finace & econometrics vs finance & maths (1 Viewer)

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
What is better a BCom (finance/econometrics) (maybe with honours?) or a BCom(finance)/Bsc(maths). Bear in mind the later is 4 years. Which would be better if you are an aspiring trader (factor in the portability of the degree since getting a grad trading position is small).

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
er...maths/stat major, by a long way. why go for some applied stats major when you do the real thing?

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Affinity said:
BSc sounds a bit better
Thanks. Econometrics sound more applied to finance though. Not sure if I should bother with another year of uni for the bsc, when I guess you could do a masters in financial math in the same time, and have two shots at grad programs?

Last edited:

Rorix

HSC
If you want to work as a trader, 100% you should do maths. Only possible exception would be if you wanted to trade equities which isn't very mathematically taxing. However if you want to trade anything else, particularly derivatives, maths is the way to go.

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
The thing is the traders I have spoken to have finance degrees. (not that I have spoken to many).

And actually what would be better? The com degree then the msc in financial maths or a bsc/bcom?

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
The degee is 2ndary as you are either born to be a trader, or your not. I suggest going to the UBS Mock Trading Game and finding out how you handle under the pressure.

I think BE (Elec) @ UNSW is actually quite a good degree for finance, since you its maths and problem-solving intensive, and you can do your thesis in electricity derivatives pricing. Also, you can pick up a bit of computing on the way so you leave uni fairly multi-skilled.

Capitalist

HSC
For trading, definitely BCom/BSc over BCom(Finance/Econometrics).

As Seraphim noted, you have to have a strong interest in financial markets and demonstrate some talent if you want a higher probability of scoring the job. The best way to do this is engage in trading games, such as the UBS one as noted, and others - ASX, JPMorgan, etc; and also having your own equity portfolio would help.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
CrashOveride said:
How so?

Good traders can be made. Psychology is the main thing.
They can pick up the knowledge but from what I've observed, they seem to share common traits with regards to personality, motivation, etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)