• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Finding related texts... (1 Viewer)

kpq_sniper017

searching through the multitude of texts available, how do u find related material that is both relevant and unique? (i.e. few other people using the same material).

bubz :D

the last laugh
HSC
ummm i can't really tell you HOW to find relevant and unique material... but just keep your eye out. i think at the beginning of the year, my eng teacher gave us a lesson to browse around the library for related texts. or try to think back to a book/movie/article you read that somehow relates to it, whether it's similar or if it contrasts to the set text. it's better to use something that the examiner isn't likely to have read on 1000 other exam papers, but it doesn't stop you from getting good marks :p

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
well, like bubz said, its v.difficult 2 tell u HOW 2 find unique material - after all, thats what makes it unique, not many ppl find it!! i guess, 2 start off with, dont use ones that r on the syllabus as related texts - coz every1 who got lazy and forgot 2 look 4 texts will be usin these. however, its not a bad idea 2 look at the author's of the recommended texts and look them up 2 see if any of their other work fits into ur category. id also try searching through newspaper archives, lookn 4 one off pieces (like articles from the heckler, or other opinion-based sections) - usually there'll be somethin there u can use. if u still cant find anythin go look through university libraries etc. the pieces ull find will be harder 2 understand probably, but no1 else is likely 2 be doin them.
4 in-class tasks, it isnt hard 2 find out what every1 else is doin so u can avoid those texts. 4 the hsc...u can always make one up. no1's ever goin 2 know.

kpq_sniper017

is there any restriction on the medium of the related material u can use? i.e. u could use: poems, newspaper articles, magazines, plays, music lyrics, books, films, posters, even tv/newspaper advertisements...

dom00

Whats stopping you from making up your related texts to specifically relate to the question you get in the exam. They wont know you made it up and you can make it relate and be relavent.

Just a thought

leikWHOA

I actually did that last year in the Prelim course. The AOS was Power, and I wrote myself a short story and used it. I even called it "Belinda's short story "[I forget what it was called]" (2003)" and no one batted an eyelash.

Dunno the policy on it in the HSC, but like you said, no one would know.

kpq_sniper017

60000+ students sitting the exam = ~200000 pieces of related materials - i don't think markers would check. even if there is something against it in the policies or guidelines of the hsc, they can't really prove u made it up.

classics_chic

HSC
just keep reading and choose something that appeals to you. If you read lots of things (and don't do what your friends are doing, that always helps), then you're sure to pick something just a little unusual, because most people do what their friends are doing, their teacher has mentioned, or what's in the study giudes (which I think is really poor).

kpq_sniper017

say for instance BNW/BR:
it's not everyday that i would actually read something along those lines (or even conveying the same issues). is it best just to read stacks of books and hope u come across something related?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)