Fire Impact (1 Viewer)

hjed

HSC
SMH is reporting that some high schools are being closed due to fires.
What does the board do in terms of missed exams if this happens as they can't estimate based on your rank and the rest of your class's results if your entire class doesn't sit the exam.

Edit: See below for update posted by the Board of Studies

Last edited:

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Well they're fucked. Maybe they estimate in relation to the school's rank from the previous year. Who knows.

hjed

HSC
They just posted this:
http://news.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/index.cfm/2013/10/17/NSW-bushfires-affecting-HSC-examinations
The Board of Studies NSW has advised HSC students in bushfire affected areas to contact their school if they are unsure if exams will occur, or if it is unsafe for them to reach an examination venue.

The Board will continue to liaise with examination Presiding Officers and school principals to update information on its website, where this is possible. This information may change on short notice as further updates are received.

If a student is cut off from their exam centre by a natural disaster, they may attend a neighbouring school on exam day, if it is safe to do so.

Students should never put themselves at risk in order to reach an exam centre.

Students unable to attend an examination due to a natural disaster are eligible to lodge an Illness/Misadventure appeal to ensure they are not disadvantaged.

panda15

Alligator Navigator
HSC
I know of at least two schools that wouldn't have sat the exam. They will probably get an estimated mark, possibly pushed up a few marks due to the circumstances.

hjed

HSC
Yeah, but how do they estimate the mark when they don't have anything to scale the subject by?
I guess they could use a previous years rank like Adrita suggested, but that seems kind of unfair. (I know at my school it could be a fair bit lower than this year's cohort, but it could vary the other way at other schools as well.)

o_creagh

HSC
The exam will be moved to a different school. Does anybody know of anything about misadventure? (still being able to sit the exam, but has been effected by the circumstances)

panda15

Alligator Navigator
HSC
The exam will be moved to a different school. Does anybody know of anything about misadventure? (still being able to sit the exam, but has been effected by the circumstances)
I'd assume the school will cover it, seeing as it effected the whole school.

hjed

HSC
For info on misadventure you should talk to the head exam supervisor prior to the exam or call your school. The message I posted says that if you can't site the exam you are elidgible, if you can sit the exam it probably is harder to claim, but still possible.

panda15

Alligator Navigator
HSC
I'd say that a misadventure could be applied for based on stress.

o_creagh

HSC
no you don't... if a fire is close to you your exams is one of the last things you are concerned about!

BOSBOY

HSC
N/A
Yeah, but how do they estimate the mark when they don't have anything to scale the subject by?
I guess they could use a previous years rank like Adrita suggested, but that seems kind of unfair. (I know at my school it could be a fair bit lower than this year's cohort, but it could vary the other way at other schools as well.)
The bos looks for other known results that relate to the fire exam. For example, Mod History may be scaled against HSC English, or HSC Maths nay be scaled against SC maths.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)