Fave author? (1 Viewer)

piccaninny

invisible
HSC
i dont have favourite one, but i dont really like Virginia Woolf i just can't understand what she writes about especially in book called 'waves"

bob_the_catdog

i can't belive no one has mentioned Michael Crichton. i think he is the best writer by country mile. his mix of scientific facts with a thrilling plots are superb.

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Among my favourite authors;
-Franz Kafka (See nickname. Depressing yet interesting. One thing I like is how much there is in even some of the really short stories, like The Cares Of A Family Man. which is curiously creepy. http://www.geocities.com/rowsofhouses/kafka.html )
-Hermann Broch (He has a really good writing style, very poetic. The Death Of Virgil is one of my favourite novels, dealing with many concerns in beautiful prose, and the joys of subtle allegory)
-George Orwell
-Anton Chekhov
-Tom Stoppard (The depressing thing about his stuff is realising that I won't ever be that clever and/or witty)
-Etc:

lady Arre

HSC
:: ck :: said:
grisham and king... luvv their work

hmmm and to kill a mockingbird is one of my fav books of all time... but that's the only harper lee book i have read so yeah ...
its the only book she wrote!

Weeping Brook

HSC
Am I the only one accursed with an intense hatred of contemporary commercial authors??

If you're gonna read you might as well read the best, man. Literature needs to be resurrected. My favourite author is Leo Tolstoy, perhaps you've heard of him?

live.fast

HSC
N/A
You kids gotta start reading the REAL books.

J.R.R Tolkien
C.S Lewis
Orson Scott Card
Michael Crichton
John Grisham
Brian Herbert
Robert Jordan

Tolkien ESPECIALLY. now HE was a truuuueee genius. NOBODY compares to Tolkien. NOBODY!!

=)

SiZmOs

"Shaken, not stirred."
HSC
when im in the mood for non-stop out of this world action, matthew reilly is my go-to guy.

Always

HSC
Jane Austen, hands down. Not just Pride & Prejudice either. I've read all of her books and loved them all.

HSC
Always said:
Jane Austen, hands down. Not just Pride & Prejudice either. I've read all of her books and loved them all.
Ohh me too. I love Jane Austen.

My other favourite author is Kathy Reichs.

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
Sara Douglas is my favourite author as far as I'm concerned. Her books are laden with a good mix of fantasy and sometimes history (namely 'The Crucible' trilogy), though her psedo-spiritual endings put me off sometimes.

Robert Jordan is also good as I find it amazing how someone can cleverly integrate historical, scientific, religious and any other sort of allusion you can poke a stick at in to a character driven plot that reads more like a real life drama than a fantasy series (The Wheel of Time)

daledugahole

HSC
Jane Austen is my all time favourite author. I've read almost all of her novels (half way through Mansfield Park at the moment but I haven't read Northanger Abbey yet) and I have never met a fictional character that I've fallen in love with quite like Mr Darcy.

I also love Harper Lee and Virginia Woolf. To Kill A Mockingbird has to be one of the greatest novels ever written, the world would be a better place if everyone has read it. Mrs Dalloway is a fantastic novel it also gave me a better appreciation for The Hours (hehe it also gave me great marks for my Ex English presentation in yr 11).

My favourite more contemporary authors are Helen Garner and Tim Winton both very different authors but both Aussies. Joe Cinque's Consolation (Garner) is one of the saddest and gut wrenching books I've ever read definately worth reading especially if you're interested in law and the justice system. Tim Winton has this amazingly poetic way of capturing the Australian environment I absolutely loved Dirt Music.

Lori.

HSC
daledugahole said:
Jane Austen is my all time favourite author. I've read almost all of her novels (half way through Mansfield Park at the moment but I haven't read Northanger Abbey yet) and I have never met a fictional character that I've fallen in love with quite like Mr Darcy.

I also love Harper Lee and Virginia Woolf. To Kill A Mockingbird has to be one of the greatest novels ever written, the world would be a better place if everyone has read it. Mrs Dalloway is a fantastic novel it also gave me a better appreciation for The Hours (hehe it also gave me great marks for my Ex English presentation in yr 11).

My favourite more contemporary authors are Helen Garner and Tim Winton both very different authors but both Aussies. Joe Cinque's Consolation (Garner) is one of the saddest and gut wrenching books I've ever read definately worth reading especially if you're interested in law and the justice system. Tim Winton has this amazingly poetic way of capturing the Australian environment I absolutely loved Dirt Music.
Omg, soul-mateness! I absolutely LOVE Harper Lee (wish she had written more than just To Kill a Mockingbird) and Virginia Woolf - I love how she is all over the place with her characters' stream of consciousness (as it should be!).

Aznpsycho

Supplies!
HSC
N/A
Neil Gaiman - bizarre pseudo-fantasy is only good if your writing and storytelling is good, and this man has no lack of both. His comic books are also excellent bizarre fantasy.

*hopeful*

HSC
Virginia Andrews but i got a whole bunch of others i really like as well

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)