Fencing (1 Viewer)

kini mini

HSC
This is The Fencing Topic (TFT). This is not about the sort of fencing that involves a bunch of stakes and some barbed wire.

FIGHTING WITH SWORDS

is what fencing is about. I doubt anyone else here except lappang fences, so I'm just going to rant on for a bit pasting info from other sites and pictures for the curious and bored ;)

When most people think about fencing, they are reminded of swashbuckling movies such as "The Three Musketeers," "Robin Hood," "The Mark of Zorro," "The Buccaneer" or "The Princess Bride." In these movies, the hero fights by making broad sweeping motions with his sword and running about the stage or scene, and the winner is clear when one of the fighters is wounded or dies. But modern fencing is a sport with rapid, subtle movements and fast actions. Often the action in an engagement is over within seconds.

Because the actions are so fast in competition, judges would have a tough time scoring the competitors' hits. So to make the scoring fair, most competitions use electric scoring machines to detect touches. Even though the weapons are not sharp, modern fencers must wear special equipment for protection and scoring. In this edition of How Stuff Works, we will examine the protective equipment as well as the electric scoring equipment used in modern fencing.

Protective Equipment
Modern fencing consists of three weapons:
Foil
Epee
Sabre
The protective equipment for each weapon is the same:

Padded, long-sleeved white jacket: The jacket is tight-fitting, padded in the chest area with a high collar, and fastens on the side opposite the weapon hand. It usually extends below the groin.
Padded underarm protector: This is under the jacket on the weapon arm.
Round, padded breast protectors: Women's jackets have these in pockets inside the jackets.
White glove: The glove covers about half the forearm with extra padding on the backhand to protect the weapon hand; the opposing hand is bare.
Wire mesh mask: The mask protects the head and face. It has a padded bib, which covers the neck. The mask must be able to withstand 1600 newtons of force.
White pants: The pants are either knickers worn with above-the-calf, white socks, or ankle-length pants.
Fencing shoes: The shoes offer extra support to the inside of the sole (optional).

Here is the equipment for a competitor in foil/epee: a jacket, mask, glove, electric foil and body cord.
There's part one, and now for some pics:

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by Bon
Do you fence yourself, kini mini?

I'll fence if I get the chance, could help my martial arts training. :D
I do, at the UTS fencing club :). It's one of the best around, the Swords Club is supposed to be good but it's too far from my place.

Which uni are u going to Bon? USyd fencing club is good as well, UNSW lessons are poor though and their facilities are awful. It would probably help your martial arts, you have to have good coordination of the whole body in fencing as in all martial arts :).

hurrotisrobbo

Cabbage
HSC
>I doubt anyone else here except lappang fences

*Grrrr*

What about me, eh? I've been fencing for more than four years. :mad:

Hmm... I hung up my foil about a year ago, mind. Does that count? :rolleyes:

lappang

Dunaferr NK soon FCK
HSC
N/A
Well done kini mini on setting this up it might actually generate some interest in our sport!!!!!! :D
Hey are you going to go to the Sydney Epee World Cupin july?? I hear that the filed this year may be as strong as the Olympic test event in early 2000 aka i think the the major Euro nations will cone out seeing as they can qualify for athens by finishing in the top 4 or 3 in the overall standing in the Teams World Cup!!!!!!!! :D

lappang

Dunaferr NK soon FCK
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by hurrotisrobbo

*Grrrr*

Sure it does!!!!!! You know what we are on about!!!!!!!!
Which club did you train/compete for???

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by professor
lol, luv the pic, btw, wats da difference between the 3 weapons?
The saying goes that

Foil is Art
Sabre is Theatre
Epee is Life

A foil is the modern version of a rapier. It is about 35-in (88.9 cm) long and weighs less than 1 lb (.45 kg). It is a point weapon, which means that only the point of the blade can score a valid touch. The target area for a foil is the torso (the area covered by the jacket), not including the head or arms. Any touch scored outside of the target area (off-target) is not valid. Foil is also a "right-of-way" weapon, which means:

One fencer makes a threatening move, usually a straight arm toward the other fencer within striking distance. This makes him the attacker and gives his actions precedence (right of way).
The defender must remove that threat by a block or parry (remove the right of way) before he can counterattack.
The counterattack then has right of way until the initial attacker defends himself.
The cycle continues until a touch is recorded.
The point is awarded by the director observing the bout only if:
the touch landed on-target
the attacker had right of way
If you think that's complicated, think of the arguments you get on the strip, some judges are BLIND I tell you :rolleyes:. But it happens in all sports :p.

In sabre, the right-of-way rules are the same but you can hit with the edge of the sword and the mask is also part of the target.

In epee there are no rules almost, you can hit the other person anywhere, anyhow. If you hit each other 0.20 secs apart I think you both get points.

Foil is the best wep for beginners as it lets you get the basics right, them you can start on the others. I'm still a foilist only :)

lappang

Dunaferr NK soon FCK
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by kini mini

The saying goes that

Foil is Art
Sabre is Theatre
Epee is Life

If you think that's complicated, think of the arguments you get on the strip, some judges are BLIND I tell you :rolleyes:. But it happens in all sports :p.

In sabre, the right-of-way rules are the same but you can hit with the edge of the sword and the mask is also part of the target.

In epee there are no rules almost, you can hit the other person anywhere, anyhow. If you hit each other 0.20 secs apart I think you both get points.

Foil is the best wep for beginners as it lets you get the basics right, them you can start on the others. I'm still a foilist only :)
From the attached pic you can see that you can hit with and Epee just about anywhere in any style

Attachments

tooheyz

- kmart supervisor -
HSC
dam i would love to go fence... seems like a really interesting sport! hahahha
its getting pretty popular these days

hurrotisrobbo

Cabbage
HSC
Originally posted by lappang

Sure it does!!!!!! You know what we are on about!!!!!!!!
Which club did you train/compete for???
Swords club in Manly (I think... Hmm... :D ), and at school under a certain Patrick Morley (sp? :rolleyes: ) fellow.

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by hurrotisrobbo

*Grrrr*

Sorry, didn't think there'd be anyone else :eek:

Swords Club is great I hear, did you get lessons from Vivian?

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by lappang

From the attached pic you can see that you can hit with and Epee just about anywhere in any style
LOL that is only too familiar, I see the lights are off so they have hit bugger all hehe :D.

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by Bon

I'm going to Newcastle, I don't think there's any fencing there, but I guess I'll see.

I've done fencing before at a camp, good fun. :)
:cool: You never know, there might be a small club there :)

saladsurgery

kicking the cack
HSC
fencing? like with chicken wire and stuff? :p naah.

sounds interesting though... UTS fencing club, eh?
*makes mental note about fencing club and o-week*

maybe it's just the whole "fighting with swords" thing... perhaps i oughta join a medieval club, if i can find one... :)

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by saladsurgery
fencing? like with chicken wire and stuff? :p naah.

sounds interesting though... UTS fencing club, eh?
*makes mental note about fencing club and o-week*

maybe it's just the whole "fighting with swords" thing... perhaps i oughta join a medieval club, if i can find one... :)
Chicken wire..posts and mattocks...any more puns? :p

If you want to join a medieval club there is the Society for Creative Anachronism, they do jousting and so on. But the UTS fencing club is great (so says a member :D), I've watched their lessons and they're very well run too :).

lappang

Dunaferr NK soon FCK
HSC
N/A
fencing.net

Hey kini mini i was wondering if you are a member of the fencing.net forum????:confused:

lappang

Dunaferr NK soon FCK
HSC
N/A
and........

I was also thinking of maybe putting up results of recent tornaments and maybe profiling a diff. fencer each week...what do u think???:rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)