Film Director (1 Viewer)

Eddy Q

OINK
HSC
I'm currently thinking about being a film director, but so far I have no clue where to start. The only thing I can think of is going to America and getting experience from working on sets. Any advice? :confused:

olli!

HSC
How about staying in Australia, and getting experience working on sets?

waza_

HSC
Maybe go do a degree in film production? I'm doing that at SAE with the hopes of becoming a film director

As for experience if you live near Sydney you can go to film studios and ask them for some work experience, I'm sure they'll be more than happy to do it so it helps you in the future

Kiim2507

HSC
Media/Digital Production degree would help. I'm at Macquarie doing media...going to major in production.
If you are really really keen best thing to do is make your own movies! You can't just walk onto a set you need to know what you're doing and the best way to do it is start small. Set up a camera and grab a few friends and shoo something. Edit it together and put it on youtube. If it's decent people might actually watch it. Learn from your mistakes and make more until you get better. Put your work together into a portfolio and send it to production companies with a note explaining who you are and that you want to get into directing and can you do some work experience.
Even if you go straight into some work experience you're pretty much just gonna be a runner..getting food, coffee, giving thing to people. Good overall experience but not really that useful. Imo DIY is the best (just did a whole semester on this at uni :p)

Eddy Q

OINK
HSC
Thanks everybody, you given me great advice. I'll think about this for a while.

Strawbaby

General Store
HSC
Go somewhere like VCA or NIDA. If you're in Melbourne, Swinburne has a Film & TV course that is well-regarded. Make movies with friends. Volunteer to work on film sets doing whatever you can. Practice editing. Enter film competitions. Watch films. Meet people.

Eddy Q

OINK
HSC
I'm in Sydney, do you have any recommendations for me?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)