Feature article (1 Viewer)

Xena

for my half yrly we have to write a F.A. My prob is how do I if im used to writing essays??

tieki

Same here! They just sort of sprung it on us...

Best advice our teacher gave us was to read the Sydney Morning Herald, Time magazine, and other publications of this sort, and effectively copy the language ("journalese", he called it). It's a lot better to do a boradsheet-style (SMH) article than a tabloid-style, opinionated (Daily Telegraph) article, as more analysis etc. can be put in. However he has been giving us hints as to which (out of changing self and speeches) will be the feature article :)

Other than reading and copying the language and style, I can't think of any help to study for them...if anyone else knows anything about them, feel free to post :)

Leap

free falling
HSC
Ok here are a few tips:
Use a rhetorical question at some point - this is a language technique that is definitely found in feature articles, but not in normal newspaper articles.
Also throw in a metaphor, and a hyperbole (i.e exaggerate things a bit) Anecdotes are also good.
Use short paragraphs and present tense, except when a past event is being referred to. Include a headline - use a pun or something to make you look extra-smart ;) And have a catchy conclusion - usually just a sentence or two.
my english teacher says that you can practically write an essay for it, just include the things I've mentioned above at some stage throughout it, and try and add a bit of a personal style to it.

snakeoils

Why do I have this?
HSC
yeah we have been doing practice feature articles... mainly because last year's AOS HSC question was a feature article...

snakeoils

Why do I have this?
HSC
"Write a feature article for a special edition of a magazine. Your feature article should examine how composers use texts to explore concepts of changing (self/perspective/worlds)"

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
make sure u have a heading/title, author and date
introductions shouldnt be as formal as essay introductions, yes it can include rhetorics and examples
within ur paragraphs, dun jus dribble on like an essay, include comments that might relate to the intended audience of the article

Xena

Thankyou very much u have all helped me a lot!! :D
yeah our half yrly is last years HSC, except they don't think we know hehehe

tieki

Yeah, I'm tending to agree with you...our 3U essay assignment is definately last year's HSC question, so we'll see how it goes...

:)

losty

Our half yearly was last year trial and it was soooooooo hard... not that i studied for it cause it was the AOS/langauge paper so all i could do is learn a few quiotes... actually thats not true i could i practically memorised and essay but shit happens... the essay was pretty basic... pretty much how u cant help but change and creative was a radio interview so it was also alright but the language part... arghhh god dam it that was difficult nd really confusing especially this one poem they gave... god dam it we've gotten our exam back and i still dont understand the poem!

Beaky

You can read minds?
HSC
I found this book called

"Success in English Advanced" Five Senses Press

It's really good cause it tells u how to write each style (FA, Essay, Radio Interview, Letter.. etc)

ANd has an example of each

Its really worth while

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by Beaky
I found this book called

"Success in English Advanced" Five Senses Press

It's really good cause it tells u how to write each style (FA, Essay, Radio Interview, Letter.. etc)

ANd has an example of each

Its really worth while
I used that book, got a hold of it a week before the HSC AOS paper - lifesaver
I recommend it too, as a past HSC student

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)