First Crash (1 Viewer)

Jiga

N e way......................

Close encounter today at a roundabout, Im going around it turning right, with my indicators on (And if anyone knows older Camrys, they are quite big and obvious at nite!) and when Im already 1/2 around the roundabout some guy decides hes gonna go then hes not gonna go, so he comes like 3m forward then he should be into the rounabout cos he brakes hard :rolleyes:

Wasnt n e where near being a crash really, but it really does shit me... Im doing all the right things on the road and Im getting/nearly being hit by people who are supposedly better drivers (And get lower insurance costs as a result!)

Sabbo

HSC
BeastHouse said:
Your car looks like a shit box. Why bother fixing it?
Even though there's not a lot of it around at the moment there's stuff called 'rain' and it has a habit of making things rust...I don't want my door to fall of one day. Even though my car might be a 'shit box' it doesn't have to look that shit :)

Anyway, I got a cheap 2nd hand door from the wreckers and got it installed for free. Called the truck driver and he said he'll compensate me for the cost of the door (will see...)

All good

Last edited:

CieL

HSC
BeastHouse said:
Your car looks like a shit box. Why bother fixing it?
Sorry not everyone has a supercar being handed down to them...

Your comment just went too far.... =S

veterandoggy

A Restless Member
Somewhere yonder where the sun never rises
HSC
today i almost had something to contribute to this thread. (wait, i AM contributing to it. never mind...)

turning right off the hume highway on a set of lights. i was on the outside lane of the two lanes turning right, and when the light turned green for us i pressed the accelerator, and found the speedo rising but i wasnt moving much. okay, so some water was still under my tyre and hadnt dried yet. waited till i had traction before going off again, and having turned there many times i didnt take my foot off the accelerator as i was turning, and all of a sudden i had spun around and was facing the car on the other lane. after he stopped to take a look he moved on and i continued into his lane and was back on my merry way again. good thing the other cars werent too close too.

but it made me wonder, i spun out like i was oversteering, but i was in a corolla....

Jiga

but it made me wonder, i spun out like i was oversteering, but i was in a corolla....
Im not 100% of your situation.... but something like that can occur when you have your wheels spinning and then while they are, you turn the steering wheel alot in an attempt to direct the car (but oviously you cant if their is no traction) BUT as soon as its gets traction you've turned the wheel that much that it pulls in that direction and pyhsics cant handle it... spinning you out! Dunno if this applies to you, but its something I read a while back... whenever you have wheel spin in the wet, remember to keep your wheels pointed in the direction you want to go, because once they get traction again, its gonna pull that way! This obviously only occurs in FWD cars.

Last edited by a moderator:

veterandoggy

A Restless Member
Somewhere yonder where the sun never rises
HSC
lol i was turning, i didnt think i was going to keep the steering wheel straight! but yeah, i think it was due to the acceleration and momentum that had begun to build up, becasue if your front wheels are covered in water no doubt your rear ones are too. but i never noticed a puddle, and the floor was pretty dry, which is why i was freaking out.
This obviously only occurs in FWD cars.
lol in RWD cars the back keeps going straight instead of following the car, so the same thing happens, but for different reasons.

Jiga

lol i was turning, i didnt think i was going to keep the steering wheel straight!
Lol yep, still, people can over-correct due to a loss of steering and then when the tyres get some traction.... they are gonna spin. It happened to me the other day and I knew not to, but when you start heading for the kerb cos you've lost steering its like a natural reaction cos its all you can try to do (Apart from stop accelerating and braking)

lol in RWD cars the back keeps going straight instead of following the car, so the same thing happens, but for different reasons.
Yeah, but the whole losing the ability to steer and then over-correcting is only due to it being FWD... and it can really catch you out unexpectingly. In RWD's, it usually because someone it powering through a corner being an idiot.

HSC
FOR RUCKS SAKE.!

some old cunt rammed into the back of my car today while i was waiting in line at a petrol station!!!. :mad:.
and now theres this fucking huge dent thats caved into the left bumper side. i had to pull back the bumper so it didnt scrape the wheel.

the fuckin cunt then went on to fill his tank up with petrol, like nothing had happened. i got pissed off and demanded his licence so i could copy down the details / contact numbers and what not...then called the cops.

i told him to take himself and his old arse rust bucket to the side street and wait for the cops. after a few minutes, he bloody decides not to wait and takes off!!!
argggh.
and i think this guy doesnt have any insurance (or money for that matter).

fucking annoying.!

anyway, got a question.
would it be likely that id need to replace the whole bumper, or just..um...'buff' (is that the word?) out the huge dent?

ill put a pic up tomorrow :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Jiga

Unlucky m8.

Im really starting to think these older drivers are fucking shit, Ive seen one nearly drive into the side of a truck one time, I got hit by one another time after he crossed three lanes of traffic, another time one went onto the roundabout right in front of me so i nearly hit him, and you got hit in a petrol station of all places!

HSC
the aftermath..
it looked a lot worse before the cops helped with my bumper..it had originally been jammed into the tyre :(

EDIT: anyone likely to know whether my whole bumper will be replaced, or just fixed up?

Last edited:

CieL

HSC
ToO LaZy ^* said:
the aftermath..
it looked a lot worse before the cops helped with my bumper..it had originally been jammed into the tyre :(

EDIT: anyone likely to know whether my whole bumper will be replaced, or just fixed up?
I'm 100% positive if you take it to fix, they'll replace your entire bumper

The only time you'll get to just buffer it out is when there's minor scratches and the crumple zones of the bumper have nothing wrong with them....

I've had both experiences in my first and last accident.. (how i got ass jammed and pushed into car in front).. my rear broke in and I had to get that replaced whereas the front they only buffered since there were just minor scratches..

So did you end up copying down their licence and details?

Pretty weird, if I was the car in front, I would of gotten everything done before letting them fill up.. at least I know they'll be more likely to run out of petrol soon if I were to chase them down =]

HSC
yup. im getting the whole thing replaced.
and yeah, i got everything. everything that was on his licence, i copied down. so even if he tried to do a runner, i wouldve had his licence with me. though he did eventually do a runner before the cops came. the old kent.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
Well it doesn't count as a crash, exactly...

But tonight after picking mum up from work, I put a nice 20x1.5cm scratch over the wheel of the new car (well... it's less than 6 months old).
Basically, I was reversing into the left garage, making sure I didn't hit any of the motorbikes in the right garage. We have a climbing wall on the left side of the garage, next to the car, and I got too close to the wall. The part of the car that sticks out, above the back wheel, copped a nice big scratch from a large climbing hold.

DAMNATION!! I was talking to mum in the car, too, about how i'd been driving for 2 years and had only ever put one tiny scratch on the old car. Freaking IRONY.

SuGa BunI =D

broken doo dooo booo
HSC
had my 1st crash today....
i was in the middle lane while slowing down at the trafic light, decided to change into the left lane, indicated, slowing moving into the left lane. the chick hitted right in the middle of my car while my car was 3/4 into the left lane already. luckly, the damage wasnt to bad.... she better pays for it!!

tempco

HSC
Lol, how does this crash thing work anyway? I was in an accident a few weeks ago... some chick reverses into my car and dents my bonnet. Screws up the latch mechanism, which sucks. Should I have called the cops? It was obviously her fault, but I'm not insured.

bizadfar

HSC
ur suppose to get the idiots driver's license number, contact info etc. Call the cops if it's over $500 worth damage. You go buy a new bonnet, and she basically pays up or there's gonna be trouble! None of the cars in my family are insured, and none will ever be(except that 3rd party - comprehensive thing?), but that chick was still in the wrong.

Funny guys i went on the M2 today blacktown to Chatswood. This was my first time, and i was stupidly heading into the "E toll only" lane. At 100km/h braked hard into the striped white area. Could feel massive vibrations as if i'm about to lock a wheel or something. Almost slid into the centre divider, released the brake a bit, and snapped around it. THen i get told, they will just send me the bill if i went through!!!!!!

Last edited:

Jiga

None of the cars in my family are insured, and none will ever be(except that 3rd party - comprehensive thing?)
Yeah thats all Ive got to... I dont intend to have a crash (Yeah no one does - but Im not a retarded driver and my car isnt exactly new) so all I need is to cover the other drivers in the event that Im at fault. I think its dumb to how people take out comprehensive insurance thats worth half or more of the value of their car, after two years you would have spent on insuracne an amount equalling the total value of the car and may not have had a crash! And when you do say have a crash in the 4th year of your policy, after paying double the cars value for it, they write the car off cos any repairs even basic ones cost to much and you get the value of the car back.... so you actually lose out!! The only circumstances I can understand it for are when a young driver has a new car, or at least a car $15,000+ in value, cars worth like $5000 or so are not worth it (I knew a friend who bought a car for $1000, it had a value for $2000, he paid per year like $100 for insurance... why bother) [/RANT]

At 100km/h braked hard into the striped white area. Could feel massive vibrations as if i'm about to lock a wheel or something. Almost slid into the centre divider, released the brake a bit, and snapped around it. THen i get told, they will just send me the bill if i went through!!!!!!
Braking hard at those kind of speeds is a very good way to warp your brake discs :uhhuh:

tempco

HSC
bizadfar said:
ur suppose to get the idiots driver's license number, contact info etc. Call the cops if it's over $500 worth damage. You go buy a new bonnet, and she basically pays up or there's gonna be trouble!
Damn, that sucks. Would have saved me the time it took to fix it.

Jiga

As the driver of a motor vehicle you are required to provide cover in the form of a green slip ( Compulsory Third Party [ CTP ] personal injury insurance). You cannot register your motor vehicle unless you do so.

http://www.maa.nsw.gov.au/default.aspx?MenuID=88
You dont say! :rolleyes:

If your referring to me at least, I was talking about Comprehensive Insurance and Third Party DAMAGE Insurance....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)