First Year Commerce (1 Viewer)

B

Bambul

If you do Commerce/Arts you can actually do up to 4 majors (I know 2 people who are doing that). Personally I would suggest starting off on Com/Arts and then dropping the arts if you don't like it. That's what MinAi did! :)

In first year it is 12 1/2 hours per week (standard), plus there are 1 hour labs every 3-4 weeks. You can cut down the time spent at uni if you work with your timetable a bit. In 2nd semester 1st year I was doing 10-4, 3 days a week (one day was 2 and 2 days had a 1 hour break). But timetables get less flexible the further through uni you get.

Technically only 4 1/2 hours are compulsory, but very few people can not turn up and get in the 80's. Remember you don't just want to pass, if you have a higher mark it opens up doors - for when you get a job, if you want to do further study/transfer, applying for scholarships, etc. Plus you don't have to worry about passing or not, just worry about HD or D. :)

jelly

hello. If you're a straight BCom person. u average 4 subjects a session, 3hrs each = 12hrs in total. (Plus a 1 hr lab class for a subject or so every 3 weeks or so, but it's rare, depending on the subject). That's around average - depends on what major you do, but normally for a typical subject its 2hrs worth of lectures, and 1hr worth of tutorial weekly. Accounting subjects can have a one hit combo - ie. 3hr tute, no lectures.

You needta turn up to tutes (though not necessary - they mark your name off. If you have 0 attendance and still pass, then thats great. If you're borderline (eg. 49%) in your final mark, if you haven't been to more than 80% of your tutes, you'll fail the subject. Otherwise, they'll still pass you.

Some subjects you can skip lectures and still get a good mark in the course. Just make sure you read the lecture notes and do the tutorial questions consistently. The reason I say this is cos some lecturers are that crap that it's really not even worth going to the lecture. Some subjects which need explaining, its probably better to go though, even if you do just end up sleeping. hmmm...should pay uni lecturers more. you pay peanuts, you get monkeys...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)