FINS major VS ACCT major (1 Viewer)

rand0m3r

HSC
ahahaha you tried to hack the voting system? what were you thinking?

lucifel

narcissitic angel
HSC
bshoc said:
I just love it how people are arguing about which boring office job is better - they're both sh*t guys, if you're really going to choose, just pick the one you hate less.
but he might (god forbid) LIKE accounting.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
bshoc said:
I just love it how people are arguing about which boring office job is better - they're both sh*t guys, if you're really going to choose, just pick the one you hate less.
I know this is probably not the right attitude to take but I tend to follow on this guy's trail of thought :p

turtleface

HSC
I wouldn't mind considering Graduate Law, is there any difference between this and BLaw? Im interested in IT Law and I could finish my BSciInfoSys that way.
grad law is really good (i.e. a JD) they enable you to also practice as a lawyer and take much less time to do.

for instance at my uni you can do a JD in 2 years or a JD and a MBA in 3 years.

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
politik said:
I wouldn't mind considering Graduate Law, is there any difference between this and BLaw? Im interested in IT Law and I could finish my BSciInfoSys that way.
To get into grad law at usyd or unsw, you generally need a uai of >90.

volition

arr.
HSC
sikeveo said:
To get into grad law at usyd or unsw, you generally need a uai of >90.
how much over 90 are we talkin here? and what kind of uni marks would you need?

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
Im going by what it says on the usyd site. Do some googling for more specifics.

volition

arr.
HSC
Found it
(pasted from the usyd site)
Admission Requirements: Selection rests on the UAI or its equivalent (25%) and your tertiary grade point average (75%). Entry is competitive and experience suggests you require a UAI over 90 and a tertiary grade point average in the high credit to distinction range. Where applicants have completed more than one degree, the tertiary record will be based on the better degree. If applicants do not have a UAI or equivalent, admission will be based on tertiary grade point average alone. Applicants with a PhD, or Masters degree by research or an Honours degree (especially First Class) generally receive an offer. If you have completed one year or equivalent of a law degree, admission will be based on 50% Tertiary Grade Point Average for the completed degree and 50% Tertiary Grade Point Average for your law studies.

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
However im leaning to think it's written similarly to UNSW medicines criterea, i.e. UAI 95+, when in reality you need 98/99+

aleco88

HSC
rand0m3r said:
i'm not sure if other ppl have already addressed this, but you no longer need an accounting major/degree to get a CA. however, there will be a fair number of bridging courses to do.

is this correct? You can do your major in finance and still get at CA but you would have to do bridging courses in accounting.

Would the bridging courses be with the people who give you the CA?

Appreciate any info

ace

is retired
HSC
Why do grad law, why not just do a GDL (graduate law diploma). It serves as a conversion course basically. (google it for more information if interested)

Quicker avenue than doing the full 3yrs or so that Graduate Law takes.

turtleface

HSC
ace said:
Quicker avenue than doing the full 3yrs or so that Graduate Law takes.
2 years at my uni, or 3 years for JD and MBA double post grad degree

ace

is retired
HSC
turtleface said:
2 years at my uni, or 3 years for JD and MBA double post grad degree
As long as people know what they are getting themselves into then ok. Doing grad law, just cause law is law is not a good enough reason.

Good luck for anyone that honestly wants to pursue graduate law. (Nothing wrong with grad law).

On a final note, again doing law for the sake of it just being law and having shallow interest is stupid.

Cheers

turtleface

HSC
politik said:
Does this take into account prior experience with Law, or does the GradLaw Degree replace the LLB that normal First Years take?
No law knowledge is assumed for JDs. Once you have the JD you have all teh necessary requirements to be admitted as a solicitor though (just like the LLB), after you article of course.

JD is one of those american type degrees if that makes sense... I think in the US all their law students have to do a BA or BS before doing their JD. here you also have to do an ugrad degree before doing it. its different from the LLMs (Masters of Laws) which are law postgrad degrees

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
politik said:
UAI isn't taken into account however im not sure if they use GPA or WAM for entry. I think WAM for UNSW Grad's and GPA for others.
Do you know what you are talking about? UAI is worth 25%. GPA is worth 75%.

Capitalist

HSC
Alright, firstly, I haven't read this whole thread. But if someone hasn't already mentioned it, you can do a special accounting course (1-2 years) on top of your Finance/Law degree, which allows you to do enough subjects to sit for the CA/CPA examinations.

I considered it myself, but after realising it'd be 7 years of education... Screw that, lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)