• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Father stabs own son (1 Viewer)

hit patel

HSC
Uni Grad
This is the real world. This is not one incident but is happening much more in other countries. Kindly step out of your comfort zone to see this. :)

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
I'm suggesting that it doesn't work for the most extreme people. (Forgot to mention that in the first post)
so you want the most extreme people to not be governed by laws?

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
so you want the most extreme people to not be governed by laws?
I'm saying that there are better methods of dealing with them. Turning them into useful people within society > keeping them in jail for long periods and then releasing them after long periods (where they will be even more brutal and evil due to their anger)

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
I'm saying that there are better methods of dealing with them. Turning them into useful people within society > keeping them in jail for long periods and then releasing them after long periods (where they will be even more brutal and evil due to their anger)
this still requires a law though lol which is my point

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
I think part of the reason why we don't have the death sentence here is because it's probably the most inhumane way of teaching someone a lesson (not that they will gain anything after being killed..), just like when the murder killed another person. It's inhumane and no one should be purposely killed.

What we need is MUCH tougher laws. I sure as hell don't want a murderer or pedophile walking our streets.

The government and authorities will waste time with useless laws such as what cars people can and can't drive, but will let a murderer walk free. What has this world come to..
You say this like you're completely ignoring the rehabilitation purpose of imprisonment. They don't just let them out purely because their time has expired, they do it because it's an inefficient waste of resources to jail someone who has already been reformed by the system. Sentencing time reflects punishment and the time deemed reasonable to reform criminals (among other things like deterrence), and whether you like it or not, paedophiles and murderers are considered to be reformable. Yes, personally I would feel uncomfortable to be living next to either of them, but the fact that criminals are released from jail does nothing to suggest the ineptitude of the system. Whether we like it or not, criminals have rights as well and those rights are human rights.

You seem to sound like you're worried about recidivism (re-offending). It might interest you to know that in countries with the lowest recidivism rates in the world, they actually treat their inmates like people and use shorter sentences.

See Norway and Denmark for example because Scandinavia actually have their shit together and aren't a pack of idiots wanting to see all of their criminals excessively punished and completely outcast from their society.

We already have life imprisonment for murder..... but however the government and judges don't really apply it....
Because imprisonment is already a sentence of last resort and the objective of the legal system is, believe it or not, not to hold people in jail for the longest time possible. There are incredibly few circumstances where life imprisonment is actually just. The concern of the legal system is both retributive and rehabilitative, and whether you like it or not, rehabilitation sometimes takes precedence, and rightly so. It's inefficient to have people who are potential contributors to society costing ~$73,000 a year in tax payer dollars sitting around doing absolutely butt-fuck all with diminished rights because a few idiots wanted to see them "rot in jail" for their crimes when it's completely unnecessary. Retribution comes with the sentence but rehabilitation does too. Laws don't need to have their maximum penalties applied all the time, just to have reform at the forefront of sentencing.

And guess what, people are also entitled to mitigating factors by right of being human too.

You still need laws to do that, but obviously it's very difficult for Legislators to come up with sentences that focus on reform because you will get the idiots of society acting out and saying the Govt. is useless, don't care about society, etc and even more so for the Judges to apply those laws.

This is why we need to move to Scandinavia.

Last edited:

Gary_Oak

Taking a Piss
HSC
Guys have you read about reformation/boot camps? Reformation/boot camps for criminals in farms and rural areas have a high level of success as criminals find value in life from giving to society. Read up on it. People who come out of boot/reformation camps are highly less likely to recommit crimes and enter jail again.
Japan has something like that (but rather than a boot camp, its more like petty labor), and its have only a 25% re-offending rate, unlike here, which seem to be 80%

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)