• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Finance (1 Viewer)

Serious Performance
HSC
N/A
What's generally considered the 'best' (this is very general, but say in terms of recognition, potential employability) uni for finance as a major?
I had heard usyd was, though I know unsw is also very good.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

I know this question seems a bit redundant but i'd really like some peoples' input who are knowledgeable about this in general.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Either USyd or UNSW, makes no difference really - its a matter of convenience cause both are just as good as each other in terms of the subject matter and teaching (I'd guess)

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
id say nsw coz i ve heard theyve got some good industry links...maq is pretty good for finance as well, mq is developing nicely, still ruling actuarial as well :p
it comes down to a matter of convenience, atmosphere, campus, and what ur looking to combine with

Serious Performance
HSC
N/A
How would 'industry links' help them exactly, though? Being more recognised? I go to Usyd so more specifically, I wonder how its finance stacks up to others.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
011 said:
How would 'industry links' help them exactly, though? Being more recognised? I go to Usyd so more specifically, I wonder how its finance stacks up to others.
It means courses are teaching graduates the knowledge and skills that they need in the workplace by using appropiate assessments and textbooks. For example, there is quite a bit of emphasis on group work and assignments.

UNSW prides itself on its industry links. In particular, UNSW Banking & Finance rates highly both in terms of academic rigour (#1 in Asia-Pacific region in terms of research output) and industry knowledge as it offers an undegraduate Finance industry co-operative program which is closely aligned with the retail and investment banks, the highly prestigious postgraduate Master of Finance which teaches the most current techniques and lecturers and professors drawn from the elite of the Investment community.

Serious Performance
HSC
N/A
Would this necessarily mean that much of the matter in some courses at usyd is somewhat irrelevant? It's just that i noticed theres a heap of group work in a lot of subjects even in first year, eg acct 1b, and later eg valuation (in finance).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)