Finches of Galapagos Islands and divergent evolution (1 Viewer)

jess.ford

HSC
Can some one please describe how the finches of Galapagos Islands are an example of divergent evolution????

Any help would be great

Cheers!!!

samthebear

HSC
Finches are an example of divergent evoultion because based on the food available on each island, a single species of finches gradually over time evolved to be distinctly different speices based mainly on the shape of their beaks (variations within a population results in the differences in beak sizes and shapes). Beaks most suited for finding/eating the food available on the island becomes favourable and that kind of beak becomes a dominant trait as the other finches with less advantageous beaks die from starvation.

Eg: in an island with alot of worms located deeper underground, the finches with longer beaks can reach the worms and thus survive. Finches with shorter beaks cant reach the worms and soon die out (because they starve to death) due to natural selection.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
The finches had a common ancestor that presided in a set place. As time progressed, and factors such as isolation and migration occurred, these finches were able to move to different locations on the Galapagos Island that required them to possess adaptive characteristics that woud have allowed them to survive and reproduce. So adaptations such as different beaks, colours and sizes in response to new food sources, water sources, predators, climatic conditions etc etc. Over time, these characteristics were passed down over generations and they became more common within their specific population. Hence, these finches became completely new species.

jess.ford

HSC
Thank You so much this was the last question in my homework and was seriously stuck coz I missed the first half of my bio class

Thanks again

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)