feeling sooo scared can someone help me plzzzz (1 Viewer)

HSC
hi guys i got my english marks and i was shattered i got 3/8 for my english assessment task and i was absolutely shattered it was a compreshehnsion task, i reckon though i got like a 6/7, and my previous task was an essay which i did horribly bad getting 6/15 and i am in standard english now, can someone give me tips or motivation oh to get a better marks need advise helpplease really stressing out,really at least want a band 4 or 5. i feel i am like really struggling and in very big trouble.

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
1. Your school may mark very harshly, did most people do poorly?
2. If you really think you deserve more marks lodge an appeal
3. If both of the above are not an option then just focus on improving

Heads up: Most people in Std English at my school got 3/15 for their essays and such but ended up getting band 5's in the actual HSC.

HSC
couple got a few 4s and 5s but still its 15% and essay 15% weighing so yea hard to digest though

Chubbeh

HSC
Don't give up hope! It's still pretty early in the HSC year and luckily it was only a 15% task, not 25-40%. Focus on improving and you'll do fine!

I was getting similar marks to you near the beginning of the year but with hard work and the fear of failure, I somehow managed to get a high B5 for the HSC exam. You can do this.

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
1. Stressing is only going to hinder your performance even more.
2. Talk to your teachers about the feedback you received. Ask them specifically about where you can improve.
3. Practice writing - do past papers (namely paper 1, section 1 with the comprehension) and build your analysis skills.

It's difficult to help you unless you tell us specifically what problems your teacher highlighted. (i.e. structure? grammar? spelling? etc.)

Believe you can better, it's not a dark tunnel filled with no hope. It might take you a while to get there, but you can do it :)

ShadowLighte

HSC
I hear quite often that people who do Standard don't do very well in assessments in general. Is there a reason for that? I mean, the entire cohort can't be doing something wrong. Are the marking schemes harsh or something?

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
Standard English generally contains the 'weaker cohort', meaning they don't give a damn about their ATAR or education. Of course, there are those who excel in the subject, but remember only 0.41% achieved a band 6, which means it's not easy compared to Advanced where the amount of students getting a band 6 was about 11-12%.
that condescension lol some people are forced into doing std, because their school's have grading systems which actually "inhibit" them from doing std.
advanced isn't necessarily "easier" than standard, they both have the same texts to choose from. Adv aligns BETTER than std because a "better" cohort is doing it. It is by no means easier than std.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
I hear quite often that people who do Standard don't do very well in assessments in general. Is there a reason for that? I mean, the entire cohort can't be doing something wrong. Are the marking schemes harsh or something?
I always regarded it as self selection.

Those good at English do Advanced while those poor at English do Standard.

I always got the impression that the marking standards between those two subjects were similar as well. A student may be poor at English due to a particular deficiency in a skill(s) for the subject so their marks will be capped regardless of dropping down to the lower tier subject.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
A very simple piece of advice I can give to you is to stop stressing out over your marks. You need to objectively stress over the type of mistakes you are making and find some ways to reprimand your mistakes, for example, by doing more practice papers and handing it in to your English teacher to get it mark and receive some feedback on it, make sure you know what the exam verbs mean and answer nothing but the question. Avoid having a memory dump of all the information you think are remotely relevant to the question and hope that some pieces of information answers the question, ANSWER WHAT THE QUESTION IS, NOT WHAT YOU THINK THE QUESTION IS, get to familiarise yourself with literary and visual techniques which you can extract to analyse your texts, familiarise yourself with the belonging rubric and make sure you deconstruct it thoroughly and understand all the possible concepts derived from it. You need to be strong, you need to work harder, and you need to stay focused and determined-it is the only way you are going to achieve your desired mark. Actively ask questions and don't be afraid of making mistakes-putting more effort into this subject will reap rewards for you in the long run-best wishes:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)