first day (1 Viewer)

mibiony

"fully sick"
HSC
does everyone start on the same day? What do we do on the first day? Like what's expected of us?

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Everyone starts the 28th of feb, unless you have mondays off, then you start tuesday, etc.

The first day, you attend lectures, you get your unit outlines and you generally start work straight away. So bring books so you can take notes down.

Be prepared to be thrown into a whole heap of work, you won't know what hit you, but you will get used to it.

Jacks

HSC
the day you start will depend on your timetable and what day you have your first unit, uni goes back though from Monday 28 Feb...if you have a class scheduled on monday you will start then and so on if that makes sense. They don't really expect much from you first day...all you have to do is show up to the lectures and tutes timetabled and they will basically go through the expectations of that unit with you then...they might get you to introduce yourself to the rest of the class in tutes...go round the room, say something about yourself that sort of thing...they won't expect anything major from you so it's really nothing to worry about, lecturers and tutors will try and make you as comfortable as possible and make sure you know what's happening from there. Like Cape said though, bring materials much as books, pens to write stuff down...what happens in each unit itself will be different, but you'll get used to it pretty quickly I think.

Jonathan A

HSC
When I first started it was a Psychology 1A lecture and whilst the workload was a little overwhelming (a chapter to read, printing notes, considering assignments and applying for practical assessments) it was extremely enjoyable.

PLUS, the Welcome Week at your campus (first week) will see a lot of social activities and memorable moments.

aww thats soo much!!!
well i guess i should enjoy doing nothing ... cos i doubt ill be able to do NOTHING for a while.... :(
but at least it will be enjoyable!

theone123

blue essence
HSC
the first lecture and tutes for any subject require less of stuff, then second week they get to business.

Jacks

HSC
that's right guys, depending on which units you are doing the first week is more of an introductory one. They don't really dump you in it so that you're completely lost, though things will get more serious from the second week onwards. Just remember that lecturers and tutors are there to help you, so don't be afraid to ask for help if you need it. If you do that you'll be fine. :)

Jonathan A

HSC
giggles869 said:
aww thats soo much!!!
well i guess i should enjoy doing nothing ... cos i doubt ill be able to do NOTHING for a while.... :(
but at least it will be enjoyable!
Put a little TLC into it and you'll love it!

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
im scared now
but i guess there is plenty of people in the same boat as me
new..clueless..dont know wtf is going on
have to catch a train..*cries

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
im scared..coz i know i wont find my class.. i'll walk in to everything late
probably walk into the wrong lecture room and sit down only to realise its not mine
i dunno why im so paranoid..
i need some re assurance..or someone experienced to guide me through
and catch a train with me...:(

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
I think that we are scaring the new kiddies a bit too much ... lol. Don't worry, everyone on the first day is clueless. And soha, don't worry about catching the train. Trains don't bite :p

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
the freaks on trains bite
i have had one too many bad experiences
argh..im sur ei will over come my fears..
eventually..

Jacks

HSC
cape's right it will be ok, there will be plenty of people wondering around first day back so just ask them, leave some extra time before tutes and lectures to find the right place, people usually stand around outside rooms waiting for classes so if you're not sure if you're in the right place just ask someone. It's normal to be a little nervous on your first day but you don't have to be scared, everything will be fine and I'm sure you will find where you need to go, with a little help from others if you need it. :)

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
lol. Don't worry, i'm quite often on the train by myself for anything beyond two hours on the western line. Nothing bad has happened to me yet, except all the ticket inspectors and transit officers trying to think of every possible reason to fine me :rolleyes:

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
natstar said:
There are cops and transit offierces on the trains most of the time.
I think thats a western line thing, I have caught northern line trains for nearly 20 years cause i live on the northern line, and i'm still yet to see one. lol.

soha said:
the freaks on trains bite
i have had one too many bad experiences
argh..im sur ei will over come my fears..
eventually..
hehe im same with u!
everytime i catch the train i have a bad experience... i jus dont like sum of the ppl that catch the trainz! especially when they try to talk to u... thats why my friend tries to drive us everywhere... jus so that we dont ever have to catch public transport... haha
i dont know how ill survive catching the train by myself... but at least when i go to and from UNI the ppl on the train will be all those business type... so i doubt ill b unsafe :D

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
If your worried, you will tend to be catching the train during peak hours anyway, so there aren't that many homeless bums on the trains during peak hour.

michelleanne

HSC
I have been catching trains to uni for the past five years and I have had no real problems. However, one morning at about 6:30 am (i had a 8am start) i walked into a train that didn't have vey many people and this wierd guy came on with a knife in a leather pouch- and he looked wierd- looking arounda ll the time. It scared the hell out of me and I got off. It could have been one of his tools for work but you cant be sure. Anyway, I got off and told the guard on the platform.

Hope I didn't scare anyone, but u have to be careful.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)