Feas (1 Viewer)

acoc

HSC
Hey guys,

I'm a year 12 student currently in the process of filling out the FEAS form.

My marks and ranks are as follows:

English Standard: 63% (~30/100)
Mathematics: 85% (~15/100)
Mathematics Ext1 60% (~25/50)
Physics ~80% (~15/50)
Engineering Studies ~80% (2/7)
IT (VET) 83% (2/7)

I'm really not sure what kind of a UAI to expect with these results, anyone have an idea? But I have a feeling it wont be 88 (the cut off for UNSW engineering in 2008) So I've decided to go through the FEAS.

I'm going to apply for B Surveying/B Science.

What should I expect to be asked at the interview and does anyone which has gone through FEAS have any advice for me? As you can see from my results, English is really pulling me down, but I'm doing relatively good in subjects such as maths and physics.

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers.

Last edited:

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
When did UNSW raise its cut off to 88? It's 85 isn't it?

You will probably get in as long as you get over 75. Your English mark relative to your extension one mark is much better though.

acoc

HSC
jb_nc said:
When did UNSW raise its cut off to 88? It's 85 isn't it?

You will probably get in as long as you get over 75. Your English mark relative to your extension one mark is much better though.
Unfortunately it is 88 :( Not sure when it was changed though...I was at a careers day at UNSW earlier in the year and the engineering reps told me that it was due to too many people dropping out after first year engineering due to either failing or not being able to cope with the work load. Raising the direct entry UAI will eliminate the students enrolling for engineering which havent done subjects relevant to engineering...screws the rest of us over though :(

BIGTYMA

Focus
HSC
Any pointers on what to do or say at the FEAS interview?

elfm

HSC
search for previous threads on this... plenty of info there

BIGTYMA

Focus
HSC
Just a quick question do u have to send a school report to complete the application?

acoc

HSC
Update: Official ranks now.

English Standard: 17/86
Maths 2u: 13/85
Maths 3u: 26/40
Physics: 11/48
Engineering Studies: 2/7
IT: 2/7 (doesnt matter though)

I went to the UNSW careers day on Saturday and asked a few questions about FEAS, they were really helpful and said that they basically want to make sure that applicants are well suited to engineering; i.e. Strong in Maths, physics and other sciences.

xkeiko

colour my world
HSC
I'm currently applying FEAS for Food science and technology, What kind of questions do you think they may ask? Any advice anyone?

xkeiko

colour my world
HSC
Oh ok. Do you know how many places are available through feas?

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
xkeiko said:
Oh ok. Do you know how many places are available through feas?
Shitloads.

Engineering was unpopular when the cut-off was like ~78 so the only thing they are doing by raising the cut-off 10 points is create more pointless bureaucracy for themselves. I remember from the 2004 cut-off guide basically every UNSW BE had a (V) next to the score (this was when it was at 78 too).

And I bet the same amount of people drop out too.

xkeiko

colour my world
HSC
I didnt know that. Last year the UAI cut off for Food science and technology was 75. Now its 85 -_- It went up to 10 points!!!

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Musk said:
yes and this is from my personal exp

they told me i will fail their uni maths and it ends up at uts i got credits and unsw maths is longwinded so i know if i can go well at uts i can do the same at unsw

lol, no. Comparing the two maths is stupid. I've done both and they're clearly different.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
First year at unsw teaches mathematical fundamentals. A lot of the things it covers are highly abstract (things people would consider being useless for their degree). But it does so for a reason, because it makes further study in maths easier. The first year maths subjects engineering students do at unsw will be significantly harder because of this. In 2nd year and onwards in maths you split off into maths courses designed for your degree and the maths you learn in them will actually get applied to your other non math subjects. Engineering students do separate maths subjects to pure maths majors, for example. Maths in 2nd year does actually become a bit easier in my opinion.

In contrast uts tends to tailor the math it teaches to the degree. It teaches a lot of physical modelling problems, oscillations, DE's etc which tend to be left for later years at unsw. The maths you do in first year is dependent on your degree.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
1. You may not need it directly, but it ties in with everything indirectly. Its amazing how many people do not even know what the abstract definition of a limit is, even though they use limits almost every time they do a question involving mathematics. Knowing why something works makes learning how it works a lot easier.
2. Its a lot easier on the student and uni to offer one subject that covers the fundamentals of all maths that help in the teaching specific branches of maths later on than separating it all and having to repeat the same material over and over in a number of different subjects.

Li0n

spiKu
HSC
Musk said:
Well Limits or the ratio test don't have anything to do with Structural Design

YOu are almost as stupid as that dumb indian mining faggot guy

Originality

HSC
Musk said:
make sure you have good grades or otherwise they will insult you
How do they dat?? Like look at ur rank/grade and just criticise u?
And wat is bad grade?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)