• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

first pref (1 Viewer)

which uni

• unsw

Votes: 17 35.4%
  • usyd

Votes: 20 41.7%
  • uts

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • macquarie

Votes: 7 14.6%

• Total voters

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
azn_spirit said:
Law @ UTS, sure it doesn't sound that prestigious and it doesn't have that much of a rep
wrong. from what i can remember there have been a fair amount of outstanding UTS alumni. UTS Law has very good links with the profession, through its PLT program. Also, from what I have heard, 10% of this year's Malleson Stephen Jacques clerkship intakes have been UTS students. so nerr :p
but still look at the good points proximity to city (Chinatown, George St, Broadway, Maccas, Yum Cha =D) , a lot more modern than other unis like USYD which seriously need to stop living in the past
stop your stereotypical uni-bashing: both USYD and UNSW are building new facilities for their law faculties. the UTS Law and Business building was built in 1997.
other unis (correct me if I'm wrong) make u go to the college of law in north shore for an extra 3 months of legal training with a $5000 upfront fee and you can't practice as a lawyer until u do it.
but having said that, because PLT is inbuilt at UTS, you do less electives in the combined law degree to make up for it, whereas at other unis you can do more law electives.
Btw, I'm not so sure I'm starting Law this year but I base what I said on what i heard and know.
kids, for the future, please dun uni-bash.

whichever university you end up studying law in, i am sure it will be a fine institution with plenty of reputable alumni. besides, it will be up to you as an individual graduate to prove yourself as a potential employee in the marketplace: something a fancy university name will not help. when you get yourself into an interview, frankly noone gives a shit.

mr EaZy

punchbowl bro- its the best place to live !
HSC
law at uts from what i heard and researched is good. full stop.

but does it feel like going to a uni at uts? coz i read it used to be an institute of tech, isnt that like TAFE? so imagine missing out on the uni law life and all that kinda thing.....

edit: oops not relevant

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
mr EaZy said:
but does it feel like going to a uni at uts? coz i read it used to be an institute of tech, isnt that like TAFE? so imagine missing out on the uni law life and all that kinda thing.....
please read your other UTS thread.

ALSO: that is, as part of the UTS Law Students Society (LSS), we (me and the rest of the Council) are trying to organise and jam-pack the year with as many informative and social events as possible to help you newbies settle in. feel the UTS love :)

here's a rundown:

o'camp: 16-18th February at mysterious location (i'm not sure whether i can tell you the location yet, coz last year it was kept secret)

first year's drinks: week 1 of semester

pub crawl: midway thru semester

intervarsity cocktail party: end of semester 1

another drinks thingo: semester 2

law ball: end of semester 2

Last edited:

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Asquithian said:
10%............thats nice ay frigid. Do your chances of getting a clerkship with Mallesons go up because you are now a new souther?
ummm... i dunno.

either way i should work for it tim...

tell me, what's the diff between the top-tier firms?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)