FIRST ASSESSMENT--> HELP! (1 Viewer)

zaz_aly_ty

HSC
I have recieved my first year 12 assessment - how scary!
I'm doing coleridge poems for a set text and have to find 3 related texts for each poem.
I was just wondering.. i was thinking of doing a song BUT a few people have told me not too because it is to similar to a poem (which is our set text) and in the HSC it may show that I don't have variety? Is this true?
I really think I can relate the song but I'm scared they will mark me down due to them both having similar style and structure.... can ANYONE please give me any input!!! Thanks :)

meLoncoLLie

adores corgis
HSC
THREE related texts for each poem?! What kind of assessment is it? In the HSC you'll only need a maximum of two, and they don't have to relate to all of the Coleridge poems.

Yes, you need to avoid using a song or another poem, if you use one in the HSC you'll probably get penalised.

nwatts

HSC
meLoncoLLie said:
THREE related texts for each poem?! What kind of assessment is it? In the HSC you'll only need a maximum of two, and they don't have to relate to all of the Coleridge poems.

Yes, you need to avoid using a song or another poem, if you use one in the HSC you'll probably get penalised.
You will not get penalised. Your aim is to present the concept of the journey according to your particular essay's thesis, and evaluate it with concern to a number of different texts. If all your text-types are the same, your argument will weaken, as you only establish some aspect of the journey through a limited medium. Your argument will suffer (which may result in a loss of marks) because it is not supported properly. This is quite different to a penalty.

Pixydust*

i agree with Nwatts - don't be afraid to use a song, if you can write well about it do it! You won't get any extra marks for writing about a different text type if you do it poorly. Though if you chose to do related material in other text types like short storys, it will show your versatility and give you a great opportunity to show the marker everything you know - plus i suppose it gives you more to talk about and some interesting comparisons to make.. Good luck!

zaz_aly_ty

HSC
Sorry- I meant one related text for each poem.
I was also going to use an excerpt from a children's book but again was advised not to because it was the same as doing an animated film. What do you think? I'm running short of time and am getting scared!
Thanks for your help- please tell me if the same applies for a children's story (they just seem to be the best imag. journeys i can find)

Newie_kitty

HSC
zaz_aly_ty said:
I have recieved my first year 12 assessment - how scary!
I'm doing coleridge poems for a set text and have to find 3 related texts for each poem.
I was just wondering.. i was thinking of doing a song BUT a few people have told me not too because it is to similar to a poem (which is our set text) and in the HSC it may show that I don't have variety? Is this true?
I really think I can relate the song but I'm scared they will mark me down due to them both having similar style and structure.... can ANYONE please give me any input!!! Thanks :)

Hi dude!
The thing about songs is that you can use the music to help analyse the peice. Without the music, the words would convey a completely different mood. Analyse both the text and the music and you'll be one step ahead of everyone else!!! :)

MingGe

HSC
Songs are good. Just related them well and throughly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)