Fehling's Reagent (1 Viewer)

mercury

.:: Hg ::.
HSC
phenol:
you are right that Ag3N is the main substance responsible for explosion, since Ag is stable metal, Ag+ would have the tendency to go elemental, and formation of N2 would release a lotta energy, and since this occurs really fast -> explosion, so entropy wise, this is favoured.

AgN3 + static electricity, etc. -> Ag and N2

However (I shoulda made more clear i suppose) my thing was just a representation of Ag2O dissolved in NH3 (how fulminating silver is formed)... not actually a representation of what makes fulminating silver explosive. The detailed mechanism, I'm not so sure... overall i agree with what you said. And for Fehling's reagent, I think cupric complex can undergo self-reduction sometimes... that could be why. But again, it's not for certain, since I only came across a brief statement regarding this.

Originally posted by abdooooo!!!
it doesn't??? :confused:
No, your understanding wasn't flawed, but I was refering to the explosiveness, not what constitutes an explosion, what you were seemingly suggesting before was that the oxidising and reducing ability of substances determine whether something is explosive or not, which in turn suggests that things like KMnO4 may cause explosions :rolleyes: I apologise if I took you wrong... i should have made my point clearer :p

abdooooo!!!

Banned
Originally posted by mercury
No, your understanding wasn't flawed, but I was refering to the explosiveness, not what constitutes an explosion, what you were seemingly suggesting before was that the oxidising and reducing ability of substances determine whether something is explosive or not, which in turn suggests that things like KMnO4 may cause explosions :rolleyes: I apologise if I took you wrong... i should have made my point clearer :p
no i wasn't suggesting that redox determin whether something explodes or not, but rather they are a factor in the determination... but don't worry i don't know crap... thats why i am repeating chemistry :p

mercury

.:: Hg ::.
HSC
my misunderstanding :p good luck for hsc, practise writing mini essays LOL

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)