest length, like maths, which are identical to the in session course.

XB and XC are shorter courses. Sometimes gen eds are available in both summer session and in session, and depending on its length in summer session, it may be in "compressed form", eg, GENS4001 Astronomy is available in session for going for 14 weeks, as well as summer session for 2 weeks.

In session versions are longer, probably more work too.

Do not be worried about scaling etc at this stage....uni scaling works alot better than how its done in the hsc!

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
what scaling?? you were just saying that general education courses are easy....please explain...

sunny

meh.
HSC
How many people getting DNs and Ds aren't fixed to a strict percentage.

What marks everyone gets in the end will go through the lecturer in charge of the subject, and its at their choice whether they want to scale subjects (everyone did too well/bad).

Gen eds are seen as easy courses because their content is easier, and its less work - only 3ouc (which means it should be half the workload of a 6uoc subject).

Gen eds can even be fun! You might look at Science And The Cinema (watching movies), and History of Football - now really, they don't sound too hard do they? :D

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
No, they are eeeasy!

I want to do a lot of general education courses. But in the first year, med Sci only offer ONE stingy General education course for Semester 2.
Do you know how many general education courses do I have for year 2 and 3?

if you don't know exactly, generally speaking, do you get one general education course per year?

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Thanks sunny!

NOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooOOOOOOOoooooooooo

Med Sci sucks.......
Only ONE General Education course for the first year
One again for second year
and 2 for the thrid year.

I am sad now :(

By the way, do you do general education courses with ALL Year 1 uni students? or it is mixed?

For example. I pick cosmology for Year one. and someone from Thrid year Med sci or Computing science also pick Cosmology this year. Do we do the same course together? And if yes, would that be unfair?

sunny

meh.
HSC
There are no restrictions on application for gen eds - it is mixed. In a way, it can make things unfair. But that is subjective - chances are you first years will be more hard working than 3rd years :D

This also applies for any electives people might do. Last semester I did a normal elective, INFS1602 Computer Information Systems - a good mix of second year law/commerce, 3rd year comp sci and 2nd year infosys students. I was one of the few first years in the class and I can tell you I did quite well! ;)

Normal electives give you an idea of what to expect from the course code, eg, INFS1602 is a 1xxx subject, ie, intended for first year. 2xxx second year, and so on. 9xxx is usually for postgrads.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Its really strange how MedSci does a Gen-Ed in the 1st year, when I remember reading that a prerequisite to doing general education is having completed 48UOC (meaning 1 full year of study)

I'm doing a Gen-Ed in Feb. and another one in 1st semester...then another one next summer and the last one in the summer after that

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)