first in subjects / premiers award (1 Viewer)

gigi31

im a yobbo
HSC
does anyone know what day next week:

1) they will notify people who came first in a subject

2) the 1st in state ceremony/presentation will be

3) and the premiers award ceremony/presentation for over 90 people will be?

thanks!

drewgcn

postpantsism
HSC
In 2004, the first in state calls were made 4 days before the HSC results came out, and the ceremony was the day before.

I.e. this year the ceremony should be Monday 18th and notifications probably around Thursday. But if you check the forums this week, you'll see people logging on to brag it up if they got one anyway.

No idea about premiers, but i have a feeling its in the new year?

Last edited:

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Looks like somebody is expecting one.....

hannahxxx

HSC
Trebla said:
Looks like somebody is expecting one.....

Lol. What is it with people's hostility towards over achievers? If someone puts in an enormous amount of effort they deserve to be recognised-simple as that.(However I admit I may feel bitter about the person who comes first in Advanced/ Extension English lol) :)

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
hannahxxx said:
Lol. What is it with people's hostility towards over achievers? If someone puts in an enormous amount of effort they deserve to be recognised-simple as that.
I don't know how you came to that conclusion, but your interpretation was not what I had intended it to be.

T

Testpilot

hannahxxx said:
Lol. What is it with people's hostility towards over achievers?
I don't think people are against people achieving a 1st or a good mark (because somebody has to come 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc). What you will find is a lot of people are against the whole 'OMG I got 1st, bow down to my greatness like I am a god' kind of attitude that some people display.

gigi31

im a yobbo
HSC
hey i was just wondering hehe
not really expecting - just wondering when

T

Testpilot

gigi31 said:
hey i was just wondering hehe
not really expecting - just wondering when
And look at what that got you a debate on the tall poppy syndrome.

shimmy&shine

HSC
wow i didn't know that people get notified this early!

well, it's safe to say that I'm not expecting a first or 20th in state phone call.

Also, How many students get the premiers award each year? does anybody know this? I'm guessing maybe one thousand? Is that a way over estimate?

hannahxxx

HSC
Testpilot said:
I don't think people are against people achieving a 1st or a good mark (because somebody has to come 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc). What you will find is a lot of people are against the whole 'OMG I got 1st, bow down to my greatness like I am a god' kind of attitude that some people display.

Hey I'm just speaking from experience. People ARE hostile toward me when I come first-and yes I also hate those who are arrogant. The problem arises when I beat this really popular guy in our year(who also happens to be mildly intelligent). I think some kids and teachers have this idea of a "natural order" of who should come first-hence in the opinon of my peers I shouldn't because I'm not "popular". It's a really sick world out there. Teachers have favourites and many make predictions about who will come first in HSC courses before the results arive. I think if the WRONG PERSON comes first then yes, there can be an awful lot of hostility-an intimidation.

That is my opinion.

Last edited:

drewgcn

postpantsism
HSC
shimmy&shine said:
wow i didn't know that people get notified this early!

well, it's safe to say that I'm not expecting a first or 20th in state phone call.

Also, How many students get the premiers award each year? does anybody know this? I'm guessing maybe one thousand? Is that a way over estimate?
They don't do all the top 20. Even if you get 2nd you only find out on the 19th.

I think around 250 people each year get the premiers.

Cereally though, getting first in the state isn't much of a big deal. You just get a certificate, no money or anything. Even for premiers you get some sort of trophy, and a scholarship gets you lots of moolahs, which you can blow on hats or whatever.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
drewgcn said:
I think around 250 people each year get the premiers.
I'm pretty sure there are way more people than that who get the Premier's Award each year. I think last year there were about 1000+ people who were all rounders.

Dropdeadbored

HSC
:mad1: Well this is the first time I've heard about this....

It would be good to get first in the state at something- the closest I've ever come to that was getting an award and an oversized t-shirt for doing the best at school in a Mathematics competition. The shirt was white with some print thing about alan Turing, not that stunning.

But if you're seriously expecting to get one of these awards, then you should wait at home until Christmas, because you'll probably know before then.

If all you get is an award, then that sucks. I got a nice shiny gold award for coming first in a class of 6 people, so why try harder than that?

Though of course, if you recieve one for a subject related to one you want to study at uni, you would most likely get an academic scholarship.

Congratulations to anyone who gets one of those awards- don't think you'll see me with one unless everyone who did the 2 unit Maths exam did really awful.

:santa:Merry Christmas, and relax and stop worrying about whether you'l get the award or not okay? I know I am.... :)

maung

HSC
well noone i know so far has got one, including me. Apparently everyone that got first have been contacted now, so good on those who have achieved that. Would of liked to be on the cover of sucess one books lol...not...

if you know anyone who got first especially the maths, can you guys post

mshiraev

BD pride
HSC
yeh my best friend got 1st in 2u maths. always thought he could, but its so weird cause he never really put effort into 2u. well, he did. but not like he ever slaved away like other ppl who come 1st in something would. it was just always the black sheep of the maths family. what a beast. BD pride

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
mshiraev said:
yeh my best friend got 1st in 2u maths. always thought he could, but its so weird cause he never really put effort into 2u. well, he did. but not like he ever slaved away like other ppl who come 1st in something would. it was just always the black sheep of the maths family. what a beast. BD pride
somehow, i really doubt that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)