Film as related texts (1 Viewer)

dudditz

Retired Member
HSC
This doesn't just apply to the AOS of change, but to all related texts of a particular area.
At my school, we were told that using a film as an external related text is looked down upon by markers. (E.g. using something really mainstream like 'The Matrix' or 'Shrek'). Not that I intend on using THOSE movies anyway, but is it true that film is looked down upon? Especially mainstream films? We were told that it isn't a good thing to do because it shows we haven't gone to much effort to find something related, and that we had just instead brought up a movie we liked/had seen recently. In the examples of Band 6 answers as opposed to Band 1 answers issued by the BOS from the last HSC, what our teachers have been saying seem to be reflected by these such answers.
I was considering Fight Club as a related text, but now I'm not so sure.

What are your opinions on this?

team55

Hey dudditz. I think its diabolical that using modern film is looked down upon by markers but thats the way it is. Your teacher is speaking the truth. Im going to use a film thats about 20 years old but rather mainstream and risk it because it is just such a good example of change. However, I do intend to back it up with a second supp. text that proves ive done alot of research.

btw. i toped ur grade for the trial english paper ! ha

skum :)

dudditz

Retired Member
HSC
marcus sup!
You stole my word!

I'm starting my study today, and i need related text. :eek:

Need....texts....

team55

haha nice man ive been studying for a few weeks now. look on news websites they have all kinds of texts for change.

s2ophie

HSC
i don't think the markers will look down on using mainstram modern film texts. in fact for our AOS portfolio we HAD to have an audiovisual texts. Mainstream modern texts are actually in the syllabus (eg Clueless) so they are suitable.

It doen't matter what text you do, it just depends on how well you do it.

Jacks

HSC
Hey,

I agree...the markers will not mark you down just because you use a film. This being said your film, like is the case for related texts of any medium have to be 'related', they have to link in somehow. Obviously if you use a film just because it is well known or because you like it or if your discussion of it is superficial then that isn't going to get you many marks. If the film is one which is an excellent example, is thoughtful and shows that you have actually spent time choosing a related text then that's fine. That stands for all related material like I said...it has to be one which helps in your discussion...if you're clutching at straws and using it for the simple reason that you couldn't be bothed looking for anything else then it's not going to do you any favours.

Last edited:

^___^
HSC
i'm using "the matrix 1"

so yea...but thats only my back up cos i can't be bothered watching it again...lol

callmewhatuwant

im using fight club. i did it for most of my assessment tasks and did ok so i spose the markers wont really care.

as long as u can relate it back to change somehow it wont matter cos they r really marking ur understanding of the concept of change.

tempco

HSC
I'm using "Wag the Dog" for Module C... it was recommended by a few of those study guides, and it's really quite good for the elective. I don't think it would be looked down upon... what would be the basis of that? Then again.. I don't think the movie was even that popular.. could have been a VHS release.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
i dont understand why a film would be looked down on, it's certainly more challenging than other texts

tempco

HSC
True... aside from the actual script (substituting the words of any other written text), you have to consider the cinematic techniques as well.. and maybe subtle symbolisms that would have been pointed out by the text, but you could have missed on screen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)