Fe(II) re: flame test (1 Viewer)

rhia

salty
HSC
i have a mean little question in front of me that is asking what colour flame Fe(II) ions would produce, but i am unable to locate this information anywhere. any colour, no colour?

priesty

formerly wm_abusef
HSC
rhia said:
i have a mean little question in front of me that is asking what colour flame Fe(II) ions would produce, but i am unable to locate this information anywhere. any colour, no colour?
if memory serves me right you will find the answer in Chemistry Contexts 2.

but i dont think its in the syllabus as part of the flame testing. we used the solubility rules to distinguish it.

rhia

salty
HSC
wm_abusef said:
if memory serves me right you will find the answer in Chemistry Contexts 2.

but i dont think its in the syllabus as part of the flame testing. we used the solubility rules to distinguish it.
i don't have chemistry contexts 2.

and i know it's not in the syllabus, but it's in a question in front of me that i need to answer.

priesty

formerly wm_abusef
HSC
rhia said:
i don't have chemistry contexts 2.

and i know it's not in the syllabus, but it's in a question in front of me that i need to answer.
hmm.... if no ones got it to ya by the time i get home, i'll be sure to get it out to you :) - havent got my contexts with me :p

rhia

salty
HSC
wm_abusef said:
hmm.... if no ones got it to ya by the time i get home, i'll be sure to get it out to you :) - havent got my contexts with me :p
*bows in worship* then you must safetly get home!

P

pLuvia

I've checked through my textbooks and tutor notes, don't seem to be able to find the answer. You can use your solubility rules to distinguish it though

onebytwo

Recession '08
HSC
i know that iron(3) nitrate turns the flame yellow. its probably6 completely different to iron (2)

priesty

formerly wm_abusef
HSC
pLuvia said:
I've checked through my textbooks and tutor notes, don't seem to be able to find the answer. You can use your solubility rules to distinguish it though
pLuvia is right :mad1: for once Contexts doesn't have the unecessary bit of information that we actually DO need.... i swear i thought it was in there. but i must have been mistaken. the other option or reason for that is that when Fe(II) is put into a flame there is no colour produced.

so, the other ways of distinguishing it remain:
a)Add dilute sodium hydroxide solution to a solution of the substance. = pale green precipitate formed

b)Add dilute ammonia solution to a solution of the substance. = pale green precipitate formed

c) decolourises acidified dilute potassium permanganate solution.

sorry :(

P

pLuvia

Don't worry too much about the question because it'll never turn up in exams

rhia

salty
HSC
pLuvia said:
Don't worry too much about the question because it'll never turn up in exams
i get such bastards of assessments. cry. oh well, thanks for your help guys.

horsegal

HSC
rhia said:
The reason why they don't tell you what the flame colour for Fe(II) ions produces is because it is really boring - red.
They only say the ones like copper, because they are cool colours, whereas the Fe(II) and Fe(III) flame colours are just red.

Edge_Head

Glavenopolis
HSC
But didnt anyone do this in a prac? We done it with a whole bunch of chemicals, spraying it into the flame of the bunsen...yeah.:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)