Film Industry (1 Viewer)

patty4848

HSC
Hey guys, sorry my last posts didn't work for some reason...
Just wondering, does anyone know about anything to do with the film industry working as either a cameraman or an editor...I'm really interested in becoming one of these and I have no idea how to get into it, what training is required, what the job opportunities are like, and what the salary is like?

Any help would be greatly appreciated...
Thanks

Komaticom

Bored Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Hi patty4848 (Patrick?),

I may be able to help you out.

First thing's first. You don't need a degree to use a camera or be an editor. That field is very hands-on and the first thing an employer looks at is previous experience and referees. Read about editing, read about camerawork. Volunteer to help out on film shoots. With no experience, you won't find any volunteer work in media production houses that do editing.

A uni degree does help, but like I said, camerawork and editing is more suited to TAFE, which is very hands-on and practical.

If you have any other questions, post them up. I'll be happy to help you out, and anyone else interested in the media industry.

G

Gavvvvvin

Got any tips on where someone with absolutely no experience should go to get some experience? Should I try my hand at shooting and editing my own films? Do you know of anyone who will take volunteers that have no experience? Thanks :wave:

Komaticom

Bored Member
HSC
Uni Grad
www.Tropfest.com.au
The forum there is great for looking for volunteer work.

No professional film crews will take a beginner, but the more lower-tier filmmakers don't mind. Just expect to be thrown into the usual rookie roles of Boom Operator or just carrying equipment around.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)